Anyone wear out stock tires?

Has anyone here actually worn out their stock tires yet? I'm getting pretty close, but I plan to just run them through the summer even after they are below 2/32 since replacing tires after one year can get expensive.

Judging from the number of fillups on your Fuelly log, it would appear you don't even have 20k miles on them?

I too am curious how many miles you got out of them. I had to replace my 2010 Mazda3 stock tires at 15k miles. They weren't worn, but making tons of noise. Sold it at 42k and those continental dws that I replaced the stock with still looked like new.

My cx5 is at 13k miles and the tread looks new still so I'm hopeful these will last.

I just bought a set of Nitto Crosstek's after switching from my stock OEM 19's to 9lb lighter aftermarket 18's. These tires are awesome! They are designed for CUV's and handle dry & downpour conditions very well. No snow here in Fl so I don't know about that.

When it comes time to buy new tires I would definitely consider these!!!!

I'm currently at 23,600 miles. The tires aren't yet worn out, but they probably will be by fall or close enough that I wouldn't trust driving them in a Wyoming winter. Based off the current wear rate of the tires, they will probably be at 2/32 with 45K miles on them. Which is very good considering the fairly low 280 treadwear rating.

Little over 20K on mine and they aren't even close to worn out. I haven't checked them, but they are looking good.

Side note... I have just recently noticed some wear on the inside edge of the rears, but I'm happy to report they still ride smooth. Unlike my mazda5, which started showing ill effects at like 10k and tires were terrible by 20K with all sorts of wear and ride issues, even with a couple tire rotations. By the looks of my cx5, I think a rotation at 10-15k would be good. I chose to leave them alone and see what happened.

Not even close to wearing out for me at nearly 7k miles. I wish they would so I'd have an excuse for new rims/tires.

I'm running out of tread pretty quickly, now at about 18,000 miles, which I attribute to mountain driving. I'm just above the wear indicator which I believe is at 4/32 of an inch. My understanding is that wet traction greatly diminishes between 4/32 and 2/32, so I guess I'll be in the market soon. The tires are also getting a bit noisy, so I won't mind trading them in soon. Has anyone had any luck with Michellin Defenders? I want quality tires that will last at least 50,000 miles.

If you want a high mileage tyre, then don't expect to get a lot of grip.

Wowzers. Getting close to 18K on the stock 17" Geolanders here, and still tons of life left on them. I need to rotate them again soon...

I wish they'd hurry up actually, so I can justify swapping the wheels from my MS6 onto the CX-5 (and the new tires that will have to come along with them).

Am about 20,500 miles on the clock in 9 months and have 6mm tread left on all tyres (AWD). Legal minimum in UK is 1.6mm, new tyres usually have 8mm tread so....... I see my tyres lasting a fairly lengthy time still!

I wish I could dial more negative camber in. At least -0.5 more. At 5000 miles, I am seeing a slight increase in positive camber wear. Yes I love taking my exit and on ramps near the limit. These low rolling resistance tires don't like the heat either.

I just went in for service the other day and i have 28,000 KM on my 2013. I was told by they guy that i have 9/32 on my treed left on 2 of the tires and then 10/32 on the other 2. When I asked what they started out as he said about 10-12/32. So I have had my car for just over a year now and the tires are really good so far for wear. I am in Ontario, Canada so winter helps with wear but overall I am happy as most tires sold on a new car are 30K tires from what I remember. I have the 17" standard package with tech package which got me better rims if anyone is curious. Also does anyone know when you should replace your tires at? is it 4 or 2/32 or something like that?

Last edited:
19" Toyos are wearing well at 17K miles, only rotated every other oil change service. Based on wear so far, I estimate they will last over 60K miles.

19" Toyos are wearing well at 17K miles, only rotated every other oil change service. Based on wear so far, I estimate they will last over 60K miles.

I think based on my current rate of tread-loss my stock 19" Toyos should last about this distance also.

I think based on my current rate of tread-loss my stock 19" Toyos should last about this distance also.

60k! That's nuts!

So if I do 10000 miles a year and use summer tyres for 6 months only, then my tyres will last 12 years!

60k! That's nuts!

So if I do 10000 miles a year and use summer tyres for 6 months only, then my tyres will last 12 years!

Why not??? The winter tires I bought for my Volvo in January 1999 (on rims) went with the car when I sold it in August 2012. Still, the local tire dealer told me in the spring of 2012 (inquired every spring since 2009 whether they were good for another winter) that they would need replacing that fall. I didn't do a lot of winter driving and they were under inflated, bagged, and indoor stored each spring.

Brian

Mmm... I know that for winter tyres it is not a matter of tread loss. After a period of 3/5 years they usually get a sort of "vulcanization" that makes them almost unusable.
I bought four Pirelli Sottozero S2 in fall 2007 which I had to substitute last november (as usual few months before changing the car!) because I was no longer able to make the climb to my home, despite the tires still looked in excellent condition. Even having used them no more than 5 months a year and only about 30.000km, they seemed to have become soap!

So, anyone can recommend a good and quiet tire replacement for 17" wheel?

I swapped stock Michelins on my Odyssey van to Good Year assurance pros and the noise levels improved dramatically. I'd probably do the same in CX-5 when the time comes unless there is a better recommendation.

Just want to chime in on this since I had my oil changed today and they checked the tire tread depth for me. The fronts were 3/32...couldn't read what the rears said. I have 56,500 ish miles on my stock 19" tires. I think I'm due for some new ones here soon. Any recommendation on a new set of tires? Not trying to spend a fortune, bargain and quality.

Back