Smart Brake Support (NOT S CITY Brake Support)

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Since I have iActiveSense, today the Smart Brake Support actually saved me. It triggers at a higher speed than the Smart City Brake Support. What happened is I was approaching a 4 way traffic light. The right side cross road was slightly not visible from where I was sitting due to various posts. A car came speeding being chased by a cop car. It jumped lights and shot away, cop in chase.

What happened was surprisingly BRAKE message came on dashboard with the audible repeated alarm. I braked. At that precise moment there was ABSOLUTELY no inkling of any danger. Less than few milli-seconds later I saw what I wrote above. The entire parade of car + cop cars went by literally a foot or less in front of me.

The thing is - I think that camera (or whatever is its sensor) is primarily forward looking but it has some algorithm to detect fast moving side traffic - which will come right in front of me if I continue at same or higher speed forward.

I have the same thought that the Forward Sensing Camera, laser sensor on the windshield, and radar sensor on the front grill used by SBS cannot be that wide angle in your situation. People even are having problems on Mazda Radar Cruise Control, which is using the same devices, while changing lanes. But apparently SBS worked for you and may saved you a bad situation. $1,500 for i-ActivSense option was well spent!

Thank you for sharing the story--glad that you are okay, and glad to know that this tech actually does apparently work!

Since I have iActiveSense, today the Smart Brake Support actually saved me. It triggers at a higher speed than the Smart City Brake Support. What happened is I was approaching a 4 way traffic light. The right side cross road was slightly not visible from where I was sitting due to various posts. A car came speeding being chased by a cop car. It jumped lights and shot away, cop in chase.

What happened was surprisingly BRAKE message came on dashboard with the audible repeated alarm. I braked. At that precise moment there was ABSOLUTELY no inkling of any danger. Less than few milli-seconds later I saw what I wrote above. The entire parade of car + cop cars went by literally a foot or less in front of me.

The thing is - I think that camera (or whatever is its sensor) is primarily forward looking but it has some algorithm to detect fast moving side traffic - which will come right in front of me if I continue at same or higher speed forward.

The SBS/iActivSense comes as an upgraded option but well worth the money. It involves more sensors and more hardware that worked of course in this scenario.

You could have been killed or seriously injured if that vehicle T-Boned you. If you had any passengers on the passenger side, they would have most likely been killed since a side impact and those speeds is pretty much a fatal.

Did the vehicle brake on its own or did it just activate the audible and visual alarms?

It brakes on its own. However initial there was the alarm etc. I would say it's splitting hairs here but I immediately pressed brakes too. 2 things: my brake was rapidly activated. 2. When all is over the car startup was immensely sluggish, as if no gas. I strongly suspect all fuel lines were cleared with no fuel in engine. Had a distinct feeling similar to what I felt eons back when my car ran out of gas. I suspect it's some undocumented feature where they might be draining the fuel lines automatically to reduce explosion.

It brakes on its own. However initial there was the alarm etc. I would say it's splitting hairs here but I immediately pressed brakes too. 2 things: my brake was rapidly activated. 2. When all is over the car startup was immensely sluggish, as if no gas. I strongly suspect all fuel lines were cleared with no fuel in engine. Had a distinct feeling similar to what I felt eons back when my car ran out of gas. I suspect it's some undocumented feature where they might be draining the fuel lines automatically to reduce explosion.

So the car turned off after this incident?

Interesting premise that the lines were drained of fuel. It could be an undocumented feature.

They can not drain the fuel lines that fast but they can turn off the fuel pump and/or relive the fuel pressure in the lines.

+2. Car didn't shut down but the feeling was as if engine has no gas in cylinders. Took about 3 seconds and things came back to normal. Car did move forward but SLOOOOWWWLLLY.

Great story! Glad it helped save you - I agree it's definitely money worth spent.

How fast were you going when it activated?

The $1,500 option is money well spent vs getting into a serious accident and being killed or injured. Let alone that but the cost to repair a vehicle would be thousands of dollars, depending on the severity.

I have the same thought that the Forward Sensing Camera, laser sensor on the windshield, and radar sensor on the front grill used by SBS cannot be that wide angle in your situation. People even are having problems on Mazda Radar Cruise Control, which is using the same devices, while changing lanes. But apparently SBS worked for you and may saved you a bad situation. $1,500 for i-ActivSense option was well spent!

Before anyone gets ideas that its wide angle let me make it clear. It's forward looking but like a cone. As such, that car must have caught the edge of the cone. As I wrote in a separate thread I was able to hack into the forward sensing camera with a monitor. It's extremely good resolution - 100% HD and it spreads forward. My idea is to send the video feed into a captive recording unit, looping itself when reaches the SD card max size.

Correct me if i am wrong, but there is nothing to "turn on" to enable SCBS and SBS? I have tried to see activate it, but not that hard. I see it is on in MazdaConnect, but there is no other indicator.

Correct me if i am wrong, but there is nothing to "turn on" to enable SCBS and SBS? I have tried to see activate it, but not that hard. I see it is on in MazdaConnect, but there is no other indicator.

They're on by default, but can be disabled in settings.

Before anyone gets ideas that its wide angle let me make it clear. It's forward looking but like a cone. As such, that car must have caught the edge of the cone. As I wrote in a separate thread I was able to hack into the forward sensing camera with a monitor. It's extremely good resolution - 100% HD and it spreads forward. My idea is to send the video feed into a captive recording unit, looping itself when reaches the SD card max size.

Please post how-to!!

Back