CX-5 Mention in Car and Driver CR-V Article

:
2015 CX-5 GT
I considered buying the redesigned CR-V, but liked the handling of the CX-5 better. In the latest Car and Driver, at the end, talking about handling, it said "Nimbler, it still doesn't rise to the dynamic standard set by the Mazda CX-5, but this refresh will probably keep the CR-V in its familiar place atop the segment sales chart.

I'm happy with the handling, but the center of the dash gives me a lot of pain.

I feel your pain but, for me, it is more than made-up for by the fact that I am not driving a soulless CR-V!

I guess the refreshed cx5 will give it an even bigger edge over the CRV then.
Personally I just dont like the dash in the CRV
Review-2015-Honda-CR-V.jpg

2016-mazda-cx-5-interior-view-03.jpg

Is it just me, or do the '16 cx-5 seats look wider with less bolsters on the bottom?

Did a test drive in a 2015 CR-V love the blind spot camera feature and being able to change the back up camera to 3 different views.

Did a test drive in a 2015 CR-V love the blind spot camera feature and being able to change the back up camera to 3 different views.

Yes, but a little nice technology is never a good reason to choose a vehicle that is inferior in more substantial ways. At least to my way of thinking.

To my way of thinking as well. I replaced a 2010 CRV with the CX-5. The Honda's drivetrain and chassis dynamics don't hold a candle to Mazda's. I looked at the new CRV before I bought the Mazda, and, I didn't see enough improvements over the one I had to even warrant a test drive.

Regards:
Oldengineer

No love the CX5 not getting rid of it this test drive was for the other half as she wanted to get rid of her Jeep Grand Cherokee as its only 2 year old and it's been plagued with problems and issues for the past few months. Even though the work is covered under the manufacture's warranty it's just a pain to drop it off and get it repaired. Need something more reliable and not falling apart already.

I think the picture shown of the CR-V interior was of a 2014. The 2015 is better. The thing that made me consider the CR-V was they also went to direct injection, increasing the torque. It had some good things, but I preferred handling over those things.

One thing I did to put a bandaid on the problem of the flash drive not keeping its place is I burned my mp3 podcasts onto a CD. Now I can keep my place. The CD is only about ten cents each.

I need to get my CX-5 out on the road to see what real mpg I'm getting. The short trips are killing it.

I need to get my CX-5 out on the road to see what real mpg I'm getting. The short trips are killing it.
Cold weather - I know, that's a relative thing in Atlanta - doesn't help either.

for my tastes the CR-V was soul-crushingly vanilla. Also, the addition of a CVT in the new model makes it a total non-starter for me.

I think the new CR-V for 2015 is definitely better than the outgoing model. It has more torque, much lower than before and improved fuel economy. It is also more quiet inside.
Having first hand experience with a vehicle with CVT and have test driven a Honda with one (but not the CR-V), I can tell you Honda's CVT behaves much better to others I have driven.
I think Honda did a good job with tweaking the CR-V (as this is a 'minor refresh'). It still does not look as good as the CX-5, but less ugly than the outgoing model.

I actually had an CR-V before my CX-5 and test drove a 2014 before choosing the CX-5. Soulless is right. That car might have nice camera's and windows but has all the character of a kardashian (and even uglier!).

I have to say the CR-V has come a long way since it debuted back in 1996 or 97, I don't recall but what I do recall was regretting the fact I bought one during is debut model year. Weak, terrible in the snow and all around hated it. Sold it the next year and never looked back. They do look a lot better now, but I just couldn't get past my first time experience and didn't consider it ever again. I did look at the Crosstour, but I don't see that vehicle have a super long life cycle, I could be wrong.

My parents have a 2012 loaded CRV. Then entire interior shakes at idle and doors sound like tin cans when you close them. They just had a battery charging sensor recall that left them stranded. Infotainment is no better than the CX5 and it can't get out of its way accelerating. He test drove a 2016 but the CVT was a deal killer. It's faster, but very noisy.

Back