The Official 'Smoking K04' Thread / List - Info Inside

tunersteve

Contributor
:
2011 Mustang GT
Here is your one stop shop for all things related to the DISI K04 smoking issue.

Currently, I'm in the process of pulling all the information together, but I want this to be as complete as possible. If you have any additional information to add, please post it here or PM me so it can be added to the first post.

DISCLAIMER: Some of this info may not be confirmed, and may change over time. Please check back from time to time and see the latest.

Background:
Since the creation of the DISI motor in 2006, there have been reports over time of vehicles producing a white/bluish smoke under a prolonged idle. This is sometimes accompanied by a smell of 'burning oil'. Mazda is aware of this, and has even issued an M-tips bulletin (need to find currently) regarding the problem. This applies to the MS6, MS3, and CX-7, without any specific VIN breakdown.

The stock turbo (Hitachi-Warner K04) is a linear (journal) bearing design, and upon idle, oil creeps past the seals. There have been three part numbers known so far:
  • L3Y1-13-70ZA (as built on most DISI motors up to _______)
  • L3Y1-13-70ZB (superceded A on _______)
  • L3Y1-13-70ZC (current) - said to have a revised seal design to combat the recurring problem. Earliest repair I have found using this part # is Sept. 2008
Dealers under the M-tips bulletin are inclined to perform a compression and leak down test of the motor, then check the turbo for signs of seal failure. Upon a repair, the following parts are used:

(building parts list)

Currently, there are many threads/posts from users who have experienced this issue and have had or are having the turbo replaced. In this thread, please post the following(copy below):

Year/Model:
Mileage:
Modded (yes/no):
Date Replaced:
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice):
Comments:

By building a list of information, users can reference this, and I will update as more info becomes available.

Links to other DISI smoking turbo threads:
MS3:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123691179

CX-7:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5392158#post5392158

Potential Areas for Improvment:

Option 1 - Install a second PCV valve and oil catch can. This was recommended by Cobb in one of their published reports, along with a how-to. Many users have found a gunk in their OCC after only a few days or just over a week. See this link for details.

Option 2 - Switch from 5w-30 to 5w-40 oil. The thicker oil is less prone to seeping past the seals. Also, the oil in the DISI motor shears quickly, so frequent oil changes are required for optimal protection.

There is reason to believe that the direct injection is causing a washing affect at idle that cause the oil to be washed off the walls and then burnt since the fuel pressure is significantly less at idle and it does not create proper atomization of fuel.

Thanks to bova80 and robin2660 for additional information.

Rev. 0 3/29/09 - Created thread
Rev. 1 3/29/09 - Added potential options, link to Cobb report

Last edited by a moderator:
Year/Model:07 ms6 gt
Mileage:18k
Modded (yes/no):yes (CAI,Gutted 2nd cat, NGK -1)
Date Replaced:12/08??
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice):Will edit later when i get home
Comments:As stated in other thread, Service was quick, and when i went to replace the mani and dp i found out why, ALOT of the nuts and bolts were left loose, like barely fingertight.

don't forget using a higher weight oil will help. i run 5w40 and no longer have this issue. always make sure you are at least using a 5w30 though. our oil sheers down quite a bit after a couple thousand miles so that makes it easier to get by the seals.

it has also been said that the direct injection is causing a washing affect at idle that cause the oil to be washed off the walls and then burnt since the fuel pressure is significantly less at idle and it does not create proper atomization of fuel.

Year/Model: 2006 MS6 GT
Mileage: 33,xxx
Modded (yes/no): yes, MS CAI
Date Replaced: 4/10/09
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice): 70ZC
Comments: After bringing Mazda Engineers in thinking it was a bad engine, they just replaced the turbo and said all looks good. No problems with having the CAI.

Last edited:
Two other things I'd like to mention:

1 - under the 'modded' section, if you don't feel so inclined to post, don't specify your mods. That's up to you.

2 - this is only for those who are having it done or have had it done (turbo replacement) so far.

Year/Model: 2007 MS6 Sport
Mileage: 28,xxx
Modded (yes/no): yes
Date Replaced: 4/1/09
Comments: Dealer reported finding a sizeable amount of oil on the exhaust side of the turbo. All appears well after new turbo was installed.

