Small Body Panel in Front of 2017 Hood?

Forgive me if this has been answered but I've been in and out lately. Can someone explain why Mazda had to add that small "extra" body panel in front of the front edge of the hood on the 2017 CX-5? To me it just looks like an add on and I don't understand why the hood couldn't just extend out to cover that space like it did in the previous year models. So far I am not a fan of the new snout on the 2017 and this "extra" piece is part of the reason why. Anyway...can someone explain that panel's purpose?
Thx!
Bill

I think it's just a matter of convenience. They could extend the hood to the same point but it just provides a location to land and latch the hood.

1st post... Is it also to meet pedestrian safety regulations in case of collision? Not sure.

The grill is inset deeply with the Mazda logo protruding out from there and encased in what looks like thick clear plastic coating. The extra piece you mention sits flush above the logo. If that extra piece wasn't there, the logo would stick out a few inches past the end of the hood. I think the plastic encased badge has something to do with the radar cruise control, but I'm not sure either.

The 2017 CX-9 has it also. Maybe Mazda wanted the 2017 CX-5s grille to look similar to the CX-9s grille?

The 2017 CX-5s grille looks a little larger than the 2016.5. The front end of the car is dominated by the grille. I think it looks good on the car. Ive noticed other auto makers such as Lexus and Audi are doing the same thing: oversizing the grille. It must be for aesthetic/styling reasons and not for functional reasons. I doubt those cars need more cooling capacity and therefore need larger radiators especially with smaller engines being used nowadays. By oversizing the grille, it alludes to more power. Also, theres no front bumper on the CX-5 to protect the grille so it wont take much of a bump to damage it. But with the grilles gridwork recessed like it is, its protected a little.

Back