Off Topic WSJ: Why Americans Can’t Buy Cheap Chinese EVs as Millions Sell Around the World

"Cheap Chinese" is not something that sounds very appealing to me. :)
Well, WSJ is an American journal and they follow the current anti-China atmosphere here trying to talk down the Chinese products. Do you want a new iPhone from China or India? Do you like Volvo’s Polestar, a luxury EV brand owned by Chinese automaker Geely? In fact even Tesla who has its largest manufacture plant in Shanghai couldn’t compete the BYD and many other EV manufactures in China this year. You’d be surprised how luxurious the top of line of BYD is, with many nice features we have never seen in the US. Even Toyota CEO was impressed on those Chinese EVs when he saw them in recent Tokyo Auto Show.

Not getting into political here, but I simply believe shutting the door to prevent cheap and nice Chinese EVs here isn’t good to US consumers. Blocking Ford’s joint venture with Chinese EV battery maker Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited, CATL, to build advanced EV batteries in the US isn’t a smart move by Congress either.

Not sure how we got from ev to murder but I do question the quality of their products
I don’t know how either ⋯ :unsure:

You can check out Volvo’s Polestar luxury EV here in the US and see if you like the quality. Geely is the #3 EV makers in China.

With the range above 1,000 km / 621.37 miles from each charge, and “1 second for 1 km”charging speed capability, these EVs look really close to be a car I can consider for my next purchase.

“The U9 costs $137,000 at current exchange rates but the least expensive Hyper SSR comes in at $176,000 and needs 2.3 seconds to reach 62 mph. Hyper does sell a more extreme version of the SSR that can get there in 1.9 seconds, but that will set you back at least $190,000.”

Motor Trend: Watch This Electric Chinese Supercar Jump in Place and... Drive With Only Three Wheels

03C40B1A-AFD0-462C-AB96-CE7FFED9B1E9.jpeg

Please stay on topic guys, political discussion of any kind is prohibited here, for obvious reasons. Thread cleaned up.

With the range above 1,000 km / 621.37 miles from each charge, and “1 second for 1 km”charging speed capability, these EVs look really close to be a car I can consider for my next purchase.
Do you have a link to the above? THIS is all I could find, but it seems more like hype than reality at this point.

Please stay on topic guys, political discussion of any kind is prohibited here, for obvious reasons. Thread cleaned up.
Thank you (y)

This is one of the very few places where none of that $hit exists, and it's great to know that won't be changing any time soon.

I do like how quick their innovations are and how quick they can adapt and evolve. However, they are known to take short cuts and lack of enforcement of regulations. Do you really think they can pump out this quantity at this speed while maintaining the quality (specifically safety)? Maybe but I'm not interested in finding out with my family's lives.

I do like how quick their innovations are and how quick they can adapt and evolve. However, they are known to take short cuts and lack of enforcement of regulations. Do you really think they can pump out this quantity at this speed while maintaining the quality (specifically safety)? Maybe but I'm not interested in finding out with my family's lives.
You don’t have to risk your family’s lives. If US opens up the “fortress” blocking Chinese EVs, they have to meet the US safety standards to get here just like European、Japanese、Korean vehicles when they started importing here many years ago.

Like I said before, the quality of Chinese products has been improved drastically in recent years IMO. Very few “cheap” Chinese tools I got from Harbor Freight disappointed me. iPhone quality is another example. And China hasn’t lost any astronauts on space missions so far sending people to its own space station that should also speak well to its quality on safety.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the above? THIS is all I could find, but it seems more like hype than reality at this point.
See other threads I started in this Lounge. No it isn’t the hype, and millions of Chinese EVs have exported worldwide other than the US this year. In fact, China has surpass Japan and becomes the no. 1 car exporting country in the world this year. Since we can’t see it here in person, we don’t know how good the Chinese EVs is with very reasonable price.

See other threads I started in this Lounge. No it isn’t the hype, and millions of Chinese EVs have exported worldwide other than the US this year. In fact, China has surpass Japan and becomes the no. 1 car exporting country in the world this year. Since we can’t see it here in person, we don’t know how good the Chinese EVs is with very reasonable price.
Sorry, I think you missed what I was asking. I was referring to your range statement. From the link I provided, it shows that doubling the battery size will double the range. That's not really anything earth shattering. I assumed you had something more substantial to back yourself up.

I think you have me labeled wrong. I have nothing against Chinese companies. I actually work for one. My earlier comment was just a reaction to the thread title, and not meant as anything else. I currently own a Tesla, but would welcome a strong contender from anywhere. I really wasn't thrilled propping up Muskrats bottom line, but there's no real competition in that $50k price point right now.

You don’t have to risk your family’s lives. If US opens up the “fortress” blocking Chinese EVs, they have to meet the US safety standards to get here just like European、Japanese、Korean vehicles when they started importing here many years ago.