Mileage: 30,800
Modded (yes/no): Nope
Date Replaced: 4/28/2009
Comments: Will update this Tuesday, after the dealer is done with the car.

Year/Model: MPS6 2007 (Australia)
Mileage: 32000KMS
Modded (yes/no): Splitter back 2.5inch zorst
Date Replaced: March 2009
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice): to follow
Comments: Love my new turbo, spools earlier and appears to pull harder for longer.

Massive numbers of cars going back under warranty here in Australia, seems Mazda Australia are well aware of the situation over hear.

OK, I got the car back today. Here's the info:

Mileage: 30,800
Modded (yes/no): Nope
Date Replaced: 4/30/2009
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice): L3Y1-13-70ZC
Turbo Gasket Part # (From Invoice): L3K9-13-710
Comments: There are also part #s for a nut, nut flange, and a stud. surge, if anyone needs them. The dealer also found and fixed a coolant leak. Feels a bit peppier, but that may just be because I'm used to the Grand Cherokee I was driving. They said it was the third one the dealership had repaired. Cross your fingers!

Year/Model: 2007 Mazdaspeed 6
Mileage: 12,500
Modded (yes/no): CAI, Cat-back exhaust
Date Replaced: 7/7/09
Comments: Experienced white smoke phenomenon, dealer changed me to 5w40 synthetic, smoke went away, then reappeared within 10 days. Replaced turbo, all seems well so far.

*The smoke did occur about a week after I installed my magnaflow cat-back and I know a lot of folks experience the smoke after exhaust work, so the decrease in back-pressure probably sped up whatever flaws were already present with my turbo.

Last edited:
Year/Model: 2006 speed6
Mileage: 21000
Modded (yes/no): no
Date Replaced: TAKING IT IN ON TUESDAY
Comments: Had some slight smoking while at a red light 2wks ago.. nothing for 2 wks, then yesterday had a LOT of smoking at idle.. old people in a car behind me looked nervous - i think people thought my car was on fire! Will update when I get it worked on

took car in.. it smoked like a chimney in the parking lot when i dropped it off on monday (service was closed). they tried to replicate the problem numerous times today and it didn't happen.. Also, they mentioned that my clutch was making a "whining" noise and i should "keep an eye on it".. 2 miles down the road, the clutch was completely fried and I could not get the car into any gear.. I am soooo frustrated now. no turbo fix + bum clutch= great day for me

Year/Model: 07 MS6
Mileage: 35500
Date Replaced: First inspection 9/28, parts ordered. Repair sched. for 10/2
Comments: This is not for smoking, but for bearing failure. Car makes very loud whining noise on acceleration and moderate to heavy boost. Also found that the return line on the back of the block was leaking, but not sure if that contributed to the failure. Turbo replaced without issue, will post info after repairs complete.

Year/Model: 06 MS6
Mileage: 23xxx
Date Replaced: First inspection 9/02, parts ordered 10/9. Repair 10/14
Turbo Part # (from repair invoice): L3Y1-13-70ZB
Comments: cust. states smoking from tail pipe. cause: f0111xrx turbo charger assembly and/or gasket R&R (turbo charger, sub A, gasket turbocharger, gasket, stud-surge tank, stud-surge tank, nut, gasket, sensor-air & fuel RA). came in with all mods on except i removed race pipe and bpv. very friendly dealer.

Btw, I noticed most repairs have z07C where mine is z07B...which one is newer, preferred?

Last edited:
Steve can you give me some insight on the whining issue? My car smokes, first time I took it to the dealer smoking horridly they said it was the PCV and they replaced it... seemed well and didn't smoke, then about 3 weeks later it started smoking at long idle again, like 15 20 minutes.

I took it into dealer ONCE (after first smoking fix) and showed service guy, he saw and confirmed, I couldn't drop it off right there since it was after work at 5:30 and they wouldn't have been able to give me a rental.

Took the car in 2nd time and the service guy no longer worked there.... had them check the car and it didn't smoke at ALL. Now sometimes it will smoke off and one, and once in a while my GF tells me she can hear the turbo whining and she'd never heard it before. So I've been wondering if the bearings are going. Was your whining on and off when it first started.... or was it consistent?

Last edited:
Back