CX-5 Rear brake pads Made in China?

:
2016 CX-5
Strange, I have always used OEM pads not the MV (value version) but the original types that came with the CX-5 part number KAY0-26-48Z. And it's always been Made in Japan. Now I see some are Made in China. is this legit and Mazda transferred manufacturing to China ? not saying it's bad but I just think it's better quality coming from Japan.

pads.jpg

Japanese more than likely will be better quality, but it could very well be issues with parts, the factory, shipping, and more, though, if the Japanese transfer production anywhere else, they are usually rather strict in regulating quality, especially for an OEM part.

There are a lot of fake parts with OE labels on them/boxes.
Where did you acquire this part from?

When it comes to my health (foods) and safety, I avoid stuff made in certain parts of the world. For shoes, I don't mind. ;)

There are a lot of fake parts with OE labels on them/boxes.
Where did you acquire this part from?
IMO counterfeit parts wouldn’t bother to change “Made in Japan” wording on the label to “Made in China”.

Strange, I have always used OEM pads not the MV (value version) but the original types that came with the CX-5 part number KAY0-26-48Z. And it's always been Made in Japan. Now I see some are Made in China. is this legit and Mazda transferred manufacturing to China ? not saying it's bad but I just think it's better quality coming from Japan.

View attachment 328272
Found the old OEM brake pads part labels here in your old thread:

AF787C5C-AC37-4504-8D26-4DD95490C302.jpeg

loud metal clunking sound when braking

just a heads up you guys, I didn't properly align the caliper notch with the pin on the rear pads and got a loud metal clunking sound when braking.

I disassembled the brakes and found out what I did wrong, I didn't do the slight adjustment to line the caliper notch with the pad pin..

Is there a visual mark of where the notches have to be ? It's a blind mate when the caliper goes over the pads so there's no visual to make sure they are exactly lined up... thoughts ?

attachment.php

Sidenote: I find the OEM brake pads (the ones made from Japan, not the Mazda Value ones) to be the best in stopping power,
I tried the Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic pads , although they were quiet, I found them to have very subpar stopping power and they felt mushy when braking hard

Mazda 2016 CX-5 front pads (Made in Japan) K0Y1-33-28ZA
Mazda 2016 CX-5 rear pads (Made in Japan) KAY0-26-48Z

attachment.php

Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much about the change of origin on Mazda OEM parts from Japan to China. It’s like Mazda OEM oil filters on parts supply which started from Japan then changed to Thailand in the US. MNAO must find out the Mazda OEM parts made in China is cheaper than from Japan, and imported into the US for US customers who most likely don’t care where they’re made.

Mazda has several assembly plants in China, and the OE suppliers there should meet Mazda’s quality requirements. Even if the same part from Japan may have a bit better quality than from China, the difference should be very minimum.

I’ve gradually adjusted my mindset and accepted the products from China where the quality is getting much better and the price is still low enough even the trade war is going on. I have no hesitation getting tools from Harbor Freight Tools nowadays for much cheaper price with good enough quality most of time. I definitely want an iPhone from China but not from India. Both me and my wife now the frequent shopper on Temu and AliExpress for high C/P value goods just to save some money under current high inflation environment and most of time the products received didn’t disappoint us.

My CX-5 came with Akebono pads (where Akebono is OEM supplier to different automotive manufacturers). And the Mazda replacement rear pads I bought for my first rear change were made in Japan and also made by Akebono. And Akebono does have manufacturing in China . Just look for "AK" stamped on the edge of the pads. I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality if it's from Mazda and not the MV line.

Personally never understand why people think things made in Japan are better then things made...literally anywhere else.
They have a better work ethic? Yea, ok. I know UAW members and they are hard working people who take pride in their work. Japanese cars weren't better in the 80's because the Japanese built them.
The Mazda's made in Alabama or the Honda's made in Ohio are not less well built...

Mine all said they were made in Japan and from Mazdaswag

IMG_2281.jpeg

I think it comes down to the management of the factories although I have seen some subjective comparisons especially of Toyota models that showed better tolerances on the Japanese built models versus those in US and Canada.

Mine all said they were made in Japan and from Mazdaswag

View attachment 328390

I think it comes down to the management of the factories although I have seen some subjective comparisons especially of Toyota models that showed better tolerances on the Japanese built models versus those in US and Canada.
Are these a recent purchase?

All parts were purchased in February.

Front rotors were K011-33-251B

Same boxes as these

s-l1600.webp
Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 6.24.08 AM.png

All parts were purchased in February.

Front rotors were K011-33-251B

Same boxes as these

s-l1600.webp
View attachment 328396
It seems the OEM rear brake pads you’ve got is the latest revision KAY0-26-48ZD which is made in Japan, but the picture posted by OP is KAY0-26-48ZA which is an older revision and made in China. Of course the original version, KAY0-26-48Z in picture I posted is made in Japan.

Back