Worst car I have ever had

Got this a month ago on motability. The gearbox is awful I can feel every gearchange, sometimes it throws u back in the seat, every week or so get a loud bang and grating sound when pulling away from lights. The suspension is very hard and uncomfortable, a lot of reports that comfort suspension can be fitted free of charge if you request it, my dealer Perry's say they won't replace it and it will get better when rubber bushes soften, "What"!!!. The car speeds up on its own sometimes and there are many other faults, went in for repair and came back with all the same faults. I got rid of a Kuga auto and you couldn't tell when it changed gear, this one you can feel most of them in the cx60 especially 1, 2 and 3. It reminds me of the Borg Warner gearbox's from the 50s. Mazda know about all of these issues but do nothing about most of the issues and the dealer does nothing about the rest.
I have never had to take a new car in for a fault the last 15 years and I have had 7.
This is a lovely car marred by bad design and being sold before it's ready, it's a Beta car.
If your thinking of buying one don't.
Ps, the phev mileage is greatly exaggerated.
Update, motability have allowed me to hand it back and order another car, going to be another Kuga.

I had to google what a Kuga was...lol. Never heard of it. Turns out that here in Canada and the US, it's a Ford Escape.
Interesting.

Sounds like you have a 2022 car, I've read complaints about all those problems you mention. Mine is 2023, with the new, softer suspension, added sound isolation in the doors, greatly improved gearbox controller software, no strange noises and none of those system errors I've read about. Don't understand why your dealer refuses help, if I were you I would report it to your country's Mazda importer, but I guess no point now if you went with Ford. Anyway I wouldn't advise the rest of the world not to buy this car based on your experience with the early production model, mine is great and I love it to death :) Here it is in its natural habitat. I think I rather prefer its looks, not to mention the 327 mechanical horses under this gorgeous hood, to those of Ford Kuga's, but to each his own :)

InkedIMG_5042.jpg

Worst car I've ever had was an 84 Plymouth Turismo. It. Was. HORRIFIC. Not one single reedeming quality.
Worst vehicle I've ever owned was a 79 Dodge D100. It was even worse.

I like to point out that there's a reason Chrysler went bankrupt. Twice.

112fa0a4d9ef53b212d14a637ec2b765.jpg

15224370-1979-dodge-d100-thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Great responses.
Worst vehicle(s) I ever had were all made by the big three in the 80's.
I cannot think of one car from that era that I liked back then.
I've gone foreign ever since (mostly Japanese).

I had a Geo Metro. Nothing more needs to be said.
Bro, I had a 85 Chevy Sprint, which was the predecessor to the Geo Metro. I straight LOVED that car! I only paid $400 for it, and yeah. I abused the every living hell out it it, and it took it with aplomb!
An honest to God 50 mpg. And that was with *me* driving it like I stole it!

Bro, I had a 85 Chevy Sprint, which was the predecessor to the Geo Metro. I straight LOVED that car! I only paid $400 for it, and yeah. I abused the every living hell out it it, and it took it with aplomb!
An honest to God 50 mpg. And that was with *me* driving it like I stole it!

The Geo Metro was basically the Suzuki Swift but with an interior and dash from Chevy. I also got great gas mileage - a used to fill up at 492 miles on the odometer. Drove mine across the country and back! Lost the entire exhaust pipe and muffler outside of Chicago.

The engine was good but lots of electrical problems and the windows were an issue. My girlfriend lived in NYC and I would drive to see her every week. I would park the car on Gramercy Park. The homeless people around there knew that you could open the back quarter window and enter the car without breaking the window. So at least once a month, I would come back to the car with a homeless guy in it. The smell never left.

Last edited:

Worst car I have ever had​

Obviously never a Chevy Vega owner were you organman?

Worst car I have ever had​

Obviously never a Chevy Vega owner were you organman?
Oh man, one of my best friends in HS had a Bluuuue 75 Vega! We had SO much fun in that car!
Ran into him years later, asked him if he still had it, and sadly no. He said, "I would have kept that car for the rest of my life, but it rusted so badly, it broke in half!"
LOL!

