Which mazda 3?

Hey all,

I am always in the protege section, so don't come see Mazda 3s too often :p

So my mom is buying a 2006 Mazda 3 and has a choice between 2 cars.

Both are white hatches:

1. $3300
- rust on quarters, trunk, hood, rockers, some underbody rust. Nothing perforated, but paint matching won't be a fun job.
- A/C not working
- Fully loaded package, leathers w/heated seats, etc.
- 190,000km (~120k miles)

2. $4000
- NO rust
- Everything works
- base model (cloth interior)
- 224,000km (~140k miles)

I am not familiar with the 3s, but I am very familiar with rust and would hands down choose option 2, but my mom really values the better package and lower price, lower mileage is a perk too.

My Questions:

1. Do all 1st gen Mazda 3s come with the wiring for heated seats, or do the different models have different wiring harnesses?

2. What do you guys think regarding our options?

Basred upon your description of #1, I'd be wary about the suspension and undercarriage being safe. Personally, I'd be more interested in #2.

Having seen some pictures of your "Normal" rust up there, it makes me cringe... I can not imagine trying to work on those rusty vehicles.

Opt 2 sounds better from the description. But perhaps you can look longer, or more south... Is there a reason to limit it to that particular year?

Turns out the dealer who was selling for $4000 was covering up rust with paint, I could see it, but someone less knowledgeable will not. Damn thieves. And now we missed out on the $3300 deal.

What can you guys tell me about swapping seats though?

I have no clue about seat swapping, but find the extra $500-$1000 and buy something in better condition. Both deals sound mediocre at best.

Back