2014 Mazda CX-5 vs 2013 Ford Escape

icarlos

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
Other than cost and gas mileage, why would you choose a CX-5 over the ford?

My bro is buying one of those this week!

(rolleyes)

Subjective, but I just think the CX-5 is a much better looking vehicle. Also, I had a '95 Millennia which lasted forever, so that figured into it for me.

We drove the ford escape titanium yesterday and the inside makes the cx-5 look like an older car. The seats are so much comfortable than CX-5. It does feels smaller than cx-5 in the inside, I loved how you can recline the back seats. Also the sony stereo sounds way better than the bose on cx-5 and the my ford sync is really cool.

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily
That's why. American cars have never been a good investment for me. Bad luck? Crap? Your guess is as good ad mine.

IMHO CX-5 is more classy than the Escape. To my eyes the inside doesn't look old, only simple and serious, not futuristic as Escape's one. But this, after all is a very personal point of view and above all I usually don't like to buy something that is very common...

My bro is buying one of those this week!

(rolleyes)
Those reasons plus the better looks of the CX-5 were enough for me. I do like the front grille better on the Escape, but that is the only thing. So yeah, it was an easy choice.

Last edited:
I looked at an escape and talked to a few people I know that drive escape's and they all had one thing to say about them, don't get one they hate them. Plus I loved my Mazda 3 and think the CX5 is much nicer looking than the escape

Have you ever seen the escape interior center stack? It's hideous with those huge air vents next to the buggy my ford touch? go on youtube and watch the literally countless horror stories about my ford touch. It seems to freeze and be completly unresponsive until you turn the car off, and since it controls literally everything with the car it renders all entertainment and phone calls useless.

I'm not even mentioning the "fun" to drive factor, which is without question in Mazda's corner. The CX-5 is one of the most fun cars I have ever driven let alone CUV's/SUV, it has so much character. It handles great, it rides quite, steering is perfect, the ground clearance is great, everything just feels like it works. I also feel like I got more standard features in the CX-5, for a GT without Tech I got everything that I wanted (dont need nav I have a galaxy note 2 already) and to get all the same features in the escape I would be pushing 35k, who the heck would spend that much on a ford? Lastly I still dont trust American car companies, they have a lonnng way to go before they gain my trust back (even if Ford didn't take a bailout, this is a company that decided to save $5 a pinto because it was cheaper than settling with the families of pinto owners whose cars blew up because of the defective work. I know things have obviously changed but I dont want to be associated with a brand that has ever thought like that.

We picked up a 2014 GT for my wife yesterday. A couple months ago, we test drove a Honda CRV, a 2013 CX-5, and Ford Escape Titanium. After driving those three cars, we were in agreement that we liked driving the Escape the best and also that its seats were the most comfortable. Now this wasn't apples to apples. The 2013 CX-5 had 155hp and the Escape had the 240hp engine. Holy smokes, that thing would go.

It did bother me that there were some severe recalls of the "stop driving now" variety on the Escape. Granted, those were for a different engine, but still. As "New CX-5" mentioned above, that Ford MyTouch is a mess. A friend of mine has a Ford Edge. He's really got it customized nicely. However, it bugs me that all of the controls are done via touch screen or voice. It would really suck if the computer crashed and you couldn't control heat/air or any number of other things.

We waited until the 2014 CX5s came out and drove one. The acceleration is fine for our needs and the handling is fantastic. This is our primary kid hauler, so great handling is a definite plus for us, as is the safety rating. We are very pleased. As I mentioned in another thread, we've already noticed the mirror and hood vibration, so hopefully that will get ironed out soon.

We picked up a 2014 GT for my wife yesterday. A couple months ago, we test drove a Honda CRV, a 2013 CX-5, and Ford Escape Titanium. After driving those three cars, we were in agreement that we liked driving the Escape the best and also that its seats were the most comfortable. Now this wasn't apples to apples. The 2013 CX-5 had 155hp and the Escape had the 240hp engine. Holy smokes, that thing would go.

It did bother me that there were some severe recalls of the "stop driving now" variety on the Escape. Granted, those were for a different engine, but still. As "New CX-5" mentioned above, that Ford MyTouch is a mess. A friend of mine has a Ford Edge. He's really got it customized nicely. However, it bugs me that all of the controls are done via touch screen or voice. It would really suck if the computer crashed and you couldn't control heat/air or any number of other things.

We waited until the 2014 CX5s came out and drove one. The acceleration is fine for our needs and the handling is fantastic. This is our primary kid hauler, so great handling is a definite plus for us, as is the safety rating. We are very pleased. As I mentioned in another thread, we've already noticed the mirror and hood vibration, so hopefully that will get ironed out soon.
Great to hear all the positive feedback, I love my 2013 CX-5 too...There is not way he'll be getting the Escape, lol!!! Hey stw, what color did you get?

I shopped both cars.

There were really only 3 reasons I chose the CX-5
1- looks. CX-5 is the best looking SUV on the road. Its a car Im excited about, not just a transportation appliance.
2- space. CX-5 is slightly bigger, especially in backseat room. This was important to me for carseats.
3- saftey. I like the saftey features like smart brakes in the CX-5

Pretty much everything else on the Escape you get more for less money. Configuring a titanium you can get everythign on the cx-5 plus hands free liftgate, 240hp, better infotainment/integration, better nav, nicer interior etc etc for much less than i paid for my 2014 gt.