Sounds like you have a 2022 car, I've read complaints about all those problems you mention. Mine is 2023, with the new, softer suspension, added sound isolation in the doors, greatly improved gearbox controller software, no strange noises and none of those system errors I've read about. Don't understand why your dealer refuses help, if I were you I would report it to your country's Mazda importer, but I guess no point now if you went with Ford. Anyway I wouldn't advise the rest of the world not to buy this car based on your experience with the early production model, mine is great and I love it to death :) Here it is in its natural habitat. I think I rather prefer its looks, not to mention the 327 mechanical horses under this gorgeous hood, to those of Ford Kuga's, but to each his own :)

View attachment 319870
It seems strange that the dealer or Motability sorted the fixes out.

Great though that we are hearing fewer 'bad news' stories.

Got this a month ago on motability. The gearbox is awful I can feel every gearchange, sometimes it throws u back in the seat, every week or so get a loud bang and grating sound when pulling away from lights. The suspension is very hard and uncomfortable, a lot of reports that comfort suspension can be fitted free of charge if you request it, my dealer Perry's say they won't replace it and it will get better when rubber bushes soften, "What"!!!. The car speeds up on its own sometimes and there are many other faults, went in for repair and came back with all the same faults. I got rid of a Kuga auto and you couldn't tell when it changed gear, this one you can feel most of them in the cx60 especially 1, 2 and 3. It reminds me of the Borg Warner gearbox's from the 50s. Mazda know about all of these issues but do nothing about most of the issues and the dealer does nothing about the rest.
I have never had to take a new car in for a fault the last 15 years and I have had 7.
This is a lovely car marred by bad design and being sold before it's ready, it's a Beta car.
Update, motability have allowed me to hand it back and order another car, going to be another Kuga.
Is a shame that you had so many issues that made you decide to go for another car. I was very scared by reading about the issues and was researching what car I could own instead. However after eight months of ownership and 12.000 km I did not experience any glitch and enjoy driving the car both on the motorway or on twisty roads. I am disciplined with the charging and I do get almost the advertised range and the corresponding €300 /month savings in gas. So I decided to enjoy the car for the moment. The Kuga has been in the market for a while I suppose and there are more chances that issues are ironed out. It looks cool too.

View attachment 319870
Mine is a 23 model as far as I know.
It has all of the issues mentioned.
Climate control doesn't keep temperature constant
Cruise control keeps breaking for ghost cars on the motorway.
Gearbox gets confused in slow traffic. I thought someone had run into me but the big bang and jolt came from the gearbox.
Worst car I have ever had.

Yes. It seems that some mistakes were done. I have had the car over a year and did not experience trouble. The transmission could be better at slow speeds but the range is fine, 55 to70 according to temperature (AC consumption) and 7,5 L /100 km without battery assistance. I informed the dealer that I found the suspension to stiff and they replaced for four different shock absorbers. I also told them that the noise of the tyres was quite noticeable and they dismantled all four doors to add isolation. I am satisfied and love to drive in the clear Takumi version. I must say that the car improved a lot after 5000 to 7000 km of use, specially the wining of the transmission disappeared.

Completely agree - this was also the worst car I'd ever had! ( I got rid of it after 2 months.)

The dealership were't that interested in my problems even though they couldn't fix them. They tried to blame my home electricity system for the charging issues first - so I replicated the fault at two other addresses and left the car with them so they could replicate it on their own connection. It all seemed like lies to me and they knew full well what a turkey it was.

And then there was the bone-shaker suspension. Truly horiffic.

I have a Hyundai ionic 5 now and my goodness - it is so much better than the Mazda. Smooth ride, no charging problems whatsoever and full electric is easy enough - you just use an app to plan your charging stops if you go beyond range. Whoever can, I'd say get rid of the Mazda as life's too short.

Given the choice, I'll never own a Coal powered car.
I keep my stuff until they're worth scrap metal prices. A regular car battery is $150. Imagine what the battery in a coal powered automobile costs!

Nope. No thanks. You can keep it.

View attachment 319870
I respect everybody's opinion and experiences. I bought early in summer 2022 and the dealer changed dumpers, isolated the doors and did a bunch of software updates twice. The car drives excellent, although I would liked it a little more comfy. Acceleration and handling are fantastic and I never had not even an alarm or the infotainment hanging. I am happy with the EV range, 53 km with 90% charge setting on, and 7,5 l/100 km on long trips with cero charge in the battery. Love the white Takumi trim. I was aware when I bought that some hick ups on a brand new PHEV platform were possible although Mazda seems to have addressed them before I noticed. Would buy it again. I love the Japanese cars reliability and If they have good performance is just perfect.

Last edited:
Back