Questions regarding my CX-5 and high-compression

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
I have a 2019 Gt and love it. It's not perfect but no car is. However some questions have come to mind. The gas mileage in say the RAV4 and the Honda CRV are better. The CX5 has higher compression than every other small suv. I heard the reason for this is to help with gas mileage but it doesn't seem to. I can't say much about performance as a result but some of the others seem to have aproximately the same horsepower. The acceleration of mine is more than adequate for me. The drive experience that comes with mine is great and the fact it doesn't get quite the mileage that some others do doesn't concern me but I do wonder how the engineers milked more out of theirs. Overall the CX5 gives me everything I need/want But I don't understand the high compression thing!

Constant Velocity Transmission improve mileage by keeping the engine at the most efficient speed but not as responsive or as much fun to drive.

As GAXIBM said, transmission is a big reason. Mazdas 6 speed has been well tuned, but it's still limited by the number of gears. The CX-5 also weighs about 200-300 pounds more than the RAV4, CR-V or Rouge.

I have a 2019 Gt and love it. It's not perfect but no car is. However some questions have come to mind. The gas mileage in say the RAV4 and the Honda CRV are better. The CX5 has higher compression than every other small suv. I heard the reason for this is to help with gas mileage but it doesn't seem to. I can't say much about performance as a result but some of the others seem to have aproximately the same horsepower. The acceleration of mine is more than adequate for me. The drive experience that comes with mine is great and the fact it doesn't get quite the mileage that some others do doesn't concern me but I do wonder how the engineers milked more out of theirs. Overall the CX5 gives me everything I need/want But I don't understand the high compression thing!
"I have a 2019 Gt and love it. It's not perfect but no car is."

I beg to differ. My 2016 MX-5 Miata Club MT/ST IS perfect. ;)

33-34 on highway with cruise control 'on' and 91 fuel. 25-26 city traffic. Thats for a 2018. Pretty good for a 2.5l engine with auto gearbox I think.
Dont forget the Hondas are little 1.5l leafblower engines. This is better for city driving to get better mpg.
Better than 34-35 on highway you have to look at hybrids.

I have a 2019 Gt and love it. It's not perfect but no car is. However some questions have come to mind. The gas mileage in say the RAV4 and the Honda CRV are better.
The CX5 has higher compression than every other small suv.
This’s not true. Toyota’s 203 hp naturally aspirated Dynamic Force 2.5L used on the RAV4 has the same 13:1 compression ratio as Mazda’s 187 hp (2021 MY) naturally aspirated SkyActiv-G 2.5L. But Toyota’s 2.5L has the industry-best thermal efficiency at 40% and 41% (hybrid) with the help of many other improvements on engine design which makes RAV4 more fuel efficient than CX-5. Honda CR-V has small-displacement 1.5L turbo, naturally it’s more fuel efficient than CX-5.

Latest posts

Back