Off Topic WSJ: Why Americans Can’t Buy Cheap Chinese EVs as Millions Sell Around the World

Ask yourself.
Should you be buying a product that is heavily subsidized by other countries to hurt our own companies? Buying one actually makes you an accomplice to destroy our own.
That is why I will avoid it whenever I can.

I am for free competition, but I would prefer buying products made in free counties.

If you're saying the physical size is similar, I can't find that data.
For longer range the battery capacity definitely has to be larger, hence 70kW battery on your Tesla and 140kW battery on Zeekr. But the key is how do you pack more cells twice as much into the limited size of battery? And how do you charge the battery so fast without any ill effect? Apparently those major EV and battery manufactures in China have made great leap on these 2 major factors on EV to achieve great range and fast charging. Things we usually ignored are many other nice features been integrated into the EV. The heavy use of 5.5G technology in China not only the driver can control many things outside of the EV itself, but also helps the navigation and parking. One system I saw is you can enter a large parking garage, the system will do everything else to park your EV. You don’t need to worry about finding an empty parking space, and find where your EV parked when you’re ready to leave.

They’re for sure subsidizing. Getting better bang for their buck too from the looks of it vs US subsidies (or US is just years behind vs Chinese market share)

So when Chinese government awarded grant money to those EV and battery manufactures which have been doing great R&D and coming out great products now is “under investigation” by EU with suspicion of government subsidies? The top grant receiving company is Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL) which have received $391M (USD). And the US awarded $2.8B in grants to 20 battery companies just under Biden administration, many more to US EVs for all of these years (remember GM‘s EV1?). And we also have heavy subsidies (rebates and tax deductions) from Federal、States、and even power companies to EV buyers for so many years as you mentioned earlier. I can see the US EV and battery companies received much more subsidies than Chinese counterparts but with nothing to show for it!

Last edited:
So when Chinese government awarded grant money to those EV and battery manufactures which have been doing great R&D and coming out great products now is “under investigation” by EU with suspicion of government subsidies? The top grant receiving company is Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL) which have received $391M (USD). And the US awarded $2.8B in grants to 20 battery companies just under Biden administration, many more to US EVs for all of these years (remember GM‘s EV1?). And we also have heavy subsidies (rebates and tax deductions) from Federal、States、and even power companies to EV buyers for so many years as you mentioned earlier. I can see the US EV and battery companies received much more subsidies than Chinese counterparts but with nothing to show for if!
From my 100 ft high view, that sums up my thoughts as well.
Ask yourself.
Should you be buying a product that is heavily subsidized by other countries to hurt our own companies? Buying one actually makes you an accomplice to destroy our own.

I am for free competition, but I would prefer buying products made in free counties.
I hear you. I felt the same way buying domestic when I got my first new car in 2012. Buy American! Man that bit me quality wise (lemon law and lawyer). And shocker, that automaker no longer makes “sedans” anymore. That pushed me to Toyota and Mazda after that fiasco. I primarily base my big purchase decisions now on quality, warranty and reputation.

Ask yourself.
Read previous discussions and you’d found the US EVs actually have received more subsidies for much longer time, where are they now? Even if you buy a GM EV Chevy Bolt, it actually is based on Daewoo from Korea.

Free competitions is good for the entire world. You do your best on your part, to produce the best product with minimum cost. Protectionism can never be good for everybody. Sure you can buy products only from “free countries”. You actually imply China is not a “free country“ and you aren’t going to buy a Chinese EV. I can tell you’ve never been in China and you’d have made such assumption. Actually Chinese is as free as they can be nowadays which is totally different from 30 years ago. The political system is different from the US (sorry have to be a bit political here) but their system now is the best for the entire 1.4B people there, proved by great economy development and advanced infrastructures. If China covered into the US style political system, I can see the gridlocks at so many levels everywhere with so many people with different opinions. Nothing can be done.

By the way, you remember Vietnam War right? They still is a communist country like China but we buy their products without hesitation even sent ships and carriers to visit Vietnam. We encourage US companies moving out of China to India (Apple etc.), but do you know hierarchy system for people there is so “unfree”, once you were unfortunately born in a “lower class family“ you got stuck in that class for all your life! We consider Saudi Arabia one of the best allies and we buy oil from them wherever we need it. But the political system (or political freedom) there is even worse than China,

Double standard?

I wouldn’t trust one, heck I don’t trust even American made ev’s, and have no desire to switch to electric. EV just feels soulless

I wouldn’t trust one, heck I don’t trust even American made ev’s,
American made EVs? Name one ⋯

and have no desire to switch to electric. EV just feels soulless
Yes, you may have no desire to switch to an EV (same with me), but you have no choice but to switch to electric by 2035! 😳

Last edited:
American made EVs? Name one ⋯

Yes, you may have no desire to switch to an EV (same with me), but you have no choice but to switch to electric by 2035! 😳
Ford makes em, so does GM and “Chrysler”, Tesla is considered American lol.
I’ll just keep rebuilding my current one. Even here in Cali a lot of people are saying f no lol. Hybrid maybe if the tech matures further. But heck this state can’t even handle air conditioners, let alone electric cars. Total electric everything right now is a pipe dream. Illogical and not feasible in the slightest

As a 2 Volvo owner, I still try to buy anything but Chinese made stuff in general. I'm all for a global economy because I think we can still compete globally in many areas. But I absolutely check labels and have zero issue paying a few more dollars for something Made In America. My S60 was built in South Carolina.
Not to even mention I think Volvo's newest electric thing, the EX30, is hideous. No offense Volvo. :D

and have no desire to switch to electric. EV just feels soulless
Feels "soulless"? It's clear you have never driven one. My '21 Ford pickup will be the last ICE purchased by me. We just went to test drive a tesla, because we wanted to see what EV's were all about. After the first minute my wallet was sorry I did. We bought one soon after.

