Todays visit to Service dept for Rattling seat

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Have been experiencing an annoying noise in the passenger seat when the seat is occupied. Not really a rattle or squeak, more like a noise when two parts rub together. When the seat is empty the car is dead quite. The noise is more apparent when turning left or right into a curve or when coming to a stop. It's pretty loud, you can hear it over the radio. Almost sounds like the seat is moving but my wife says she doesn't feel any movement.

Anyway two techs took the car for a spin and couldn't duplicate. Then the service mgr asked to go for a ride and no noise. Suggested I sit in the passenger seat, again no noise. I am now convinced it's weight related. It happens all the time when my wife sits in the passenger seat. She's about 130lbs. The techs were 200+, the service mgr was 240, I'm 170.
Either I will have to find some weights that are 130lbs or I have to take my wife with me and let the tech ride in the back seat.

Techs checked under the seat and could find nothing wrong.

Anybody got any ideas?

This is the kind of crap that sours the Mazda experience.

That is why I always go to Freeman Mazda. They have 4 service managers:
Erik 185 lbs.
Steffy 202.5 lbs
Jo 150 lbs
And Rafael 130 lbs

Gives me wide range of selection. El-Dorado only has 180 up. Not impressed.

That is why I always go to Freeman Mazda. They have 4 service managers:
Erik 185 lbs.
Steffy 202.5 lbs
Jo 150 lbs
And Rafael 130 lbs

Gives me wide range of selection. El-Dorado only has 180 up. Not impressed.

Bwahahaha!!! Hilarious.

OP account must have turned into a paid joke or something...

Wtf. Yea...your car makes a noise. Several people ride in your car. No noise. So this noise only happens when someone between 120 and 150 is in the passenger seat? Do you think they heard the noise....and are lying to you? If you think it requires someone a certain weight...do they not have a receptionist? Did you mention it might be a certain weight issue to them? This doesn't sound a little...odd to you?
This is an incredibly unusual issue... Certainly not common... But it's Mazda being bad to you? Really?

Be a little more understanding. I'm no huge fan of dealers but a lot of criticism is really unwarranted...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Have been experiencing an annoying noise in the passenger seat when the seat is occupied. Not really a rattle or squeak, more like a noise when two parts rub together. When the seat is empty the car is dead quite. The noise is more apparent when turning left or right into a curve or when coming to a stop. It's pretty loud, you can hear it over the radio. Almost sounds like the seat is moving but my wife says she doesn't feel any movement.

Anyway two techs took the car for a spin and couldn't duplicate. Then the service mgr asked to go for a ride and no noise. Suggested I sit in the passenger seat, again no noise. I am now convinced it's weight related. It happens all the time when my wife sits in the passenger seat. She's about 130lbs. The techs were 200+, the service mgr was 240, I'm 170.
Either I will have to find some weights that are 130lbs or I have to take my wife with me and let the tech ride in the back seat.

Techs checked under the seat and could find nothing wrong.

Anybody got any ideas?

Wow. Sounds like three attempts to me. Brother, if you call this crappy service, attempting to find a seat squeak, I'm sure glad not to have you as a customer.

Wow.

Wow. Sounds like three attempts to me. Brother, if you call this crappy service, attempting to find a seat squeak, I'm sure glad not to have you as a customer.

Wow.

Ha, I hate stealerships and I agree. I'd have a hard time not laughing at this dude.

Btw, OP, did you happen to complain about the hours it spent you to get the cabin filter in too? Or get them to possibly show you how to correctly do it?

Wtf. Yea...your car makes a noise. Several people ride in your car. No noise. So this noise only happens when someone between 120 and 150 is in the passenger seat? Do you think they heard the noise....and are lying to you? If you think it requires someone a certain weight...do they not have a receptionist? Did you mention it might be a certain weight issue to them? This doesn't sound a little...odd to you.
This is an incredibly unusual issue... Certainly not common... But it's Mazda being bad to you? Really?

Be a little more understanding. I'm no huge fan of dealers but a lot of criticism is really unwarranted...

The quip wasn't directed at Mazda service.
Yeah they have a receptionist but she wasn't petite.
I believe they didn't hear the noise, the service mgr even had me go with him for a ride. It's one of those things that will be hard to find the root cause. I would write it off as a minor inconvenience that should eventually get solved. Check this site for previous problems with the drivers seat. There seems to be a lot of noises, squeaks, squeals and rattles with the CX-5.
Just this morning when I went to leave for the dealer I went to place my foot on the brake pedal to start the car and it was hard as a rock. No play at all. In 25 months I never
felt the pedal like this. Is this a harbinger of another problem down the road? Don't know, hope not.
Luckily the ignition light turned green and the car started. Too many little things popping up.

That happened to me once. It was because I didn't remove my foot from the pedal after starting, I think. Gotta give it a second. I was in a hurry.

I'm a service manager. You're the people we hate. You're the reason CSI scores are lower than they should be even though we do everything possible to assist a customer.

