2015 CX-5 - Automatic but shifts rough

dbgogo

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT
I've had my 2015 CX-5 for 6 months and I'm starting to really notice how rough it shifts... and what I mean by that is a lot of lagging when I try to accelerate and lugs going down into the lowest gear whether my foot is on the break or not. If I'm coming up to a red light and start slowing down and then the light turns green so I switch over to accelerate it sometimes lags really hard. I've even been on the highway and tried to pass someone and putting the petal to the metal did nothing... I had to release and try again for it to catch. Does anyone else have these issues? I've never driven a vehicle that lags and lugs this much that wasn't a standard but I have no idea what could be causing it...

That's what your dealer's service department and the warranty are for. Time to make an appointment!

It sounds like you are talking about time delay until it shifts to lower gears or even total reluctance to shift at all (and not about smoothness of shifts), and that when in high gear the engine is barely making enough torque to get the car to accelerate.

The CX-5 keeps high gears as much as it can to save fuel. If you only slowly increase pressure over the pedal to get to some angle, it may take it as a sign that you only want a little more power. However, if you briskly change the angle of the pedal to the same position, it will interpret it as you being serious and then commit to a downshift.

I sometime find it annoying, especially when the RPM is at or below 1500 while driving uphill on a curvy road. While this happens for me on a moderate incline on lower speeds, it also happened to me once while on a steep curvy road, where the logic was reluctant to downshift despite having virtually not enough torque to push the vehicle up/forward. However, in higher speeds or flat roads it usually does a pretty good job.

Please try the above trick and let us know.

Mine is like this too. It is certainly programmed for efficiency. The unintended result is that it is never "hunting" around in hilly terrain. Also as stated, if you hit it fast and especially if you push past the kick down device, it's quick to respond.

Latest posts

Back