Strange Headlamp Highbeam behaviour (2013 CX-5)

rapster88

:
Mazda CX-5
Hi,

I have 2013 CX-5 and recently I started noticing that the right-side headlamp's high beam won't go off to low beam instantly if I put it down from the switch. I also noticed that the longer I put on the high beam, the longer it would take for that side's lamp to go to low beam (e.g. 30+ seconds of high beam will cause 2 to 3 seconds delay).

My car has already expired for warranty so I wanna see if I can fix the issue by disconnecting the battery for 5-10 mins before if I have to take it back to the service place.

Your thoughts?

ps. It's the Xenon HID lamp from factory.

Last edited:
It sounds like the shutter servo in the housing might be going out. There isn't a separate bulb in these units. A physical shutter exposes more of the bulb when high beams are activated...and closes for low beams

It sounds like the shutter servo in the housing might be going out. There isn't a separate bulb in these units. A physical shutter exposes more of the bulb when high beams are activated...and closes for low beams
Not to steal the OP's thread, but when I read about this kind of design complexity in HID systems, it really makes me wonder about the casual attitude some owners have about half-assed conversion from halogen to HID.

I don't have any experience with conversions. Although I see some vehicles out there that clearly have retrofitted housings not meant for HIDs.

On an OEM reliability note...I have basically the same AFS/Bi-Xenon system in my old '07 Infiniti. Fortunately... knock on wood first... I haven't had any issues with that design in nearly 10 years.

Back