ZPS Build Thread

Yea my car is a beast in the corners. I am in the fastest group and no one could outrun me through the corners. I get a lot of compliments on the car when people in fast cars catch me on the straight, then in the corners I just leave them. I looked over some of my videos last night and there are some really good moments in the rain. I am hoping to work on a video tonight and get it uploaded. Oh and I have a newer go-pro now so they should be slightly higher quality as well.

^ I can attest to this. I run 1:40 flat fairly consistently in my 1.6 Miata and he and I never see each other on the track.

@eyeballs, Zach suggested that we both bring our 2's to the next AMP track day and slug it out.

^ I can attest to this. I run 1:40 flat fairly consistently in my 1.6 Miata and he and I never see each other on the track.

@eyeballs, Zach suggested that we both bring our 2's to the next AMP track day and slug it out.

Sounds like fun. Without having to share with Katie, I could run red with you guys. I'd probably need to get something stickier than my current 185/55 all-seasons though.

To add to the fun I think Dave is going to bring his Sonic back next time not a solstice like he was planning. He enjoyed messing with people in the small hatchback.

then again for the next AMP event I am hoping to have the RX7 running.

"The Ringer". I think a new screen name is due. Nice mention. Seems like it's a great group of folks to run with.

Yea they are very relaxed group which I like and after every event they make a donation to a charity of some sort. The last event they had a silent auction with a bunch of stuff in it to help raise money.

I think there might be a shirt being made which has a picture of the Stig, but it says "I am the Ringer"

Just want to say I appreciate the clutch and flywheel info. In a few months I'm going to look into getting the 13lb Flyin Miata flywheel and an ACT HD street disc. Hoping it will be a happy medium between sluggishly revving stock and omg racecar. I had a similar setup on my B13 Sentra SE-R and didn't have any flywheel noise. Hoping for more of the same on my M2 daily.

Also, I'm not sure if you have the Dynotronics tune or not but do you think the tune or the flywheel makes a bigger difference in throttle response? It's something that has bothered me about the car from day 1.

As far as the flywheel, it isn't bad. The clutch is the main thing. The 13lbs would be fine.

I have never had an issue with the throttle response on the 2, but then again I keep the revs higher than most people and that makes a difference. I have my own tune on the car and I didn't make any changes to the throttle mapping since I have no issues with it.

Zach

I see, thanks. Maybe my peeve isn't throttle related. The car always feels fine at speed but if I come up to a stop sign and quickly try to get back on the gas it takes ages to accelerate. It's a similar feeling to a car pulling timing. Really annoying.

So this weekend was another trackday in the 2 at Road Atlanta. The theme of the day was hot. It was 97 degrees outside and I have no idea how hot the pavement was but it was hot. The car survived with no issues. I was happy I could get a 3rd trackday from the pads and rotors which is a new record for me. I worked on a couple of lines through 3 different turns and felt that I started to make progress on improving. The thing I am trying to figure out is that I was a little over 2 seconds slower than my best. The only thing I can think of that changed is that it was hotter and I have different tires. When I looked at the data I was slower everywhere. Acceleration seemed to be about the same, but I was slower in the turns which made me slower on the straight. Not sure if I was just driving easier or if the heat paid a bigger role than I thought. This is with the 205 RE-71R's. Best was with 225 R888. I don't think it was just my driving since I was slower everywhere compared to before. Even turn 7 which is a slow 90degree turn in second. No reason to take it easy there since it is only 50ish. Part of the reason I was confused was that at AMP I was faster on the RE-71R's, but again it was cooler then. Either way I had a good time on track and with friends. Also met some cool new people.

Oh and I was instructing again. My student has an M4. He did well, very open minded to suggestions for his driving which is always good for a student. I took him out in the 2 in the afternoon. He was amazed how slow it was on the back straight compared to his, but the first time I hit the brakes hard after the long straight I definitely scared him since I was braking so much later and harder than he could.

I was 2-3 seconds slower than last time. Andy also said he felt his car was slower than usual. I just figured my lap time was down due to the traffic, but now I'm wondering if it was the heat. I don't know about you, but I think I gave more point-bys that day than all my other track days combined. So many fast cars. I also feel going out on track after watching someone being airlifted out may have caused me not to push as hard.

Back