Which car will you pick from the 2?

misbehave

My best friend owns a 95 EclipseGST( turbo) and is now planning to buy a new car cause the Eclipse keeps getting all kinds of trouble for him. Sometimes this breaks down, sometimes that breaks down, getting hit, getting tickers, getting flat tires, all happened in 2 months.

Well, he was planning to choose from 3 cars, the Mitsubishi EVO, the Subaru WRX STi, and the Mazda8. But after how those assholes from 2 different Mitsubishi dealers pissed him off, his choice is now between the STi and the RX-8.

We test drove the RX-8 today.
It was nice, but the car is slow before 5000rpm. It kick ass after 5000rpm.
And the outlook of the RX-8 is more attractive than the STi, not to mention it is less likely to find an RX-8 on the road than an Impreza. My friend like to buy a comparatively rare to find car on the road.
But the AWD and turbo features on the STI is really attractive.

What do you guys think?
I really want to hear you guys' opinion.

Last edited:
Well if he is ooking for a car to keep him out of trouble, I'd say the RX-8 cause it isn't really that fast. Don't get me wrong, it's quick and like you said very well performing at high RPMs. Just not in the same class as an Evo or Sti.

However, if he wants performance the Sti would be my pic out of all three. It's a great all around car. Monster performance.

As for rarety, yes the RX-8 is rare now, but it's new. I think in the long run the Sti will be more rare than the RX-8. Of course that depends on Subaru's marketing.

My vote Sti.

ive seen a shitload more rx8s then STI's, ive seen alot of wrx's but not STI's, i would personaly get the sti myself..

I still love the EVO more than anything else. The STi is a great car, but it's more of a stylish performance look, whereas the EVO has the hardcore competition look I crave.

The problem is that they won't even let my friend test drive a EVO. (My friend is a 30 year old pharmaceutics with a perfect credit history)
Not to mention those arrogant and rude attitute from those Mits. dealer had pissed my friend off.
I mean, it's only a car less than 40000 dollars. It may be rare in the states, but you can find more EVO than our Protege5 in the street of Japan or Hong Kong. So what's the big deal? It's either the people at the Mits dealer are too dumb to realize they are not selling Ferrari's, or they are born to be jerks.
:mad:

Tell them you want to pay cash...that usually gets you into a test drive without any problems. If not, tell them you'll contact Mitsu of America & ask THEM how you're supposed to buy the car when you can't even test drive it.

One salseman in the Belleville Mits deal even dump enough to quote the movie 2 Fast and 2 Furious (and he even got the name wrong) to try to prove that the Evo kick ass..........

I love when dealers want to talk numbers before you even test drive it...just tell them the car is worth $0 until you can drive it...
dumbass dealers. I was looking at an Evo awhile back and they let me drive it for 30 minutes..man that was fun.

I have seen this before too... most "limited production" cars are difficult to test drive unless the stop selling well. When the RX8, S2000, MSP and even the regular WRX first were introduced, you couldnt test drive them either... but as soon as sales started to slump, s***, they were pulling people into the cars! In my experience, the "I'll pay cash" idea rarely works... first off, very few people actually pay cash for a car, its not a good investment, especially for someone with $30k in disposable income, so they just flat out dont believe you. Second, all they will ask you to do is prove it and they would gladly let you test drive the car! But really, they arent being total jerks USUALLY. They are just trying to weed out the countless losers who come by just trying to get a free ride. If I were out shopping for an Evo, I wouldnt want to buy one with a few hundred "joyride" miles on it, and I am sure most of you would feel the same way. And since they dont give them a bunch of those cars to use as demo rides, they just want to limit test drives to serious buyers. All they have ever asked me to do is fill out a credit app and verify that I am truly capable of buying the car I want to drive, and then we can try it out. But, I am not saying they wont be assholes sometimes... my dad and I went to try out an S2000 when they first came out and he couldnt even get a drive, they said he would have to actually purchase the car, and then he could drive it... if he didnt like it, then he could get his money back from thier "3 day guarantee".

But, if it were my choice, I would get the Evo... I just love that total bad-ass look.

Black Majik MSP said:
Tell them you want to pay cash...that usually gets you into a test drive without any problems. If not, tell them you'll contact Mitsu of America & ask THEM how you're supposed to buy the car when you can't even test drive it.

They don't care about cash. Cash doesnt make them any money, financing does.

My friend bought a new Integra in 1999 from a dealership when he was 18. He inherited some money when his mom died so he was able to pay cash. He was all set to go buy the car from one dealership and went there with money in hand. He sat in one of the new tegs that was on the lot. The guy came out and told him to get out of the car and come back with his father. He just looked at the guy and said "Well you just lost my business, I'll go over to sunnyside acura and buy the car." He went over to sunnyside bought the car and then went back over to the first dealership in the car and pulled in. They guy was on the lot he rolled down the window and said. "Just wanted to let you know I wasn't bullshitting" and he took off.

BinaryRotary said:
They don't care about cash. Cash doesnt make them any money, financing does.

They don't care about the cash but they should want the business to make money off of service and also to have a long lasting relationship with a customer for repeat purchases. You are doing them a favor by going in there.

i was told that i could not test drive a svt focus because "people who buy these cars are very exclusive and do not want to buy a car that has been test driven" (or something to that effect). i literally laughed in the guys face and walked away.

anyways....i would honestly go for the STi. you can't beat the power...even thought the rx8 is a sweet vehicle.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Now my friend seems to have widen his choices after some consideration. He is now also considering buying MX-5 and S-2000.

That means we are going to have 3 more test drive trips to go.
;)
It's going to be fun the in coming few weekends.

If the RX8 is so slow, how come when Top Gear ran the car on the track it had the same lap time as the BMW M3 and the Nissan 350z?

BinaryRotary said:
If the RX8 is so slow, how come when Top Gear ran the car on the track it had the same lap time as the BMW M3 and the Nissan 350z?

I think the same car on the track is different from the situation on the road with traffic people drive everyday.
On the track, you can keep up the rpm however you wanted it to be, you can keep shifting/driving at very high RPM.

But in everyday driving, especially when in moderately heavy traffic, low end power becomes more important.
Just my .02.

Latest posts

Back