Does USB charge iPhone??

tfigs121

:
Mazda 5
Brand new 2013 CX-5 owner. It seems that the USB port poorly charges my iPhone. The charging icon comes on but power either stays the same or decreases. Anyone else see this?

thanks.

Thom

The USB port in my 2016 CX-5 GT doesn't charge my Samsung Galaxy either. I use the cig port in the storage box under the central armrest instead.

I also have a 2013 and it charges really slowly. If you are playing music or making a call, it basically can barely hold the charge or may even decrease slightly. I've got a cheapo plug in USB charger for the power port that charges quicker when I need it. No way to charge quickly and play via USB in this car that I am aware of.

It will charge really slowly or not charge at all if you're planning to use your phone as GPS, it might even continue to drop ;)

Better to get a car charger off of Amazon or something.

Short answer: Yes, but not if you have a lot going on that uses a lot of power - for example, using the screen and/or GPS. It will charge if you have it connected and are only using blueooth.

Reason: They follow the USB 2.0 standard to the letter, which allows 0.5 amps through the port. The system was seemingly designed before USB 3.0, which allows more power.

If you're not playing audio through the USB you can buy a charger that fits in the 12 volt accessory port. Many of them are 2.0 amps which will recharge pretty quickly and let you both use the phone and charge at the same time.

Last edited:
It charges my iPhone 6s Plus really slowly, the old iPhone 5S charged fine. I suppose that the 0,5amp limitation is to blame.

This doesn't address the onboard charging challenges but if anyone is looking for a high capacity battery based charger the ZeroLemon models are hard to beat. They are spendy but will last a a lot longer than equivalent models. I can charge (2) tablets and (2) phones at the same time.

The one I have is about the size of a laptop battery from the late 90's with (2) 2 AMP and (2) 1 amp USB ports that can all be accessed at the same time.

I have a 2016, it charges my iPhone 6 just fine even with GPS running.

The CX-5 is my wife's car but I noticed that the USB ports under the climate controls don't charge her 6S reliably. I bought a "Y" USB connector to plug into both ports and now it charges the phone fine. It shows up under USB-1 in the media menu, even though I have both ports occupied by the same device.

Thanks for all the responses. I am seeing no charge or a loss of charge using the USB with my iPhone 6 running GPS and playing music. I guess easy solution is to play music through bluetooth and use cig output to charge phone.

Drove an hour and a half with iPhone 6 plugged into USB and playing music. Charge went up from 65% to 75%. Not much charge at all.

Back