Where is the fuel filter on my 2002 Protege5?

goin2mlb2

Here's the deal. I seemed to have picked up some water in my fuel from a local gas station. Obviously not a good thing. Ive drained the tank more than once. But still, when going up a hill (water is heavier, slides closer to pick up) the engine misses b/c of water. Its a very distinct feeling if you've never experienced it. Anyways, i figure the filter is probably shot, or full or whatever you call it. So i'll replace it right, but can't find it. Where is it?

Yeah changing the fuel filter in a Protege is a fun project...lol. Like mentioned above you have to remove the metal cover on the floor. Then you have to pull the fuel pump/strainer/filter assembly out of the tank. It's a big hassle if you don't know what you are doing.

goin2mlb2 said:
Here's the deal. I seemed to have picked up some water in my fuel from a local gas station. Obviously not a good thing. Ive drained the tank more than once. But still, when going up a hill (water is heavier, slides closer to pick up) the engine misses b/c of water. Its a very distinct feeling if you've never experienced it. Anyways, i figure the filter is probably shot, or full or whatever you call it. So i'll replace it right, but can't find it. Where is it?

There's no way you should pay for this. Get the dealer to pay under warranty or get the gas company to pay for it.

Add a inline fuel filter before you fuel rail. Pep boys and advance have them.

Does anybody know how often this in tank filter should be changed, how much they are, and do you have to take the fuel tank off?

Back