If the Escape is similar to a European Kuga, then I wouldchoose the CX5 everytime mainly due to the interior. Fords interiors are a bit in your face, all funny angles, plastic, far too many buttons that you really need. My parents have a new Focus and the way the dashboard angles out, it make the distance from dash to knees very close. The other major issue is the side vents on the far left and right, there is a vent on the lower side which is always open, and always blows cold air at you, very annoying indeed. the aircon display can hardly be read during day light due to the light blue LEDs. The headreast are unconfortable and can not be lowered due to their design. Sitting in a CX5 feels more classy, some negative reviews saying its boring and very dark but thats what I like in an interior.

I do like the CX5, however, we bought a Tribute when the time came to trade in the 3. I know it is still technically lots of ford parts on it, but it has character, rides well, fold-flat seating in the rear, and IMP looks better than the escape lol. Well mine does anyways :p

I shopped both cars.

There were really only 3 reasons I chose the CX-5
1- looks. CX-5 is the best looking SUV on the road. Its a car Im excited about, not just a transportation appliance.
2- space. CX-5 is slightly bigger, especially in backseat room. This was important to me for carseats.
3- saftey. I like the saftey features like smart brakes in the CX-5

Pretty much everything else on the Escape you get more for less money. Configuring a titanium you can get everythign on the cx-5 plus hands free liftgate, 240hp, better infotainment/integration, better nav, nicer interior etc etc for much less than i paid for my 2014 gt.

My Ford Touch has way to many menus and features, which is why it has terrible reviews by both consumers, tech journalists, and the auto press. Go on youtube and do a quick search, there are countless videos. The CX-5's system is basic, but it does most things well. Simplicity is key, especially since this is a car and your eyes should be on the road, not worrying over a frozen infotainment system that has locked your heat on full power in the middle of July. The My Ford Touch updates have actually made problems worse in a lot of cases as well.

In a perfect world all these infotainment systems would simply mirror your smartphones screen. This would be ideal since cell phones have pretty much nailed down the user interface.

I cross shopped both the Escape Titanium and the CX-5 GT. The choice came down to the CX-5 for the following reasons:

1) Biggest reason was MFT. It was laggy and crashed during my test drive. I'm willing to deal with a certain amount of technical annoyances in things like a computer or smartphone, but not a car. Edmunds InsideLine has report after report of issues with MFT on vehicles they've owned or tested including complete system shutdown or failure (their Focus ST thinks it has a backup camera, even though it isn't an option on the car).

2) Price. The Titanium comes really nicely equipped standard at $28k, but I still wanted a few extra goodies. Mainly the Navigation ($800) and a backup camera, which is stupidly bundled into the "Driver Assistance Package" for $1,000. Leather wasn't a necessity, nor was the panoramic sunroof, or other little goodies. So I was looking at an Escape right around $31k. Finding an Escape like that was another problem entirely. For whatever reason every single Titanium in my area was optioned up to $35k or more. The dealers had a "too bad" attitude about not having what I wanted in stock. Most refused to even offer to find one like I wanted or to order the car, and the one that was willing to order it told me that it would take 12 weeks to be made and delivered. However, they would re-assess my trade in once the car arrived and would most likely give me a lower number then they originally offered for it.

3) Reliability and Resale value. The Escape (and Ford in general) has had a lot of high profile recalls lately for some pretty serious issues, so the last think I wanted to do was drop $30k and be stuck with a car that was always having issues. Ford's inability to fix the MFT issues after 2 years of complaints was a big reliability sticking point too. Also I was concerned about potential resale value as the Escape has a pretty high volume of fleet sales (i.e. rental cars) which will undoubtedly cause lower resale values. (The ironic part of this is that my rental right now during my business trip is a '13 CX-5 Sport).

In the end I had more positives then negatives for the CX-5 over the Escape, so that's the way I went.

Driving dynamics. I drive the cars I own so this is a big deal. Maybe not so much if you have someone else drive you around.

Also, the Escape has a cramped feeling inside and the interior styling of the Mazda won't be embarrassing in three or four years.

But fuel economy is huge so why shouldn't we mention that?

Comparing a UK version called a Kuga to a CX5 in sport diesel.

Inside the Kuga has awful dated aluminum plastic, some like it, i hate it.
Outside it looks naff, the original Kuga looked great.

Moving on to the engine, well there's no comparison, the Kuga max torque is 251 pound feet, with power in the 161 area.
While the CX5 comes in two engine tunes, 148bhp but with 280 pound feet, and a higher powered version of 173 bhp giving 309 pound feet.

This more powerful engine in the CX5 gives lower emissions so lower road tax in the UK, and is more economical.

For these reasons i haven't even bothered to test drive a Kuga, or Rav4, both are underpowered with higher emissions, there really is no comparison.

The nearest match in the UK would be the bigger thirstier Santa Fe. Or BMW X3 but with a large price premium, which drives great but comes with a down market interior.

Back