RAV4 2013 vs. CX5 2013 FWD 2.0

RAV4vsCX5

:
Mercedes C300 2010
Hello all awesome Mazda members!

So I got my car total recently and need a "new" used SUV for my commute asap. I'm deciding between RAV4 2013 vs. CX5 2013 FWD 2.0. Obviously, I prefer CX5 (sporty, handsome, and handling). But I'm worrying about the transmission problems (slowing down or won't start at the stop lights) that some of the threads mentioned about. I saw related posts about this issue in the past and wonder if it has vanished in your vehicles OR just really really rare.

I don't have a lots of knowledge about this car so hope you guys don't mind words. LMK and I really appreciate your help. Have a wonderful one everyone!!!

Looking at those threads, it seems to have been a small issue with very early build dates. All the complaints are from 2012, when the CX5 was considered a 2013 model - meaning very early builds.

This does not seem to be a wide spread issue, or even a current issue on newer CX5's.

I have had no transmission problems to speak of on my October 2013 built CX5 GT.

There are no known transmission problems with the CX-5.

Also, you've allready asked the same question multiple times in other treads and been answered the same thing. Please refrain from doing that.

I owned my CX-5 for nine months and not experienced any tranny problems. I've watched this forum for over a year and not seen a trend of any transmission problems. Your post reference early builds in 2012. Guess the answer to your question is to not buy an early build. Stick to a used late 2013 or 2014 and you will have zero tranny problems.

Never had tranny problem with early build (Feb.2012) model year, drove it for 30K miles.

Last edited:
Looks like you might have more tranny problems if you get a CX-5 from The Red Light District.

A tranny prob in red light district, yeah that could happen...

But I thought we were talking about Mazda CX-5, so the transmisson issues are rare.

Thanks everyone so much for helping out. I'm now testing 2 used CX-5 tomorrow. RAV4 & CRV are no longer on my list.

Everyone here is so awesome....truly Mazda owners :) ENJOY THE WEEKEND!

A tranny prob in red light district, yeah that could happen...

But I thought we were talking about Mazda CX-5, so the transmisson issues are rare.

I just went though comparing Toyota, Honda and Mazda... I personally don't like the front-end of the RAV4 and it is smaller. I bought a new 14.5 CX-5 Touring. I'd owned a Honda CRV a couple of years ago. Not really enthused with Honda's updates of the CRV.

"Tranny"? Google it. I got thrown off the VW TDi Forum a couple of years back after a "Tranny" discussion. I've Never Owned Anything That Had A Tranny (in it or???).

"Tranny"? Google it. I got thrown off the VW TDi Forum a couple of years back after a "Tranny" discussion. I've Never Owned Anything That Had A Tranny (in it or???).

Not sure if they were talking about Tranny being a slang term used chiefly to describe people...

Back