Experience with my new CX-5 so far

ihaveworms

:
CX-5
I got a new 2016 CX-5 on October 2nd. This was going to be the car my wife drives and the only time a person is in the passenger seat is usually in the weekends. We noticed one of the weekends while driving around while she was sitting in the passenger seat that the airbag light was flashing. This had not happened before (it was maybe a week after she got it?). Shortly thereafter she had a puncture in the tire and she got it repaired at the dealership. While she was there she mentioned the airbag light and was told to bring it back if it happens again. Well, a couple of weeks later it happens again and I see the pattern is one flash followed by 6 flashes. The dealership takes it in and we pick it up the next day. They recalibrated the passenger seat sensor as that is what the code pointed to. I didnt think that was going to fix it and sure enough the light comes back on. So now it is at the dealership again. I dropped it off on Friday and called them Monday to see whats up. I was told they had to order another sensor. I call today and they got the wrong part and are ordering a different one.

Not exactly a great experience so far with my first and brand new Mazda. 3 trips to the dealership in about 2 months and it will be at their place for 7 working days for just this last trip.

Sounds like an issue with your dealer's service department. If they had fixed the issue on the first try, would it have changed your opinion?

At least they are replacing it, and not giving you the runaround trying to get out of it.

Yeah no doubt that is unfortunate, but stuff like that can happen no matter what car brand you choose. Just part of ownership. Besides that though, how's the car going for you? Bought mine mid September and absolutely love it.

Yeah no doubt that is unfortunate, but stuff like that can happen no matter what car brand you choose. Just part of ownership. Besides that though, how's the car going for you? Bought mine mid September and absolutely love it.

I have had a few hicups with the infotainment system, specifically the navigation feature. I have had two instances where I click the button/icon to go to the maps and it just doesn't do anything. Turning the car off and on again (rebooting the system) fixed that. Also an issue where the maps would just load and load and load. Popping the SD Card out and then back in fixed that. Reliability of my Hyundai's infotainment system seems to be better.

Mechanically speaking, I do like the CX-5. It feels like there is plenty of torque from a stop. I really like the styling, blind spot monitoring, backup camera, electric parking brake. If I had to do it again, I probably would still get the CX-5.

Knock on Wood great experience since I bought it in October so far...3 other guys at work have bought them in the last three months..
The more technology the buyers want the more that can go sideways...
Think about the vibrations, the temp changes, and here up in New England the salt on the roads...
It's amazing anything works after a while...
For what it's worth my wife's car is a 2007 Toyota Highlander and her TPMS light has been on since 2009....drives her crazy..we've tried everything...
Best of luck with the airbag sensor issue...cars are like rolling computers now...

I had a similar experience with my MX-5 that had a tire pressure sensor issue. I bought the car from a dealer too far away for service (my opinion). I don't initially go to the in town dealer because they seem to small to have much experience. So I go to a dealer in between since this was a warranty item. The dealer I chose seems to be guessing at the issue, takes days to get a replacement part and ultimately doesn't fix the problem. So I try the little in town guy and I'm amazed. The problem identified in 30 min., the part is in stock and replaced in an hour. Very professional. No more problem. Both are Mazda dealers.

I have had a few hicups with the infotainment system, specifically the navigation feature. I have had two instances where I click the button/icon to go to the maps and it just doesn't do anything. Turning the car off and on again (rebooting the system) fixed that. Also an issue where the maps would just load and load and load. Popping the SD Card out and then back in fixed that. Reliability of my Hyundai's infotainment system seems to be better.

Mechanically speaking, I do like the CX-5. It feels like there is plenty of torque from a stop. I really like the styling, blind spot monitoring, backup camera, electric parking brake. If I had to do it again, I probably would still get the CX-5.

Check the version of the infotainment. If the car has been on the lot awhile, it may have an older version. We bought a 3 thats infotainment was two versions old and I had them update it before driving off the lot.

For what it's worth my wife's car is a 2007 Toyota Highlander and her TPMS light has been on since 2009....drives her crazy..we've tried everything...

Piece of electrical tape over the light bulb works wonders for that! (cabpatch)

OP- The logical explanation is that you've got a ghost sitting on the front passenger seat. Perhaps an exorcism could help.

3 trips to the dealership in about 2 months and it will be at their place for 7 working days for just this last trip.

I'm not understanding why they have to keep the car until the correct part comes in? Why couldn't you drive it with the light on?

Not being funny here, but by any chance is your wife a petite person. In other words is she too lite for the sensor to pick up her weight? The light can go off if a bag I'd placed on the seat that is heavy enough to have it trigger. This happened once to me when I placed a case of beer on the passenger seat.

Not being funny here, but by any chance is your wife a petite person. In other words is she too lite for the sensor to pick up her weight? The light can go off if a bag I'd placed on the seat that is heavy enough to have it trigger. This happened once to me when I placed a case of beer on the passenger seat.

I had the same problem with my 2010 Mazda 3GT. The dealer was never able to fix it after 4 tries. My wife weighs 103 lb.

The problem was intermittent, so it usually didn't show up when I took the car in for service. Finally, they told me to bring it in without an appointment as soon as the light didn't go out with my wife in the passenger seat. That isn't always easy - the dealer is not open 7-24 and it isn't always convenient to drive by the dealership when you have appointments, etc.

They said they'd "calibrated" it all 4 times. I think they needed to replace the sensor.

or you could have your wife carry Heritage's case of beer to see if that gets past the presumed weight threshhold

The dealer ended up replacing the sensor assembly and so far the airbag light has not come back on again. If that doesn't work I will ask the wife to carry cinder blocks in her lap the entire time.

Airbag light is now flashing again. 4 time to the dealership reporting this issue since I got this thing in about 3 months of ownership.

Back