What is the best Piggyback ECU to use for tuning? Dastek Unichip?

ANOTHER THING! Im not trying to make a whole lot of power with the turbo right now. maybe btw 6 to 8 pounds of boost. Now my question is. Can I get away Tuning for now with just using a Msp Ecu? I asked a friend and he said that ill be good if i make about 8 pounds of boost with just the msp ecu and that i could get the ssafc later on. But i wanna make sure. I know it might not be safe but can i do that? My budget is kinda tight right now so...Thanks guys!!!

Berto just flash the Ecu to MSP Spec and fine tune for the auto with a SSAFCII, just make a nice safe map and maybe run 6-8 psi... given how crappy our manual transmissions are for abuse, maybe in auto you won't have that problem

Berto just flash the Ecu to MSP Spec and fine tune for the auto with a SSAFCII, just make a nice safe map and maybe run 6-8 psi... given how crappy our manual transmissions are for abuse, maybe in auto you won't have that problem

Umm our transmissions are pretty strong, most people don't break stuff till 350 whp. And coming from a 100 whp car that's pretty damn good

Also 8psi means nothing, what turbo are you going to be runing? 8 psi on a t25 and 8psi on a .50 trim eBay t3/4 are way different

Ice88 can you enlighten me on the microtech being better? I was just looking into megasquirt and about to get it till I read that. I've been wanting to build my own board for awhile now

8 psi on a t25 turbo.
Also 8psi means nothing, what turbo are you going to be runing? 8 psi on a t25 and 8psi on a .50 trim eBay t3/4 are way different

Ice88 can you enlighten me on the microtech being better? I was just looking into megasquirt and about to get it till I read that. I've been wanting to build my own board for awhile now

I'm going to guess timate its a Nissan turbo. Should be fine with msp Ecu and 8psi assuming you will have an fmic exhaust and intake

Hmmm I'm Not sure but yeah Mayb its a Nissan turbo. And what is a fmic exhaust and intake? I I know. What intake is but idk what fmic is. Tks
I'm going to guess timate its a Nissan turbo. Should be fine with msp Ecu and 8psi assuming you will have an fmic exhaust and intake

Exhaust- decent flowing cat back, less back pressure the better

Fmic- front mount intercooler, eBay kit is fine

for exhause i only have a greddy evo 2 muffler, and i do have a intercooler kit. i have a cxracing intercooler kit.

Or the ssafc right? I think im gonna get a msp ecu with the ssafc. i think thats my best option.

Last edited:
The msp ecu is not at all tuned for the 1.8 or automatic. You will need a complete standalone to handle fuel and timing. The ssafc will not do this.

So what does the standalone do? replace the cars ecu? and Is the megasquirt II a stand alone? so that means i cant use neither one, nor the msp ecu nor the ssafc.
The msp ecu is not at all tuned for the 1.8 or automatic. You will need a complete standalone to handle fuel and timing. The ssafc will not do this.

It replaces most of the functions that an ECU does such as timing, fuel, rev limit etc etc. Idle if you choose to do so.

In regards to why the microrech and haltec are better, for you *perhaps* tweety the difference is negligable however forgive me for saying this mazdaprotegeES but you do not know much about ECUs or standalones therefore tackling the process of assembling a megasquirt, creating a base map etc etc is going to cost you to acquire that expertise or your going to have a massive learning curve to get anywhere.

Further, im unsure if this has changed but prebuilt units used to require modification to work with FS/FP engines as they didnt support dual coils IIRC. The other matter is that the MS is 12x12 mapping stock IIRC which isn't as good as MTs 16x16 (though Haltech/Adaptronic have 32x32 but are more expensive again (dont expect change from 1500 AUD)).

The benefit of MT is also that heaps of people on this board have used them and thus there is a substantial knowledge base in the archives, maps and a thread dedicated to helping people whom have MTs with tuning etc :)

Exactly I don't know much about this stuff that's why I ask because I'm trying to learn this is my first time trying all this and i know ill encounter some problems but I will learn something in the long run. I appreciate all the help provided .
It replaces most of the functions that an ECU does such as timing, fuel, rev limit etc etc. Idle if you choose to do so.

In regards to why the microrech and haltec are better, for you *perhaps* tweety the difference is negligable however forgive me for saying this mazdaprotegeES but you do not know much about ECUs or standalones therefore tackling the process of assembling a megasquirt, creating a base map etc etc is going to cost you to acquire that expertise or your going to have a massive learning curve to get anywhere.

Further, im unsure if this has changed but prebuilt units used to require modification to work with FS/FP engines as they didnt support dual coils IIRC. The other matter is that the MS is 12x12 mapping stock IIRC which isn't as good as MTs 16x16 (though Haltech/Adaptronic have 32x32 but are more expensive again (dont expect change from 1500 AUD)).

The benefit of MT is also that heaps of people on this board have used them and thus there is a substantial knowledge base in the archives, maps and a thread dedicated to helping people whom have MTs with tuning etc :)

I will have help from someone that has built and tuned his own ms and tuned various others. Which is the main reason I'm going with ms. Anything is better than 25 yr old tech. And I'd rather have not as good and tuned properly than better but not tuned as well.

Also I'm 90% sure all ms2 and 3 units support waste spark that we use.

Back