How much should spring installation run?

Armyguy1104

:
06 MS6 GT
I bought the Eibach Pro-Kit last week and should be getting them installed tomorrow morning. The guy here at a local import shop says it cost $316.00 for them to install them and possible another $30 - $40 due to it being AWD. Does this sound about right. Thanks for the help.

$360~$400 for a sping install is crazy..

The install takes about 2.5 hours if you've never done it before, at $80 an hour that's only $200...

Find another shop.

ssinstaller said:
$360~$400 for a sping install is crazy..

The install takes about 2.5 hours if you've never done it before, at $80 an hour that's only $200...

Find another shop.

That is crazy.. did he mean 360 - 400 for the springs w/ install? that would make a little more sense. And for the AWD that shouldn't affect anything.. if you had awd steering I can understand the alignment being a little more dificult.

Thanks for your responses. I called a couple other shops and believe it or not the first was the cheapest. One quoted me over $500 just for install and another stated his computers didnt go that high for time? so he would have to take a look at it. I asked him if it would be over 300 or 400 and he said probably.

it will cost you a trip to autozone to borrow a clamp for the springs... a couple jack stands that i would hope you have already... a good afternoon to work on it, and couple of beers for celebration. (friday)

Im in the military and temporarily stationed up here in DC/MD so I dont have any tools or things of that nature with me.

Regardless I just paid them since they were the cheapest in the area, whats funny is that they charged 4 hours labor which is why it came to $300. I know there are flat rates for certain jobs so I am assuming 4 hours is the standard for certain suspension work. Anyhow it took him a little more than an hour to finish and they tried to sell me an alignment for another $100+. I bought my wheels up here at Tiresplus and they offer lifetime balancing / alignments so I figured I would stop by there in the next week or two.

Anyhow I'm waiting for the dealership to get the parts to repair my door and once that is finished and I can wash it I will have pics up. Thanks for the help.

Armyguy1104 said:
Im in the military and temporarily stationed up here in DC/MD so I dont have any tools or things of that nature with me.

Regardless I just paid them since they were the cheapest in the area, whats funny is that they charged 4 hours labor which is why it came to $300. I know there are flat rates for certain jobs so I am assuming 4 hours is the standard for certain suspension work. Anyhow it took him a little more than an hour to finish and they tried to sell me an alignment for another $100+. I bought my wheels up here at Tiresplus and they offer lifetime balancing / alignments so I figured I would stop by there in the next week or two.

Anyhow I'm waiting for the dealership to get the parts to repair my door and once that is finished and I can wash it I will have pics up. Thanks for the help.

I can understand that, and yes most shops charge a minimum of four hours of work for almost anything. as for the alignment, some tires shops that offer lifetime alignment wont do it if they need to add caster camber plates, i don't think it requires them, but if they do they might turn you down. i'm not sure though, don't have a tiresplus around here. can't wait to see the pics though!!

Yes, note to self for future reference, 1/2hr tops per corner. That price you paid is very high. I can do that job (with a lift) in 2 hours tops.

Like I said before I called around ahead of time and they were the cheapest out of the shops in the area. Others wanted 400-500$ for the install. What you also have to realize is that I live in a high cost area so everything is more expensive then some of the places you guys are at. Gas is already started to push $3/gal here again and I know back home in Florida its no where near that. Rent here is crazy which means the businesses are going to charge more for their services.

TX Speed 6 said:
I can understand that, and yes most shops charge a minimum of four hours of work for almost anything.

That's freakin' nuts, I personally have never heard of this practice and under no circumstances would I ever deal with a business that flat out charged me for 4 hours of work no matter how little time it took to do it.(eekfu)

I'll be doing my own in the driveway or in my girlfriends garage.

Last edited:
I have done numerous spring installs with help from friends. The longest it has ever taken us was 2.5 hrs however that is with maybe two people working on it and chatting and not working very fast. I couldn't imagine paying that kind of money to do it especially when there are detailed how-tos on various sites. All you really need is a set of jack stands, a spring compressor, and a ratchet set and other misc tools.

So does Eibach have a set for the MS6 now or are you planning to just install the Regular 6 springs? Has anyone done this yet?

Back