What makes you a good driver?

zach21087

:
MS6
Hey everyone. Well lately i have been reading a lot of threads and posts about racing and that most people seem to agree that it comes down to the driver. So i was wandering what actually makes you a good driver. My MS6 is my first manual and i think im a good driver.

Sometimes though i think maybe im not a good driver. Maybe im totally confused. I think i shift good but is there more to it than that?

The reason i bring this up is because there is this kid at work who talks a ridiculus amount of crap and i was wandering if i could beat him. Hes in a 06 WRX 2.5l not the STi. His claim is that he would smoke me blah blah blah, His car is sitting on a blow off valve and thats it. So what do you guys think.

I would love to just wipe the carpet with this guy.

Any info would be appreciated.

There is no substitute for seat time. Having said that if you are only talking about a "drag race" I must first suggest that you do it on an approved race track then I would tell you that practice makes perfect.

The hardest part of a drag race is the launch, not enough gas and release the clutch too fast and the car won't go, do it the other way and you could destroy your clutch/trans/rear diff., well you get the picture.

As far as how to launch it will be slightly different depending on where you live (Denver with thin air vs. Miami sea level).

I live in Michigan about 600ft above sea level and I launch my car by reving to ~3800rpm and slipping the clutch a little, about 1 to 1.5 seconds. I made 4 runs in about 15 minutes one day and on the last run I smelled clutch so I stopped. I did run a 13.86 on my last run though. With a CAI.

After that I would suggest you practice shifting quick, not fast but smooth and fluid, if you try to just "bang gears" in this car it tends to stick a little and you end up not being able to get it into gear, this is bad. :(

I can't stress this enough you just need to practice and get a good feel for the car before you try to spank any subies. :)

Good luck and welcome to the Mazda Forums and the MS6 Community, we'll all be rooting for you.(yippy)

Not crashing? And smoke might be the wrong word, but he should win that race. Assuming you are completely stock. But hey, at least your car looks better right?

1killercls said:
I went here about ten years ago when I lived in Phoenix. I attended the FWD class because I wanted to be competitive in my CRX Solo Car.

http://www.bondurant.com/

Good idea I didn't think about attendind a driving school. There are quite a few across the country, I sure you can find one close(ish) to where you live zach.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

stock for stock he'll take you quarter mile unless he screws something up. top end you'll take him. i raced a buddy with an 06 2.5 and with a cat back and sri. he took me by about a car going from 1st to 3rd. but top end on the highway from 60 to 100 i was stuck with him, and my car was stock. i believe it was car and driver, they did a test with the ms6 vs the 2.5wrx. they 1/4 mile times and 0-60 the wrx beat it, but every other test the ms6 walked, slalom, g-force, top end, braking, etc.

Just remember this,

"Drag racing is for fast cars but, Autocross is for fast drivers."

I know I'll catch a lot of flack over that statement but you should be most concerned about improving your overall driving skills not just the 1/4 type. :D
1/4 mile skill have their place but knowing how to handle your car in a panic situation is far better than knowing how to launch and power shift it properly....on a day to day basis anyway.

I'm actually suprised that everyone is saying a base WRX could beat an MS6 stock for stock. I thought it was close to a 50 HP difference between the 2 in favor of the MS6.

I've run, from a roll, with my buddy's '06 STi and we were almost neck and neck thru 100mph. At that point my front end was by his rear door. I had my CAI and his was stock. I think with a proper launch from a dead dig the MS6 could take a WRX.

I understand that this is just one magazines numbers and the ones for the MS6 are wrong(estimated), but the numbers for the STi are just the same as everyone else's so the WRX might be close.

Mazdaspeed6

WRX

STi

TheDutchGun said:
I'm actually suprised that everyone is saying a base WRX could beat an MS6 stock for stock. I thought it was close to a 50 HP difference between the 2 in favor of the MS6.

It all comes down to how much HP is available and how long it is available. Not to mention the WRX weights like ~300 lbs less than the MS6.

