Back to the Mazda Brand

Szen

:
mazda cx-5 GT
Hey everyone back in the day I used to own 3 MX-6[1990, 1995 & 1994], just purchase a brand new CX-5 GT AWD and I have been browsing around to get some tech specs on what should be the starting mods for this vehicle even though it is my girl's car, she wants me to as per say hook it up as I am a car enthusiast as well, I own a Nismo 350z myself, so any help should, initial steer me in the right way, thanks again and have a good day or night, wherever you are.

P.S. to be more specific I want to have some decent power while having also a better ride quality as the car is great but as we all know there is always a ways of improving and also besides CorkSport is there any other vendor and I can look for aftermarket parts as well, thanks again.

You're not going to find a whole lot more power out of the skyactive engines. Mazda has squeezed pretty much all there is out of them already. There are suspension mods that you can do to up the handling of the car and the fun factor by some. I can't speak to how good any of the mods actually are as I don't have a CX-5, yet. H&R springs seems to be the most common spring choice that offers a subtle drop. Cork sport also offers a spring that has more drop around 3.25" I believe. The problem with the lowering springs is that the rear camber is not adjustable and often times ends up being just out of spec after the lowering springs are installed. Seems to be about -2 degrees. Sway bars are available as well from corksport and James Barone racing. There are exhaust systems and cold air intakes but I don't think those are going to get you really any power gains. The corksport axel back and the racing beat muffler are the two most popular options. Some where I believe a Tanabe exhaust exists as well. Since there's not much of a power gain with exhaust I think for looks getting some new 3.5" or 4" exhaust tips put on would help with the look. Good luck with what ever you plan on doing and enjoy the new car!

A tune can easily pull 10 or more HP stock 15+ with bolt ons. And there is testing that if it proves safe will bump the # even more.

What tune you talking about? I haven't seen a thing about this. Evidence to back it up or just claimed?

AS decent I meant like 15+ not like 40-50 for that I would of got the diesel turbo but not available in the states

A tune can easily pull 10 or more HP stock 15+ with bolt ons. And there is testing that if it proves safe will bump the # even more.

so I was reading something around 20 with 93 octane somewhere and also read that after adding the axle cat exhaust it needs to add the air intake to avoid bad ignition timing while doing so just correct me if I am wrong as it seems CorkSport is the way to go for it do not know if you knew but they just added a lightweight crank pulley I have 1 in my 350z so that should help a lot more with the RPM band plaaning to call them tomorrow

so a mazda 3 group can help me find some alternatives for tuning settings? btw is your car drop in one of the pics? and what set of springs are those? also dropping will it mess up the shocks eventually, thanks

Not sure why people are so eager to spread misinformation when it's clear they haven't actually looked into the topic. Orangevirus tuning is the big one for skyactiv right now, and there are a few others, as well as independent tuners. I've had tunes on both my 2.0 and 2.5 skys, as have others. With bolt ons and tune you can get 15 (or more)+ hp easy with the 2.5. Yes, the SRI makes a big difference in tunablilty because the stock airbox intake location is right against the bottom of the hood. No matter how high flow the filter you put in it is, the intake duct is not simply not exposed to enough airflow to make larger power gains. My own flow tests with Mazda edit showed only a 4g/s increase max with the high flow panel filter in the OEM box (and a tune adjusted for panel) vs +17g/s over stock with the sri (same tune adjusted for sri). All with an aftermarket exhaust on, so the numbers were already higher than stock to start with. 1g/s of air flow can roughly be compared to 1 hp. You can look around here and get some idea of what people are experiencing. A few dynos are in there too. I wouldn't touch a lightweight flywheel without reading into how it has affected other vehicles first, particularly when replacing just one. I ran my old cx-5 55000miles lowered, with no shock issues. In fact the shocks on my 2013 performed better than the shock on my 2015 with the same springs.

I think 15+ is very reasonable with only technically an exhaust & intake on a 4 cyl vehicle & what springs you use to lowered your old cx-5?, thanks

Why would you lower at vehicle that is designed to sit high? Why wouldn't you just buy a Mazda 6?
I think it's safe to say that isn't the only consideration when deciding between the two cars. I wanted more internal volume and a higher seating position, and AWD, and roof rack/hitch some of which I could not get on the 6. Also when I got my first CX-5 there was only the lame 2nd gen 6. I didn't buy the car for ground clearance; I can modifiy (improve) the handling all I want and still utilize all of the attributes I purchased it for.

So Chris I saw you put the CorkSport springs and sway bars as well correct? what do you think of wheel spacers any recommendations, if any and what measurement they should be I will like to do it all at once and will order her Intake & Exhaust soon to do it myself :) thanks got all the necessary info from the links and some of the replies remind why certain people should not have certain of cars or even be so afraid of doing some research before commenting lol

I'm on h&R's, 70000 combined miles on them. C/S ride to low for stock dampers IMO which some owners have attested to. Personally I wouldn't want to use any spacer over 5mm (one requiring new studs or bolting); aside from extra weight I've read enough stories to decide not worth it to me. Get a lower offset wheel instead.

Ok so no spacers that makes sense specially when you have that much suspension travel to work with ok great info now just gotta finish the body kit research and I'm done it will be just money & time then so if you know a good website or link that I can start with I'll appreciate it and thanks again.

do the corksport springs drop too low for stock wheel/tire setups?
From what I have read people don't have rubbing issues with stock setup. As per my onion, it looks horrible with the stock wheels and a drop (any drop). The OEM wheels offset is too high; simply too pushed in.

Back