Road Noise??

Hey CX-5 owners,

Looking into buying the Mazda Cx-5 - want to know about road noise. I cannot stand a loud interior: wind noise, road noise, bumpy ride, etc. How well does the Mazda cx-5 soundproof the inside? How loud is the engine, etc?

Thanks!

I would say the CX-5 is average in regard to road and wind noise. Highway ride is better than around town, where I have found the ride harsher than expected.

So the ride is harsh? Anyone know how it compares to the new escape?

The CX-5 is more firm but less jarring. Sportier feeling but not any louder. Feels solid while feeling the opposite of porky.
The CX-5 has more suspension travel too.

Take one for a test drive and compare it to the Escape. If you are like me you will prefer the ride of the CX-5 by a mile.

Hey CX-5 owners,

Looking into buying the Mazda Cx-5 - want to know about road noise. I cannot stand a loud interior: wind noise, road noise, bumpy ride, etc. How well does the Mazda cx-5 soundproof the inside? How loud is the engine, etc?

Thanks!

Test drive one out. Do it for a long time, during cold days (sub-zero Celsius) and check out ride quality over uneven pavement/bumpy roads.

The underdash rattle problems are prevalent. Many have complained about noises from rear as well.

It may not be what you are looking for based on my CX-5 sport MT.

Also, I find wind noise (driver side/mirror area) above average. It is quite disturbing actually.

think of CX-5 as having a sport tuned suspension. the shocks do damper the bumps, but you do feel the road in a control feeling. Its more of a comfortable ride then Forester or CRV, but I think the new Escape does have a softer ride at the expense of not being rider oriented, just a boring a to b ride.

When shopping for a new vehicle, including the CX-5, I used an android app (Sound Meter) to measure the internal cabin noise. The conditions were: 70mph, all windows rolled up, no music or talking, and the passenger held the phone halfway up between the front two seats. The stretch of highway was recently paved and smooth. All vehicles were sound tested on the same section of hwy. Here are my results:
2013 CX-5 Touring = 67dB
2011 Prius = 71-72dB
2013 Elantra GT = 70-71dB
Overall, I'm pleased with the relatively low road noise of the CX-5 compared to other vehicles we test drove. The difference between 67dB and 72dB was noticeable to both myself and the passenger.

Hmmm...I love the cx 5, especially all the options you can get at a much lower price than the escape. What does it mean that it's fun to drive? I'm not really one to speed or pass cars

What does it mean that it's fun to drive? I'm not really one to speed or pass cars

I've done plenty of speeding and passing in my day (I reserve that for motorcycles now) but speeding and passing is not the CX-5's forte.

"Fun to drive" simply means that the vehicle feels like an extension of yourself. It responds to your commands instantly and provides feedback as to what it's doing. It is nimble and engaging, not ponderous and isolating. It lets the enjoyable sensations come through while isolating harsh roads and pavement imperfections. All this leads to driving experience that is more pleasant and more safe. It encourages a positive attitude and leaves you feeling refreshed at your destination rather than tired.

You should expect a difference in ride quality between the 19's on the GT and 17's on the Touring and Sport, and then again with each subsequent new set of tires you install throughout the years. Tires play a very big role in road noise and ride quality.
But, as far as the GT (19's) Car and Driver muled, their testing results were as followed:

"...40.5dB engine noise and 68.6dB road noise..."

Really, pretty average. I find the CX-5's interior to be quiet and comfortable on smooth roadways. I have a touring with 17's, and rough, bumpy roads can be very jarring and jouncy to me. But, it is not unexpected. Most Mazda OE suspension performs this way, and it is a small compromise for the great driving experience they deliver.

Wind noise on highway speed is very noticeable, unless there is NO wind at all. Other than that, I can say it's very quiet, even with the 19s.

I have noted that a strong crosswind not only blows the CX-5 all over the road, but it also seems nosier with a crosswind compared to alot of other vehicles...

