Yakima roof rack issues

Took the tape out to my car tonight. Not positive, but the spread seems to be about 39-3/4 inside to inside (difficult to judge with my powerhound and viper still on) I might still have a yak shop manual around, LMK and I'll dig if you don't have access to the specs.

really random possibility that may be tied into the bar spread issue... but might they be 'too tight' that the metal lip thingy (that points up towards the bar on the inside of the clamp) is actually touching the bar, and thus, not really clamping down on the car? Just thought I'd throw that in as it has happened to me before- ended up actually loosening all around and retightening more evenly. another time I ended up remeasureing the mounting and that worked as well.

Also, random fun fact for anyone that may not have noticed..there are little bumps that, I think, are not so coincidentally placed at the exact point (centered I believe) right underneath where the feet are to go inside the doorframe/side of the roof. Barely noticeable, but a great guide if you take on and pull off the rack a lot and don't want to measure the gap distance, and keep your bars straight.

Poseur said:
Took the tape out to my car tonight. Not positive, but the spread seems to be about 39-3/4 inside to inside (difficult to judge with my powerhound and viper still on) I might still have a yak shop manual around, LMK and I'll dig if you don't have access to the specs.

i still have the measurements, thanks.

scott42 said:
really random possibility that may be tied into the bar spread issue... but might they be 'too tight' that the metal lip thingy (that points up towards the bar on the inside of the clamp) is actually touching the bar, and thus, not really clamping down on the car? Just thought I'd throw that in as it has happened to me before- ended up actually loosening all around and retightening more evenly. another time I ended up remeasureing the mounting and that worked as well.

Also, random fun fact for anyone that may not have noticed..there are little bumps that, I think, are not so coincidentally placed at the exact point (centered I believe) right underneath where the feet are to go inside the doorframe/side of the roof. Barely noticeable, but a great guide if you take on and pull off the rack a lot and don't want to measure the gap distance, and keep your bars straight.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

I just took a permanent marker to the inside door frame for easy reference, but I'm gonna check that out too.

Another thing that noone ever relaly does... Caulking under the edges of your clips does WONDERS... only problem is you have to leave your doors open and let it dry, but this will provide a seal for your weatherstripping so you don't have water/wind leaks. basically you just want it to smoothly transition form clip to doorframe.

10 yr RackDawg vet here (what yakima calls their installer training program)

Back