Warning: Bricked my Infotainment system

bennyc

:
Mazda 2016 CX-5 GT
So, I purchased a 2016.5 GT two weeks ago and it has 170 miles on it. Yesterday, I had my phone plugged into the USB and on Bluetooth and turned the car off. When I turned it back on 15 minutes later, the Infotainment screen was in a loop of the intro video that plays when you turn the car on, into the selection screen of "communication, entertainment, nav, etc", then to black, then to the intro video. Nonstop. I couldn't reset it, couldn't do anything. Brought it to the dealer who said it was probably just a simple update - an hour later, I'm told the whole thing needs to be replaced, that somehow it was bricked. Now I have to wait a week for the new infotainment screen to come in, which is really frustrating.

The tech told me that there's an issue w/ a number of these USB/Bluetooth systems, where if you're on both and there's an update to contacts or something like that happening, and you turn it off, that you can screw your system up big time.

Thankfully, I'm getting everything replaced for free, but this is just a warning - don't use the USB and the Bluetooth at the same time.

Do you happen to know its firmware version before it got into the bootloop? I've modified mine with a bunch of hacks, lots of chance to get into bootloop, but so far I've been careful and lucky. I'm wondering if it's a just a rare bug or outdated firmware, because my G2 phone always connect to the car's Bluetooth when I drive. I plug the phone in to charge lots of time, and play musics from its storage, too.

My phone connects to Bluetooth and I then plug it in to USB to charge. It remains plugged in until I shut the car off. It would seem a dull design if not able to have both Bluetooth and USB available on/from the the same device simultaneously. Perhaps the bricking had to do with the updating contacts every time the car is turned on (I cannot figure out how to turn that off...).

Do you happen to know its firmware version before it got into the bootloop? I've modified mine with a bunch of hacks, lots of chance to get into bootloop, but so far I've been careful and lucky. I'm wondering if it's a just a rare bug or outdated firmware, because my G2 phone always connect to the car's Bluetooth when I drive. I plug the phone in to charge lots of time, and play musics from its storage, too.
I don't, unfortuantely. I do know it was outdated firmware - they said it was likely that my system had not been updated and that was the issue. Actually, they said a new update had come out yesterday, in fact.

I'm just going to use the USB in the center console w/ a charger, I guess.

My phone connects to Bluetooth and I then plug it in to USB to charge. It remains plugged in until I shut the car off. It would seem a dull design if not able to have both Bluetooth and USB available on/from the the same device simultaneously. Perhaps the bricking had to do with the updating contacts every time the car is turned on (I cannot figure out how to turn that off...).
This is what they said could have caused it. I think I had actually turned the car off, then on, then off in a short manner of time (don't remember the full context), and that might have done it.

My Mazda3 had the same Infotainment system, and I always had my phone connected to Bluetooth and then USB to charge. I do the same with my CX-5, and I've yet to have any problems because of this. Then again, I always plug the phone into USB after the car is started and disconnect it from USB prior to turning it off. I do this out of habit and not to prevent anything bad from occurring.

Sounds like it was a fluke thing that happened and likely not something that will reproduce.

My 16 CX-5 infotainment system had to be replaced with less than 200 miles on it last month. It went dark and the entire thing was replaced.

I don't, unfortuantely. I do know it was outdated firmware - they said it was likely that my system had not been updated and that was the issue. Actually, they said a new update had come out yesterday, in fact.

I'm just going to use the USB in the center console w/ a charger, I guess.

Hmmm, a week or so ago my dealer did tell me a new software update was due out shortly. Anyone know if true and if so version number and what it fixed ?

Which USB are you plugged into? I use the USB in the arm wrest to charge only while playing on BT. When I plug into the Infotainment USB it does act weird. I pretty much go BT all the time.

Back