Like I said before, the quality of Chinese products has been improved drastically in recent years IMO. Very few “cheap” Chinese tools I got from Harbor Freight disappointed me. iPhone quality is another example. And China hasn’t lost any astronauts on space missions so far sending people to its own space station that should also speak well to its quality on safety.
I’m finding this to be the case also. I had the opportunity a year and a half ago to purchase a domestic vs Chinese HVAC system for my home. My experience with domestic systems has been spotty quality with expensive fixes. I chose the Chinese HVAC system that was the same price as the domestically made one, but has a 12 year parts AND labor warranty. The units are running flawlessly.

I do get both sides of the issue though. Cheap EVs are great for the consumer, but could hurt the domestic workforce. China may subside their supply chain, but honestly the US has been subsidizing EVs for years (at the point of purchase vs upstream in manufacturing). We’re now awarding grant money for things like battery development to stay competitive.

Toyota and Honda seem to have found the happy medium opening plants and hiring US workers, not sure if Chinese automakers can pay the same rates. If they do, have to look at accounting. Would their manufacturing funding be coming from the Chinese government to artificially undercut competitive pricing, force other players out of the market, and then the price gets jacked up after market share is acquired?

Sorry, I think you missed what I was asking. I was referring to your range statement. From the link I provided, it shows that doubling the battery size will double the range. That's not really anything earth shattering. I assumed you had something more substantial to back yourself up.

I think you have me labeled wrong. I have nothing against Chinese companies. I actually work for one. My earlier comment was just a reaction to the thread title, and not meant as anything else. I currently own a Tesla, but would welcome a strong contender from anywhere. I really wasn't thrilled propping up Muskrats bottom line, but there's no real competition in that $50k price point right now.
Here is an example of 2023 Zeekr 001, an EV from Chinese auto maker Geely, reportedly is capable of 641-mile range on a single charge.

This Chinese-made EV can travel 640 miles on a single charge — beating its closest American competitor by more than 100 miles

The break-through is on EV battery design which packed more energy for higher density into same sized battery, not just adding the size and weight for longer range. That’s why Ford is looking for Congress approval to form a joint venture with the largest Chinese EV battery maker CATL where the latest CTP (Cell to Pack) 3.0 Qilin EV battery can achieve 10-minute fast charging for 1,000 km / 632.37 miles and such battery has been in production and used by many Chinese EV manufactures.

I’m finding this to be the case also. I had the opportunity a year and a half ago to purchase a domestic vs Chinese HVAC system for my home. My experience with domestic systems has been spotty quality with expensive fixes. I chose the Chinese HVAC system that was the same price as the domestically made one, but has a 12 year parts AND labor warranty. The units are running flawlessly.
Same experience but on home HVAC components. The unit blower fan motor and outdoor condenser cooling fan motor on my Rheem HVAC system failed in sequence less than 20 years. I bought aftermarket Chinese made motors for replacement. Both motors out-run original US made motors now (knock on wood) and that’s the quality level on Chinese products more than 20 years ago when nobody thinks made in China would have good quality including me!

I do get both sides of the issue though. Cheap EVs are great for the consumer, but could hurt the domestic workforce. China may subside their supply chain, but honestly the US has been subsidizing EVs for years (at the point of purchase vs upstream in manufacturing). We’re now awarding grant money for things like battery development to stay competitive.
Most large EV companies such as BYD and Geely, as well as the largest EV battery manufacture CTAL are private owned. They’re making good profit as is right now and they don’t need government subsidies. And yes on the other hand US government subsides EV manufactures heavily, but keeps Chinese EVs out of it with higher import duty and many other policies like the WSJ article mentioned.

Not just EVs, US also impose heavy subsidies on semiconductor sector which is totally against its traditional economy policy as the fair trade and has become double standard against foreign countries from its own Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974.

Toyota and Honda seem to have found the happy medium opening plants and hiring US workers, not sure if Chinese automakers can pay the same rates. If they do, have to look at accounting. Would their manufacturing funding be coming from the Chinese government to artificially undercut competitive pricing, force other players out of the market, and then the price gets jacked up after market share is acquired?
As I said, I have never heard the Chinese government subsides those private owned Chinese EV and EV battery manufactures.

As I said, I have never heard the Chinese government subsides those private owned Chinese EV and EV battery manufactures

They’re for sure subsidizing. Getting better bang for their buck too from the looks of it vs US subsidies (or US is just years behind vs Chinese market share)

Here is an example of 2023 Zeekr 001, an EV from Chinese auto maker Geely, reportedly is capable of 641-mile range on a single charge.

This Chinese-made EV can travel 640 miles on a single charge — beating its closest American competitor by more than 100 miles

The break-through is on EV battery design which packed more energy for higher density into same sized battery, not just adding the size and weight for longer range. That’s why Ford is looking for Congress approval to form a joint venture with the largest Chinese EV battery maker CATL where the latest CTP (Cell to Pack) 3.0 Qilin EV battery can achieve 10-minute fast charging for 1,000 km / 632.37 miles and such battery has been in production and used by many Chinese EV manufactures.
If you look, it really is doubling the battery, though. My Y has a 70kW battery and range is advertised up to 330mi. The Zeekr has a 140kW battery, so exactly double.

1701314331636.png

Latest posts

Back