Why do parts fail less than 2,000 miles out of warranty?

Things break just out of warranty on all types of cars, not just MSPs. I manage a shop and see it all the time. Customers are always pissed because the dealer tries to rape them, then they come to us. Warranties are limited to a specific mileage for a reason, because tests show parts are more likely to start failing after the specified mileage (sooner if abused). Why do you guys think they limited the warranty to 50,000 miles and put so many "abuse" clauses in the warranty?

The most logical answer is:

To boost sales by giving vehicle purchasers a sense of security for the first few years of owning the vehicle, while still minimizing costs associated with warranty repairs.

I know it still sucks, but that is reality.

Well, I have a service appt scheduled monday morning at 1030... They said it would be 89 bucks to run a diagnostic test, and we could go from there. Ugh...

Well, I have a service appt scheduled monday morning at 1030... They said it would be 89 bucks to run a diagnostic test, and we could go from there. Ugh...
Dude..Screw that..go to Advanced and let them run an alternator load test and battery test for free...Dont waste your money or time with the dealer.

Dude..Screw that..go to Advanced and let them run an alternator load test and battery test for free...Dont waste your money or time with the dealer.

Makes sense to me, why pay for the test when you ca get it for free?

Well, I already KNOW its the alternator from testing it at home with a volt meter, and the alternator is NOT putting out voltage. I worked at AutoZone for a year so I'm on top of things like that.

However, the girl who I talked to on the phone when scheduling the appt was the one who mentioned the "diagnostic test" and that it would be $89. I'm just going to head over there, talk to the service manager, and see what they can do about it.

Picked my car up this morning. $106 bucks to replace the alternator, parts and labor included. Not too bad really, and the dealer did give me a pretty good deal I guess.

Cheaper than buying one myself, and without hassling with the install in my garage. Now I get to go out and enjoy my new BFG g-sports. :)

Back