I've seen a 450HP car outrun a 500HP car because it was tuned to have a wider powerband. Don't get me wrong I think the MS6 should win too but high HP numbers aren't the end all be all for 1/4 mile speed measurement....that's what the trap time is for. :D

(first)MS6 FTW(first)

jdub260 said:

no flack from me, best statement there is. lol, if you wanna prove that wrx driver wrong race him on an autocross course. because numbers are in great favor with the ms6. occasionally the straight line or highway run comes up but autocross is the best style of driving and helps you improve alot, even if you think your the sh*t and the best driver in the world. usually they have a driving school too with autocross clubs, like sccnh.

Wow thanks for all the info guys. Driving school would be cool. I actually did a course twice called Drivers Edge but that had nothing to do with shifting, it was all about accident awareness and controlling oversteer and understeer. Anyway maybe ill look into a driving school dealilng with shifting and poweer shifting. The Las Vegas Speedway is only 15 minutes away im sure they must have something there. Anyway i think im gonna race him pretty soon and ill let you guys know how it turns out. (usa)

TheDutchGun said:

Well there are only 2 kinds of WRX's.. The base and the STi and an STi from a stop is no comparison..

I would also suggest competing in an auto-x event.. It helps you learn your car and its also fun as hell.. I learned that my car has some understeer problems (with the current tires), but hopefully that will change by April 15th..

jdub260 said:
Just remember this,

I know I'll catch a lot of flack over that statement but you should be most concerned about improving your overall driving skills not just the 1/4 type. :D
1/4 mile skill have their place but knowing how to handle your car in a panic situation is far better than knowing how to launch and power shift it properly....on a day to day basis anyway.

Well said. (mswerd)

learn how to drift. its the best advice i can give. at that point you are so sensitive to sound and rpm, that driving regularly you can max out your cars potential. and you get to feel what a REAL LSD feels like, so you can benefit from the RX-8's and MS6's LSD. As far as drag, try to shift about 800 below redline.

You drive an MS6. There is no need to fret over a WRX Sexually Transmitted Infection. I would strive for embarassing Euros. Thats what this car's class is. Leave the embarassing of STi's up to turbo civics. Let the children play together with their wings and scoops.

I'm content with pwning guidos in their Audis. Theres nothing quite like it, i suggest you try it.

you'd think that Bloomin' Onion haircut of theirs would affect their shifting...but then again...they cant drive stick, they're too busy warrantee exchanging their Dolche & Gabanna RAZR phone.

EVO's and WRX's are tacky. Embarassing them is just redundant.

Super Shredder said:
learn how to drift. its the best advice i can give. at that point you are so sensitive to sound and rpm, that driving regularly you can max out your cars potential. and you get to feel what a REAL LSD feels like, so you can benefit from the RX-8's and MS6's LSD. As far as drag, try to shift about 800 below redline.

You drive an MS6. There is no need to fret over a WRX Sexually Transmitted Infection. I would strive for embarassing Euros. Thats what this car's class is. Leave the embarassing of STi's up to turbo civics. Let the children play together with their wings and scoops.

I'm content with pwning guidos in their Audis. Theres nothing quite like it, i suggest you try it.

you'd think that Bloomin' Onion haircut of theirs would affect their shifting...but then again...they cant drive stick, they're too busy warrantee exchanging their Dolche & Gabanna RAZR phone.

EVO's and WRX's are tacky. Embarassing them is just redundant.

Strong words. I'll have to agree on the Audis though. Previous generation S4 owners I find seem to have something to prove all the time.

2001 audi s4 was my first test drive funny enough, i test drove it it was real nice outside and in, but the check engine light was on, i asked the dealer to fix it at audi and they refused. because they knew that any audi over 60,000miles is most likely so messed up, that it would take 8,000$ to bring it back to life. those computers in audis are RETARDED.

diverter valves are pretty much also the only thing you can do to it if its used if you wouldn't rather just buy a new audi. upgrading the turbos at 80,000k will blow your car up. and for twin turbos... <--- just those dots thats all the recognition it gets

Back