Critical 2005 ATX 6spd Aisin Transmission Warning!

crossbow

:
Mazda 6s
Regarding the 2005 Mazda6 with the new Aisin Warner 6 Speed automatic
transaxle, this unit requires a special ATF called JWS3309. This new fluid
is NOT compatible with Dexron II/III or Mercon and Mercon 5. Dealers may
even 'top off' the ATX with the wrong fluid or internal damage will occur
soon after .
The new 6 speed ATX in the 2005 Mazda 6s's use a Toyota Type T-IV fluid known as JWS3309. This fluid can not mix with Mercon or Dexron fluids. A single half a cup of the WRONG fluid will completely destroy the transmission by causing the clutch packs to lock up, requiring a complete rebuild of the transmission to restore functionality.

The fluid is "supposedly" blue in color, and should not be mistaken for the standard red colored Mercon V fluid. Regardless, please make sure both the dealer, and whatever service department your using (especially quickie lubes as they sometimes "top off" fluids), is aware of this difference, and that failure to adhere to the stock fluid specifications WILL RESULT in TRANSMISSION FAILURE.

Once again, this only applies to the 6 speed 2005 Mazda 6s Aisin Warner Automatic Transmission.

I'm curious if anyone on this board can give us some feedback about this new transmission. Is it any better than the original 5 speed ATX that most of us have? I've read up on it a bit and I know it's supposed to be better but I haven't got any real feedback from someone that actually has it yet.

1) Its not faster then the manual tranny...but it almost halves the gap. (Aka instead of being 1.0-1.2 seconds slower 0-60, its now about 0.5 seconds slower then the MTX)
2) It doesn't have the overheating problems that the 5sp Jatco has. (More consistent shifting)
3) It gets 27 mpg highway.
4) Its one of the strongest transverse ATX's ever build (mods mods mods)
5)Those who have one, or have driven one, say its worlds of difference vs the 5 spd jatco. It shifts quickly and the car has a good deal more pickup. Its different enough that most of the 5sp atx guys are starting to consider trading in for one.

crossbow said:
1) Its not faster then the manual tranny...but it almost halves the gap. (Aka instead of being 1.0-1.2 seconds slower 0-60, its now about 0.5 seconds slower then the MTX)
The manual tranny runs 14.5sec in the 1/4 stock? My auto runs 15.7-15.8 bone stock all day long at 1800' altitude. My guess is the new 6spd will only be 2 tenths slower in the 1/4 than the manual with a good driver and will beat manuals with most drivers.

Ya...stock 6s MTX can run the 1/4 in 14.75. The new 6spd shifts faster, but its still got a higher drivetrain loss, and its almost 100 lbs heavier then a 6s MTX. It'll still be slower (obviously). But the gap won't be gigantic anymore, nor will people have to worry as much about their tranny failing soon after warranty (if they didn't put a tranny cooler on).

I know this is old, but damn!!! Do you think this is gonna be a problem now that the car has been out for a little while? I am most likely only gonna take my car to the dealer for work, but that scares the crap out of me that they'll put the wrong fluid in. Thanks for the warning Crossbow, even though it was a few months ago... I think this is some pretty important info that should be stickied... In case anyone's wondering why I just read this, I just got my 6 a few weeks ago..

I just warn. The issue is going to be individuals who take it to a shop, who top off all the fluids while their changing the oil. Supposedly it takes very little of the wrong fluid to cause an issue, as the two fluids don't intermix and basically coagulate =/.

why doesn't someone buy the two fluids and compare them? Mix em up in a jar, spread them on toast - maybe see how it resists heat?

Back