Feels "soulless"? It's clear you have never driven one. My '21 Ford pickup will be the last ICE purchased by me. We just went to test drive a tesla, because we wanted to see what EV's were all about. After the first minute my wallet was sorry I did. We bought one soon after.
I agree. I wasn't a big fan of ev but I got one soon after my test drive. Not for "green" reason, not 100% for efficiency reason but I found it to be fun. The instant torque and the handling characteristics (low center of gravity). Not sure what "soul" is but I enjoy driving it so that's what matters I guess

I did drive my brother’s Chevy Bolt several times and it’s definitely "soulless" in term of traditional drive feels with ICE and manual (or step auto) transmission we all get used to. If you like EV, you definitely don’t care the 1-speed transmission on all EVs. And you should also don’t mind to drive a CVT on ICE vehicles.

Last edited:
As a 2 Volvo owner, I still try to buy anything but Chinese made stuff in general. I'm all for a global economy because I think we can still compete globally in many areas. But I absolutely check labels and have zero issue paying a few more dollars for something Made In America. My S60 was built in South Carolina.
Not to even mention I think Volvo's newest electric thing, the EX30, is hideous. No offense Volvo. :D
Do you own an iPhone?

Buying America is a good thing but those top exclusives are taking advantage of cheaper and quality labor in China since 15 or 20 years ago and moved most manufacturing plants to China. They have been making big profits out of it, as for example they can have more than 50% of profits on Apple iPhone while those who make the most efforts on parts manufacturing、assembling in China get the rest. You should blame these greedy top executives, not China.

While your Volvo S60 is assembled in South Carolina, but you really don’t know how much the Chinese Geely Automobile has involved to that US plant including money.

I did drive my brother Chevy Bolt several times and it’s definitely "soulless" in term of traditional drive feels with ICE and manual (or step auto) transmission we all get used to. If you like EV, you definitely don’t care the 1-speed transmission on all EVs. And you should also don’t mind to drive a CVT on ICE vehicles.
Ok, I never had a desire to drive a Bolt, so I'll give you that. The thing with most other EV's is the endless torque. At any speed, you just hit the pedal and go. No lag, no downshifting, it just takes off. That is the opposite of what I would consider "soulless".

Do you own an iPhone?

Buying America is a good thing but those top exclusives are taking advantage of cheaper and quality labor in China since 15 or 20 years ago and moved most manufacturing plants to China. They have been making big profits out of it, as for example they can have more than 50% of profits on Apple iPhone while those who make the most efforts on parts manufacturing、assembling in China get the rest. You should blame these greedy top executives, not China.

While your Volvo S60 is assembled in South Carolina, but you really don’t know how much the Chinese Geely Automobile has involved to that US plant including money.
Pixel 7 Pro built in Vietnam.
Disappointed you'd think I'd have an iPhone. LOL
I know Geely has sunk money into that plant. Of course they have. But American workers put my car together. And Swedish workers built my other Volvo. I'm ok with some of my money going to China because some of it lands here or in Canada or in Belgium. Many design decisions are still. Made in Sweden. If it was 100% built and designed inChina? I (probably) wouldn't own it.
Won't buy the EX30. As it's (probably)all Chinese... But it's ugly AF to me. And we all know by now aesthetics are pretty important to me
🤣

Ford makes em, so does GM and “Chrysler”, Tesla is considered American lol.
Those EVs from US “Big 3” could be from Korea or Europe. My brother’s Chevy Bolt is from Korea by Daewoo, and I saw many labels in the car with Korean characters. Oh I almost forgot the major EV player the Tesla is a US company. It’s largest assembly plant is in Shanghai, China, and they’re losing the market share in there after they’re the no. 1 EV seller for many years. Big price drop in China by Tesla hasn’t helped either as the Chinese EV competitors have been coming out very nice EVs.

BTW, Tesla uses CATL EV battery in China but not the best one with the longest range and fastest charging.

I’ll just keep rebuilding my current one. Even here in Cali a lot of people are saying f no lol. Hybrid maybe if the tech matures further. But heck this state can’t even handle air conditioners, let alone electric cars. Total electric everything right now is a pipe dream. Illogical and not feasible in the slightest
I’ve been visiting California and the Bay Area quite often since 1980’s after my brother moved to there from Dallas. I witnessed the Bay Area which was the BEST place to live and work, to current situation with encampment everywhere. The infrastructure on highway is the same as in 1980’s after 40 years of “progress”. Building the “Express Lane” collecting tolls with existing highway lane but not adding extra lanes is ridiculous to solve the traffic situation. No wonder the highway is so crowded in recent years! Now I heard the State will be installing speeding camera to solve the traffic situation, WoW! :rolleyes:

Yeah the total electric vehicle by 2035 in the State of California is indeed a pipe dream IMO. There have to be charging stations everywhere with standardized plug (there’re very few right now), and the power companies in CA have to prepare enough capacity (they don’t even have enough power produced right now) to supply all of those added new EVs! The infrastructure for total electric is lacking and it’s highly doubtful the State can build these necessary infrastructure and power plants in next 12 years.

Alright guys, some nice healthy discussion going on but let's please keep it about the topic of EVs going forward. Thanks

BYD is not yet selling in North America...but close to beating Tesla. I've read that they will be building a plant in Mexico possibly for our market. In the old days, Europe was competing with American car manufacturers, then Japan, Korea, India, China, Vietnam...Who's next?

Back