Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK... didn't mean to spark off a ford vs. mazda debate.. lets stay with the mz2 guys..

Only way to do that is to not mention the word.

Is the Mazda 2 released in the US yet, and if so which engines are offered?

there already out. at least around here in IL. they have been around for over a month now. i dig them. much nicer design then the fiesta. even though the fiesta looks pretty hot too.

heres my question. why did the mazda2 get the dinky motor, and shittier trans, when the fiesta got the bigger motor, and 6sp trans?

there already out. at least around here in IL. they have been around for over a month now. i dig them. much nicer design then the fiesta. even though the fiesta looks pretty hot too.

heres my question. why did the mazda2 get the dinky motor, and shittier trans, when the fiesta got the bigger motor, and 6sp trans?

i LOL'd hard i havent seen someone use the word in a long long time, but i have to agree, should be a 2.0

I would definitely have checked one out, that sounds like a lot of fun. Pragmatically, having bought a mazda3 s sport two days ago, I'm not planning on buying again soon.

are we talking a turbo 2 or just a sports tuned 2? If turbo or SC then I would buy it. If not then its pointless. Even with the Speed3 you still have to change out suspension, intercooler, computer, and even some computer and fueling parts to make a great track car out of it. It would be a waste of money to pay for something to start off with more stuff that you will change anyways. Thats why I never got NISMO, Type R, or R3 packages. Why all the extra money when you are gonna swap it out anyways.

It's coming soon... with the 1.5L and 4AT or 5MT

I would think that the 1,5L engine is quite bearable, a lot better then the engines in the first generation. Here in Europe it's offered with two 1,3L engines, the 1,5L and a 1,6L CD (Commonrail Diesel) Engine. Not sure if we can get automatic though. (But I for one don't care)

yes and while your at it bring back the ms6

please?

Just rumors as of now, and old one at that, but I think they will: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/30/mazda2-mps-and-280-hp-mazda6-mps-on-their-way/

+1
and 280 is too much because they won't want it to compete with the ms3 sales.
I think 180-200 hp however it comes, turbo or NA or supercharger + good handling is all I need.

+1
and 280 is too much because they won't want it to compete with the ms3 sales.
I think 180-200 hp however it comes, turbo or NA or supercharger + good handling is all I need.
The 280 figure in that article was in regards to the 6 MPS, not the 2 MPS. They guessed at 170hp for the speed 2.

I'd love to see them make one. Whether or not I'd purchase would definitely be up to price, options, etc.

But if I had to choose any of the Mazda lineup for the next Speed car, I'd want to see another Mazdaspeed Miata. Maybe with the MS3 engine or something similar :)

I'd buy that car in 2 seconds.

And what's with all the Ford hate? Some of us here have Proteges with Ford badges on them, y'know. :D

RE: the 1.5: Actually a good little engine. Not great in terms of top-end, but that can be fixed.

Not sure if you guys got the same car over in the States - but here in Oz, Ford shoe-horned an MZR 2.0L into the previous shape (boxy) Fiesta and called it an XR4. The XR brand is the Ford equivalent of Mazdaspeed. Seeing as Ford has already done this, I think that the Mazdaspeed 2 should be small capacity Forced Induction engine.

I would love to see a supercharged version of the Mazda 2. I think that this would truly set it apart from any other car. It could be clutched so that it only activates at WOT, and would allow overall fuel consumption to be reasonable. I think that an LSD would definitely be a requirement in this case.

It would be great to see this come to life!(thumb)

4 words...Affordable, Light, Nimble & Quick...Just like the OG Miata but more practical & with more power...Would love some boost but at the desired price range ($16k ~ $18k), a 1.8L ~ 2.0L engine with 160hp ~ 180hp would do just fine OR if possible...Develop a supercharged 1.5L especially for the MS2..;)

We have to keep in mind Mazda's point of view as well...I heard they would need to sell at least 10K to 25k+ to make the MS2 a viable business proposition...So a forged motor & awd is simply not realistic if you think about it...Now for the MS3, bring it on but the MS2 has to provide the perfect balance of high performance & great affordability...:D

Unfortunately, a bigger displacement engine is no longer an option in these "green times". An MS2 will most likely be based on a turbocharged 1.5 liter SKY.

If the Mazdaspeed2 gets a turbocharged 2 liter and a host of other upgrades, we'll end up with the Mazda equivalent of the 135i. Just slightly cheaper than the 335i, providing a little more performance and a lot less space.

If we didn't have the need for "green" marketing, Mazda could just shove a 2 liter MZR into the engine bay with around 160-170 hp (MX5 cams, pistons and forged rods) and sell it for under 20k... or even a 150-160 hp 2 liter from a Mazda3 and keep it way under the 18k range, even with an LSD and a better suspension (which will be down to a better rear anti-roll bar and brakes).

A 150-160 hp Mazda2 would be well within the 7-second-to-60 range. More than enough for a cheap toy car.

Then offer the Mazdaspeed kits with a turbo for additional money... this allows them to have the bigger volumes afforded by a cheaper Mazdaspeed while still giving people the chance of owning a little turbocharged monster if they want it.

I wouldn't complain about either one but for this car I think I'd prefer the S/C for its linear power delivery and aural characteristics...

Back