which synthetic oil to use?

Hello!

I am about to start to use synthetic engine oil going forward and I noticed I lost the owner's manual!

Can you people please recommend the best synthetic oil for Mazda 5?
(5W20? 5W30? I don't have much knowledge about it) (help)

I am thinking of buying Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil.

Thanks very much!

Regards,
AK

Mobil 1 5W-20 is fine. I now use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 because it's a little cheaper. I've also used 0W-20 for easy starts in extremely cold weather. I like Purolator Pureone premium oil filters too.

Last edited:
I was using Mobil 5w30 in my Protege. I have not decided whether I'll make the change with the 5.

I run 0w20 Amsoil with their long life filter with my Honda. That engine also calls for 5w20. Some people feel 20 weight is too light and switch to 30 weight.

Advance Auto has a special now: 5 qts of any Mobil 1 oil with Mobil 1 filter for $29 - quite the deal (though I don't think they have the new Mobil 1 cartridge filters in stock yet - grab a spin-on filter for another vehicle or ask to swap out a cartridge filter they have in stock). I use Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy and it works fine for me:) Mobil 1 5W-20 should work just fine as well.

Last edited:
How long do you wait between oil changes on the Mazda5?

If I remember right, the recommended interval is 15,000km (9,300 miles) or 1 year, but that seems a little long. But then again, synthetic is supposed to last longer. Are you really only changing your oil once a year?

And check Wal-Mart's prices. I used Mobil 1 in a Volvo that I sold a couple of years ago ('93 940T), the price at that time was about $21 for a five quart jug. The Mazda5 takes 4.3 quarts.

And of course... does it really need synthetic? I thought synthetic was for engines that are running hotter (have a turbo) or are running higher for some reason (V6's). But on the flip side, if I'm really only changing oil once a year, the extra $8 or $10 for synthetic isn't really an issue.

Last edited:

If I remember right, the recommended interval is 15,000km (9,300 miles) or 1 year, but that seems a little long. But then again, synthetic is supposed to last longer. Are you really only changing your oil once a year?

And check Wal-Mart's prices. I used Mobil 1 in a Volvo that I sold a couple of years ago ('93 940T), the price at that time was about $21 for a five quart jug. The Mazda5 takes 4.3 quarts.

And of course... does it really need synthetic? I thought synthetic was for engines that are running hotter (have a turbo) or are running higher for some reason (V6's). But on the flip side, if I'm really only changing oil once a year, the extra $8 or $10 for synthetic isn't really an issue.

I change the oil every 5,000 miles and the filter every other time. I use Motorcraft 5-20 semi synthetic from Wal Mart.

Does it really need to be synthetic? No. But it wont hurt either way.

Also note that I have never had a change use more than 4 quarts, even with a new filter. Without the filter 3.5 or so, with the filter right at 4.

I use Castrol Syntec 5w-20 with an STP filter. My car has 62K miles and I haven't had any problems. I change my oil about every 7500 miles or so but I have gone 11K miles without an oil change with no ill effects.

I was going to use Mobil 1 instead of the Castrol Syntec but when I went to autozone that day, they were out of Mobil 1 5w-20 so i just grabbed the Castrol Syntec lol. I haven't had the need to switch brands so I just stick with what's been working thus far.

During the warranty period, I will change Mobil 1 at the max OEM recommended interval with full confidence, 7500 miles.

Do you need a syn, no. You can use cheaper oils (marketed as conventional or "syn blend") that are certified against minimum performance requirements and designed to be price competitive. Oil's cheap in the grand scheme of things and I personally value the performance of Mobil 1 for: cold starts (it flows faster), more robust additive package for deposit prevention, higher performance base oil, better fuel economy, and the long list of OEMs across the world that recommend Mobil 1 from the factory.

I thought synthetic was for engines that are running hotter (have a turbo) or are running higher for some reason (V6's).

Some cars with turbos the oil lines run through the turbocharger to cool it down. With the extremely high temperatures a turbo can get, the oil can cook and turn really ugly in there. That is why they come from the factory with synthetic and they "require" it.

Perhaps some high performance exotic car engines also require but I'm not sure, haven't read the specifications.

Synthetic oil couldn't hurt. You'll never ever hear a mechanic take apart an engine after 500,000 miles and say something like "ya know, too bad your engine didn't make it, it'd go up to a million if ya used SYNTHETIC OIL"

During the warranty period, I will change Mobil 1 at the max OEM recommended interval with full confidence, 7500 miles.

Do you need a syn, no. You can use cheaper oils (marketed as conventional or "syn blend") that are certified against minimum performance requirements and designed to be price competitive. Oil's cheap in the grand scheme of things and I personally value the performance of Mobil 1 for: cold starts (it flows faster), more robust additive package for deposit prevention, higher performance base oil, better fuel economy, and the long list of OEMs across the world that recommend Mobil 1 from the factory.

+1, new Mazda 5 with 500 miles.
At 3000 I'm going with Mobil1 and at every 7500.
I'll be still covered under warranty.

Back