I have noted that a strong crosswind not only blows the CX-5 all over the road, but it also seems nosier with a crosswind compared to alot of other vehicles...
I presume you mean "noisier". I've noticed that when heavy drops of water fall on the roof (like from an overhead tree branch) there doesn't seem to be a lot of insulation in the roof structure (maybe part of the weight savings strategy). This could contribute to noise created by a strong crosswind.

Hey CX-5 owners,

Thanks!

Non-issues, except one area possibly for some, loudness of the engine. The CX-5 has excellent sound-proofing and road noise isolation.

All the 4 cylinder engines in this class of compact SUV/crossover have relatively loud engines when pressed into high rpms (being in-line 4's and flat 4's). None sound like premium V6 or V8 engines. The CRV 4 banger is smoothest of the lot, but will never be mistaken for a V6 or V8.

Non-issues, except one area possibly for some, loudness of the engine. The CX-5 has excellent sound-proofing and road noise isolation.

All the 4 cylinder engines in this class of compact SUV/crossover have relatively loud engines when pressed into high rpms (being in-line 4's and flat 4's). None sound like premium V6 or V8 engines. The CRV 4 banger is smoothest of the lot, but will never be mistaken for a V6 or V8.

So V4's sound louder than a V6? I assumed more powerful engines were louder but I guess it makes sense the other way since a V4 would have to work harder. So it's only an issue when accelerating to high speeds? I would primarily be cruising at 65ish on the highway. How would the noise be?

Would it be as loud as my current 2007 Ford Escape V6? My current car seems so loud at high speed, but it's a V6..

So V4's sound louder than a V6? I assumed more powerful engines were louder but I guess it makes sense the other way since a V4 would have to work harder. So it's only an issue when accelerating to high speeds? I would primarily be cruising at 65ish on the highway. How would the noise be?

Would it be as loud as my current 2007 Ford Escape V6? My current car seems so loud at high speed, but it's a V6..

Yes, only an issue when accelerating to high speed and only when doing it as briskly as possible. Personally, I like the engine note so it's not a negative issue for me.

Cruising at freeway speed almost all of the ambient noise will be from the wind and tire/road interface, not the engine. And I think you will find the ambient wind and road/tire noise to better than the Escape. But that will depend in part upon the tires of each vehicle.

I realize you are excited about a possible new car but it's probably best not to over-analyze such subjective characteristics, just test drive the ones you are interested in and see what you think. Based on what you have shared so far, I will be surprised if the CX-5 does not come out on top. It might even be love at first drive.

Yes, only an issue when accelerating to high speed and only when doing it as briskly as possible. Personally, I like the engine note so it's not a negative issue for me.

Cruising at freeway speed almost all of the ambient noise will be from the wind and tire/road interface, not the engine. And I think you will find the ambient wind and road/tire noise to better than the Escape. But that will depend in part upon the tires of each vehicle.

I realize you are excited about a possible new car but it's probably best not to over-analyze such subjective characteristics, just test drive the ones you are interested in and see what you think. Based on what you have shared so far, I will be surprised if the CX-5 does not come out on top. It might even be love at first drive.

Thank you for the advice. I drove the Escape and I looked at the CX-5...I think I'm 99% certain I will get it. I'm really in love with this car!! Just got to find someone willing to give me a deal ;)

I found the wind noise very high at speeds of 60mph and above.

Noise appears to be from the top of the windscreen to me, while whatcar reported the wind noise from the bottom of the screen.

And the drivers mirror can be seen to vibrate noticeably, no bonnet (hood) movement that i could see however.

I found it wind noise very tiring, but as 90% of my usage is local A or B roads at speeds up to 50mph its not a issue.
The tyre noise was no worse than I'm use to.

My motorway usage is usually pulling a 1565kg caravan at speeds around 55mph (limit is 60mph), so i can live with the wind noise, as the diesel engine is really superb.

Back