First Mod!

:
2021 Acura RDX
I ordered a front/rear set of WeatherTech floor mats. I have never used them before, but I've heard good things about them! Hopefully, this will make the after winter clean-up much easier :) does anyone else have these?

Also, I bought a rubber cover for my key fob, lol!

Are there any other popular mods for this vehicle? I thought some yellow covering on the fog lights might look cool.

Let me know what your done!

And I was thinking about ordering some lamin-x covers for my dog lights. Not sure how breakable they are. Are the lens on them glass or plastic?

On a side note, have any of you take. Your 17 GT through a tunnel car wash with a track? If so, did you have any problems with the rim being scratched?

Lowering springs but I'm not sure of 100% compatible set for the 17's.

Might as well get the rubber cargo mat/tray to go with the floormats. The OEM one is nice and efficient too. May be one of the cheaper factory accessories available,but one of the best ones imo.

My first mod was tint. I drove around for 4 days with no tint my face and left arm got darker lol Tint is a must, a/c doesn't have to been on that high now. Actually, I think the first mod would be swapping out the license plate light all the interior lights to LED that I took out from my previous car. Did that the same day I took the car home. Tint would be my first paid "mod" if that's even considered a mod lol

If you want yellow fog lights, you will need to use orange/amber overlay. Yellow overlay will make it a bit greenish since the LED fog lights are pure white but more towards the blue side of the spectrum.

My first mod was tint. I drove around for 4 days with no tint my face and left arm got darker lol Tint is a must, a/c doesn't have to been on that high now. Actually, I think the first mod would be swapping out the license plate light all the interior lights to LED that I took out from my previous car. Did that the same day I took the car home. Tint would be my first paid "mod" if that's even considered a mod lol

If you want yellow fog lights, you will need to use orange/amber overlay. Yellow overlay will make it a bit greenish since the LED fog lights are pure white but more towards the blue side of the spectrum.

What percentage of tint did you go with? Have you noticed any vertical scratches from rolling your windows up and down? My buddy has that issue with his Bimmer.

How do you actually use that cargo net that is laying flat on the
ground? I tried looking in the manual, but I can't find anything on it. How do you open it up? It's like hooked together with clips that don't allow you to spread it open.

No scratches. I have 35 up front 20 over the factory tint, 70 on the windshield and 55 on the sunroof.

I ordered a front/rear set of WeatherTech floor mats. I have never used them before, but I've heard good things about them! Hopefully, this will make the after winter clean-up much easier :) does anyone else have these?
For 1st-gen CX-5 the expensive WeatherTech floor liners have several issues especially on dead pedal coverage which covers only a half of the height.

I bought just the front set of Weather Techs for my CX, and they could honestly be better. When I go to set into the vehicle, the slide around about a half an inch. The issue is that they only attach in the 2 points where the OEM mats did, and these 2 points are simple holes in the carpet and not anchors on the floor plan. I wish I had purchased the Husky Liners over them. Husky has dimples on the entire underside, which I would imagine gives the mats a much more stable feeling when getting in.
I bought the WeatherTech, and am very happy with them. Worth the money as I use them year round and they look brand new once I wash them with dish soap. The fit is great but wish the left foot piece ran up higher. Looking back, the 3D MAXpider Front Row Custom Fit All-Weather Floor Mat for Select Mazda CX-5 Models - Kagu Rubber that madar mentioned might be better than the WeatherTechs as I see that the left foot piece runs up higher.
The Weathertech are great in every aspect... Except for one thing. They didn't raise the plastic to prevent dirt from filling the base of the throttle pedal. Stupid flaw.
I couldn't agree more. I purchased the Weather Tech liners because I've had great experiences in the past, but how they designed the liner by the gas pedal is a HUGE flaw. We park on a slight incline and any water held in by the liner, drains right into the gas pedal area flooding the carpet underneath. If there is any standing water on the mat, eventually it will flow into that area which does not have a lip.....completely useless.

I liked the oem all weather mats for the price. (2016 model). Survived several Maine winters just fine. I suppose if you're sloppy or have kids a more rugged mat type would be desired.

I have these floor mats, but be careful if you go to auto car washes and have the interior vacuumed. The Mazda mounting pin system is terrible and if you ever spill soda on the mats it locks the pins shut and the auto wash guys will try to rip the mats out causing the plastic washers to pop off or break. Since this happen to me I pop the mats myself before going to the car wash facility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these mats hard to install? What does it entail? How does dirt get behind these mats? They cover the entire space.

Have you had any scratched rim problems at the car wash? Does it use the metal tracks to move it through the wash?

Are these mats hard to install? What does it entail? How does dirt get behind these mats? They cover the entire space.

Have you had any scratched rim problems at the car wash? Does it use the metal tracks to move it through the wash?

Yes there fairly easy to install. No different than the mats that came with your car except they are rubber. Check this LINK for a video installation on the weathertechs. Dirt does get behind the rubber mat, as you can tell from the video there is an opening for the latch for the gas door. Dirt will fall in there, especially the side of the mat that is next to the door. While these mats do have sidewalls they still leave a small opening for small debris to fall in. Not a big deal as it just an easy cleanup with the vacuum!

Now I know you said you ordered the weathertechs already, but I went with the 3D MAXspider weather mats on my 2016.5 CX5 and in my opinion they are a better quality than the weathertechs. (LINK to a video of the 3D MaXspider) I had weathertechs in my previous car and I was fairly happy with them but I had a few minor complaints:

-The underneath of the mats is just smooth rubber, now my previous car only had one anchor for the mats so the mats had some small play on them. On the 3D MAXspider mats the underneath of them come with some small hairlike plastic that grabs onto your cars carpet. When I first put them in they didn't even move before snapping them into the floor anchors.

- The sidewalls of the wethertechs are fairly bendable. They tend to be thinner in the sidewall. I noticed that over time some parts of the sidewalls warp ever so slightly for them to have a bigger gap for more debris to fall in. I'm sure this was due to the cold/heat. Again not a big deal as there is a small gap there anyways. On the 3D MAXspider mats the side walls are more thicker and rigid and it seems like they will never warp. Only time will tell though.

- The weathertech mats come with a logo of their name in the mats. This logo is glued on. On my previous car, on the driver's side, this logo came off leaving glue in that area and a bunch of dirt stuck to it. Not sure if this was a one time defect on my mat, it never happened on my passenger side. Also over time the weathertechs just looked dirty no matter how much I scrubbed them with detergent and a brush. This irked me a lot, I don't know if it was me not washing them correctly but it sucked when I cleaned my whole car and the mats were also clean but they still looked dirty. Not sure how the 3D Maxspider are going to hold up over time. One thing I do have to mention about the 3D mats is that they have this "carbon fiber" pattern to them that actually make them look like carpet which is nice in my opinion.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to let you know about my experience with both. At first I was going to go with the weathertechs for the CX5 until I read a post in here about the 3D mats, I took a chance and ordered just the front mats for the car to test them out, worst that could happen was that I was going to returned them if i wasn't happy with them. Once I put them on and tested them I quickly ordered the back mats for the car.

Overall I think you cant go wrong with either of them. They will do both do the job. My previous cars carpet still looked brand new after 5 years with the weather tech.

debadge styactiv and mazda cx-5 badge off the rear

plastidip mazda badge on the front

Pretty much did what you said. The LED lights are not blue though. but i nice bright white. Goes well with the headlights for sure.

20226577_10159108062885581_1686533949_o.jpg

20272854_10159108061590581_1007004918_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back