I'm looking at these wheels, the specs are:

Bolt Pattern 5x114.3
Bolt Pattern 2 5x120
Hub Bore 74.1
Offset 40
Wheel Size 17X7
Weight 30 lbs
Finish MATTE BLACK

I looked at the sticky regarding wheel size, and I think these will work. The only thing I'm not too certain is the offset. The OEM is 50, these are 40 - 10mm is slightly less than an inch, so does that mean the wheels will stick about an inch further out? Also, the weight in 30lbs, some of the other wheels are in the 10-20 lbs range - are these wheels excessively heavy? Does anyone know how much the stock OEM's weigh?

FYI, I called my dealer and they want $260/ea for the OEM 17" alloy CX5 wheel. (Too much!)

I'm not an expert either, but it seems that it will stick out 10 MM, which I don't think that it's an issue. Somebody on this forum used even some 25 MM spacers.
30 LBS it's even heavier then the stock 19" which are around ~27-28 LBS. Car will be slower and will use more fuel.
The lighter wheels can be quite expensive.
Sometimes next year, I will upgrade them also, but weight will have to be as low as possible.

That size and offset will work. I just mounted my snows today and they are almost identical. Only thing you need to confirm with figment is the spoke design.

When you change the offset and move the tire away from the car, the tire load is not as designed over the front "king pin axis" so it will have some effect on handling. It will probably pull a little towards the outside of turns as more weight will be further out on the outside wheel spindle as you turn and less weight on the inside wheel spindle as the weight of the car shifts to the outside wheel in a turn. Also when you hit a load on one tire, like deep water, it will pull more on that wheel as it will have more leverage on the spindle. It may look better but drive less better. Long term it may wear the steering and suspension a bit more especially if FWD as starting and stopping will also have a bit more leverage on the suspension. Mazda may take a dim view of a suspension warranty claims...

I just realized that the 10mm difference in offset is only about 3/8" of an inch (yes, even though we have Metric here, it's still easier sometimes to think in inches!) I doubt that small of a difference will have significant impact on handling.

I am going to call them and ask if that wheel weight is correct, it does sound heavy.

They just replied to me, the wheels are 10Kg (22lbs) so not sure where that 30lbs came from on the retailers website!

Last edited:
BC - You have about 1000 lbs. on each front wheel. 3/8 inch offset = .37 inch. 1000 lbs X .37 inch = 375 inch pounds of torque or about 31 foot pounds of added torque on the wheel spindle & suspension. That is for the CX-5 sitting still. When your are "handling" the vehicle, stopping and turning, it goes up several times as weight shifts to the front when stopping and to the outside tire when turning. That is about the same torque as it takes to tighten the wheel lug bolts only against the suspension. Think of someone with a torque wrench pulling against your outside front wheel when stopping in a turn against the direction you are turning with a 100 foot pounds or so which is about as much as a normal man can pull against a wheel with a 1/2 inch torque wrench. I think you will be able to feel it and over time it might just wear out your steering linkage.

Back