I'm a service manager. You're the people we hate. You're the reason CSI scores are lower than they should be even though we do everything possible to assist a customer.

You people need to take a chill pill. I wasn't talking about Mazda service, the service dept. was fine and did everything they could to try to rectify the problem. I'm talking about a 2 yr old car with 12k miles and a annoying noise coming from the passenger seat. You know the Mazda experience that everybody talks about.

The forum is supposed to be helpful, you sound like a bunch of immature children. I asked for ideas, not smart ass remarks.

Empty all areas in the car - everything - car seat / random stuff in trunk, door pockets / center pockets / center armrest / manual holder area.
Go to an empty parking lot and drive it with or without co passenger. Record it and post that. Better still go to a dealer and do that.
Better idea to even vaccuum and look under carpets.

As far as I know - i have read about windshields / highway mpg being okish but never in too detail about seats rattling.
If we can hear the sound we maybe able to tell. Also confirm if the sound has any relation to car speed. The buckle where your seat belt goes is too close to center armrest console and for some seat settings it rubs against center console. I have seen marks which confirm this.
Push the seat all the way up or back and notice sound. Change recline position and notice sound.

What you say is hard to believe - it only happens at 130 pounds - I cant use this information much to help, neither can anyone else.

You people need to take a chill pill. I wasn't talking about Mazda service, the service dept. was fine and did everything they could to try to rectify the problem. I'm talking about a 2 yr old car with 12k miles and a annoying noise coming from the passenger seat. You know the Mazda experience that everybody talks about.

The forum is supposed to be helpful, you sound like a bunch of immature children. I asked for ideas, not smart ass remarks.

not sure but just throwing this out there, I had a similar situation, my wife forgot that she left a Poland Spring water bottle under the passenger well right under the seat pan, and every time I took a hard turn, the water bottle would hit the seat track and make a noise that seemed like something was loose...take a look and see if there's anything there,

also, another time my wife likes to have her bag next to her in the passenger seat and the dangling metal logo on her bag would keep banging against the center console......just a thought......

or it might me the track notch that your wife likes to set the seat at, it might just be that one notch where it is not locked in tight and allow movement, whereas when Mazda dealers who I assume are bigger and like the seat adjust way back than your wife the notch that they set at is not loose.....

I'm missing the part where he criticized the dealer or the service. I read "This is the kind of crap that sours the Mazda experience" to mean that the car has flaws. Mazda is trying to position itself as more refined, and this sort of thing can work against that.

I feel for you. But, I'm with you. I have a 4 week old 2017 with a high frequency whistle/whine between certain speeds. Noises are effing annoying and little, albeit not major, reminders of quality.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm missing the part where he criticized the dealer or the service. I read "This is the kind of crap that sours the Mazda experience" to mean that the car has flaws. Mazda is trying to position itself as more refined, and this sort of thing can work against that.
No, the OP didn't criticize the dealer service. Just sometimes we need to be careful making any negative comments here towards Mazda. (boom02)

Mazdas aren't perfect yrwei52. We all know that.

You people need to take a chill pill. I wasn't talking about Mazda service, the service dept. was fine and did everything they could to try to rectify the problem. I'm talking about a 2 yr old car with 12k miles and You know the Mazda experience that everybody talks about.

I've never heard of the Mazda Experience that everyone talks about. Plenty of cars have wierd issues, even brand new ones. Check out the CR-V forum, or ANY car forum.

Can you try maybe taking a video?

Sometimes your ears can play tricks on you. The sound may not be coming from the front passenger seat where you think it is.

1. Look for a loose object under a seat or in the hatch. I once had a similar rattling sound problem. It was a can of tire inflator rattling around in the spare tire area.

2. Drive the car with your wife sitting in the front passenger seat. Have a third person sit in a rear seat. The rear seat passenger may hear the sound coming from a different source than you do.

Again, wow. What a whiner. So, your TWO YEAR OLD car has a rattle that didn't get fixed on the first visit. And that has "SOURED the Mazda experience"?

I guess "the experience" is a perfect car forever, eh?

You want ideas? Here's one: Grow a pair and find it yourself if you think it's so easy ... it's just a chair not an engine.

Here's another one: buy a Toyota. Mine's a 2010, 80K, no squeaks, no rattles, nada. I do have to wash it myself tho.

Again, wow. What a whiner. So, your TWO YEAR OLD car has a rattle that didn't get fixed on the first visit. And that has "SOURED the Mazda experience"?

I guess "the experience" is a perfect car forever, eh?

You want ideas? Here's one: Grow a pair and find it yourself if you think it's so easy ... it's just a chair not an engine.

Here's another one: buy a Toyota. Mine's a 2010, 80K, no squeaks, no rattles, nada. I do have to wash it myself tho.

I don't require a perfect car, just one that doesn't make enough noise that you can hear it over the radio.

Anyway, for those that are interested, I removed the seat, inspected everything to see if anything looked out of place and put everything back. Noise is gone, go figure.

Thanks to those that offered solutions, the rest can take a hike.

Back