Mufflers SIZE

100$ GUY

:
2015 CX-9 GT AWD
Anybody knows?

How much inches in/out? Body length??

This car needs to have a much more throatier sound....seems it already has high flow mufflers.....

I don't know if they are high flow, but the fact that the single exhaust splits into two good sized tailpipe/muffler assemblies should increase flow.

The cats

The cats on this vehicle already choke off the exhaust and increase the backpressure. Adding larger/louder mufflers on this V6 will only give you an unpleasant drone. You can experiment, but it's an expensive way to go. The entire muffler system is harmonically tuned in this vehicle, to NOT match up with any other mechanical frequencies in the car, essentially cancelling out any vibrations you may get from other areas, such as transmission, suspension etc. If you change the harmonics, you may wind up with secondary vibrations in the car, because you "detuned" the exhaust setup. Additionally, the backpressure of a dual out of one pipe in this car is not much, and has also been optimized for sound vs backpressure. Not much sound coming out my CX-9, if any at all - but I don't dare touch it. Been there with a V6, done that, and it's not pretty. V6's have a different firing order than V8's and they are much more difficult to tune in pleasing exhuast frequencies. Resist the urge to put Flowmasters on, you will regret it! Beside, you are probably too old to be doing that stuff anymore...! (mj)

Good response. Too many guys think they can just bolt on better performance, but those days are long gone. The computer can only adjust so much to varying conditions. They can't just see a new intake or exhaust and re-tune the engine to perform better with them. This is exactly why most cars with those annoying mufflers blow smoke every time the driver hits the gas, and are as slow, or slower, that the factory setup. The computer is precisely tuned to the factory system. The CX9 is too mature to sound like a crotch rocket, anyway. It's an ADULT vehicle guys.

The cats on this vehicle already choke off the exhaust and increase the backpressure. Adding larger/louder mufflers on this V6 will only give you an unpleasant drone. You can experiment, but it's an expensive way to go. The entire muffler system is harmonically tuned in this vehicle, to NOT match up with any other mechanical frequencies in the car, essentially cancelling out any vibrations you may get from other areas, such as transmission, suspension etc. If you change the harmonics, you may wind up with secondary vibrations in the car, because you "detuned" the exhaust setup. Additionally, the backpressure of a dual out of one pipe in this car is not much, and has also been optimized for sound vs backpressure. Not much sound coming out my CX-9, if any at all - but I don't dare touch it. Been there with a V6, done that, and it's not pretty. V6's have a different firing order than V8's and they are much more difficult to tune in pleasing exhuast frequencies. Resist the urge to put Flowmasters on, you will regret it! Beside, you are probably too old to be doing that stuff anymore...! (mj)

A high flow cat may be a good option to look into for better flow and possibly a bit throatier note.

Well, rogerspw, I think you and are are just too old. One of the things I love about the CX9 is how quiet it is, even when I'm smoking some 'sports car' off the line.

Yeah, Im just gathering info, by the way, Im 28 bro, if thats too old, then how some of the members around here look like , like this? (beer)
hahahaha (lol2)

Good response. Too many guys think they can just bolt on better performance, but those days are long gone. The computer can only adjust so much to varying conditions. They can't just see a new intake or exhaust and re-tune the engine to perform better with them. This is exactly why most cars with those annoying mufflers blow smoke every time the driver hits the gas, and are as slow, or slower, that the factory setup. The computer is precisely tuned to the factory system. The CX9 is too mature to sound like a crotch rocket, anyway. It's an ADULT vehicle guys.

Wrong, looking for a throatier sound, not improved perfomance.
And u know, from the very few posts Ive read lately, we all know your answers already, u dislike mods a lot!
So......take it easy and dont go trying to convince everyone with your thinking only.
Let the info flow ! Thats it....

(cheers2)

A high flow cat may be a good option to look into for better flow and possibly a bit throatier note.

Yeah exactly, if that could be done, it would be an OPTION for those who like it, but we gotta gather info first, so that looks good.
Man, this cx-9 is so short of mods.....

Back