Yakima roof rack issues

eting_pro5

:
'03 Pro5
Last time I used my Yakima roof rack, the front crossbar repeatedly slipped back 1-2 inches while driving.

I tried tightening the gold screws to tighten the Q-clips and it continued to slip.

Has anyone had this problem or know of a fix?

dont know of a fix, but i was wanting to buy a new rack for the 5 cause i got kayaks. Do you have any pics of it on your car u could post?

You don't need a new rack to haul kayaks. Just get 1 or 2 Thule hullaport racks that attach to the factory racks - they stand kayaks on edge - or just get surfboard/windsurfer pads on the racks to haul 1 with hull down towards roof. I don't have pics of car with them on but it is funny to see people try to figure out what they are if kayaks aren't in them because it makes the car look like it has antlers. Also you can get Xport bike racks that attach to the factory ones. Didn't spend the 500.00 to get yakima's for anything. Xports were about 135.00 for 2 bikes - front wheel off. I think I spent about the same for both kayak racks.

He's right, you don't need a whole Yakima system if you just want to haul kayaks. Of course, that is assuming you have the factory racks.

I use Thule Hullaports on my Yakima rack for my kayak, but they'll work fine on the factory rack and save you at least $200. If you later decide you want a multi-function rack system, the Hullaport will still work, too!

Here are some pics of my rack with the bike mounts. I don't have any with the kayak rack on.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
You don't need a new rack to haul kayaks. Just get 1 or 2 Thule hullaport racks that attach to the factory racks - they stand kayaks on edge - or just get surfboard/windsurfer pads on the racks to haul 1 with hull down towards roof. I don't have pics of car with them on but it is funny to see people try to figure out what they are if kayaks aren't in them because it makes the car look like it has antlers. Also you can get Xport bike racks that attach to the factory ones. Didn't spend the 500.00 to get yakima's for anything. Xports were about 135.00 for 2 bikes - front wheel off. I think I spent about the same for both kayak racks.

Attachments

• SunsetClose.JPG
    SunsetClose.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 229
  • HighSideMill.JPG
    HighSideMill.JPG
    570.5 KB · Views: 283
  • AuthVehicles.JPG
    AuthVehicles.JPG
    679.2 KB · Views: 217
kayaks fit on top of the P5 quite nice......i fit two easily with the stacker.....

There, that's what I'm talkin about in that picture above. Haul 2 like on the yellow car with hullaports & a single like on the other car. I also have an abs aero cargo box for 2 sets of golf clubs or actual cargo & the xport bike racks for on top & the saris bones strap on bike rack for the back if hauling boats at same time & pads/straps for surfboards. All for less than the yakimas. The kayak racks also come in handy for carrying other items. Some of these can even be combined to carry lots at same time.......

you can get two on top of the factory rack and they fit fine...little over-hang, but if they are strapped down, they are going no where.......

i have the thule stacker that gives a little support and allows you to stack the kayaks on their sides......

no pics though.

-R

So, to be the first person to answer the question of the original poster and topic:

I haven't had any trouble with my Yakima slipping. I did have to tighten the rack more than it seemed like I should. Are your towers too far apart on the cross bar? That might keep you from getting the clips tight enough.

Just a thought. ...an on topic thought, at that. ;)

Ha! Thanks for the on topic response.

I wouldn't think the towers are too far apart. I've used it many times before with no problem. I guess they could have shifted over time.

I'm probably just gonna take it all apart and remeasure/rebuild to make sure everything is correct.

Foolish said:
So, to be the first person to answer the question of the original poster and topic:

I haven't had any trouble with my Yakima slipping. I did have to tighten the rack more than it seemed like I should. Are your towers too far apart on the cross bar? That might keep you from getting the clips tight enough.

Just a thought. ...an on topic thought, at that. ;)

eting_pro5 said:
I'm probably just gonna take it all apart and remeasure/rebuild to make sure everything is correct.

Probably your best bet.

This car was harder to fit the rack on than pretty much any car I've put one on, and for no really clear reason. I've put Q-towers on 4 of my own cars, and many cars for customers at the bike shops I used to work at. I think the only one more awkward to fit was a Mazda 3 wagon, oddly enough.

Hy8us said:
dont know of a fix, but i was wanting to buy a new rack for the 5 cause i got kayaks. Do you have any pics of it on your car u could post?

Sorry i didnt mean to hijack the thread (jacked)

My yakima holds just fine, and I had no trouble getting it on there. I was rather meticulous with measuring and mounting, but no problems yet (had it on for about 2 weeks). Anyway, hope yours gets worked out.

Topic was roof racks. Nobody strayed. Racks that cost as that much should be problem free. Obvious answer was tighten them up. I was answering the 2nd posters question........

Last edited:
sounds like a barspread issue. don't have the specs onme at the moment, but also, the leading edge of your front tower's foot should be 8.5" back form the back part of the windshield strip. TIghtening one ro the other doens't relaly help somuch. the deal is to attemtp to balance the 2 sides. if you look at the tower, there's 2 horizontal divots in the plastic right below your crossobar if both sides are at the right spread and tightened properly, you should see only one of the bars on each side.

I have a Yakima roof rack and I havent had any sliding problems. Yeah I would check your measurements and try and dink around with it some to tighten it up!!

I thought I would post some pics of my P5 with my rack on.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

the tortoise said:
^^^ Damn, that must have been fun!! And maybe a tad scary ^^^
Yeah it was fun!! not too scary cause I am from here and I grew up on that particular lake so I knew that I was going to be ok. Plus the ice was like 1 1/2ft thick.

Pretty sure it's the bar spread. I keep my rack in the back of my car and I do remember the towers being twisted so they were at different angles, which also means one prolly slid sideways along the bar. I'm gonna fix it when I got home for Christmas and have a garage to hang out in.

Poseur said:
sounds like a barspread issue. don't have the specs onme at the moment, but also, the leading edge of your front tower's foot should be 8.5" back form the back part of the windshield strip. TIghtening one ro the other doens't relaly help somuch. the deal is to attemtp to balance the 2 sides. if you look at the tower, there's 2 horizontal divots in the plastic right below your crossobar if both sides are at the right spread and tightened properly, you should see only one of the bars on each side.

the Yakima Universal mounts can be used for almost any type of Yakima racks (bike, ski, storage, kayak). Easy to install and not that expensive with the help of ebay.

Back