my Mazda5 was rear-ended last night :(

Hambone

:
Mazda5
I've had my Mazda5 for a little over a month and last night on my way home from work I was rear ended, by a Protege no less. It was low speed, maybe 10 - 15 mph, no injuries for anyone involved thankfully. The rear bumper cover has a few scuffs and a crease about 20" long right in the center. (sad2) Does Mazda sell pre-painted body panels by any chance?

Glad both drivers are okay first and foremost, but also that your 5 only got some bumps and bruises! When I read the title to this thread I was picturing the rear end all crumpled up, but glad it was seemingly just cosmetic.

I know some people are really against them, but I believe in them... if you experience any neck pain over the next few days, schedule an appointment with a chiropractor to correct any whiplash damage.

From what I have seen most Mazda Bumper covers come availible color coded.

Ensure to get an independant dealer look under the 5 to ensure its just not a bumper cover as our bumpers are only classed for 8 km/h without major damage.....JMO

This is a good time to remind people to adjust their head rests properly. It should hit you square in the back of the head to support your neck in the case of a collision from the rear.

If they are just pushed down all the way at worst they wont stop you from getting whiplash, and at the worst if the height is just at the wrong level will break your neck! Friend of mine drives an ambulance and a lady backed her car out of a parking spot right as he was going by, not even driving fast or with a code or anything, he just couldn't swerve the big truck enough to avoid her, just clipping her bumper was enough to break her neck because of how she had her head rest adjusted. She died instantly.

X10James said:
This is a good time to remind people to adjust their head rests properly. It should hit you square in the back of the head to support your neck in the case of a collision from the rear.

If they are just pushed down all the way at worst they wont stop you from getting whiplash, and at the worst if the height is just at the wrong level will break your neck! Friend of mine drives an ambulance and a lady backed her car out of a parking spot right as he was going by, not even driving fast or with a code or anything, he just couldn't swerve the big truck enough to avoid her, just clipping her bumper was enough to break her neck because of how she had her head rest adjusted. She died instantly.

Holy Moley!!!

Bumper comes primered.
Only 'painted' bumpers are for Trributes with the textured plastic bumpers and lower cladding.

Glad to hear that both parties are ok.

I would suggest you have a shop take a look at the rear bumper. Visible damage may only be the bumper cover, but the impact absorbing foam (looks like styrofoam) or braces behind the bumper cover may have compacted. So if that isn't fixed, the rear end won't be up to safety specs.

Besides, the other guy/gal's insurance will pay for it. Might as well get it checked out.

Back