What have you done to your MSP today?

Well guys, thanks for the help, information, etc. It's been a very long run for me on this forum. Unfortunately I'm going to be leaving the Mazda community after 12 years. I tried really hard to find a MS3 that fit my wants, but I'll be picking up my 2014 Focus ST on Saturday. It's a great deal, local, and I couldn't really pass it up.

Shameless plug, but I'll be putting some stuff up for sale in a week or two (Flik 17x7s, 15" snows, SMIC upgrade, and a full HID headlight kit).

Well guys, thanks for the help, information, etc. It's been a very long run for me on this forum. Unfortunately I'm going to be leaving the Mazda community after 12 years. I tried really hard to find a MS3 that fit my wants, but I'll be picking up my 2014 Focus ST on Saturday. It's a great deal, local, and I couldn't really pass it up.
Drove an St was as much fun as my msp. If it was an RS even better. Waiting to see what Mazda will bring for the next speed.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

I'd still like my MSP if it wasn't 12 years old. The age is showing and all the little quirks and such are showing up in this one as they did in my previous silver one. I'm also bored since I've been driving the same thing since 2005, and I want a hatch. ST just fit the bill and I like the mpg better than the MS3, even though MS3 was my preferred choice.

$300 for a water pump? I don't think my wife's replacement was more than $140 CDN when it blew up.

That's probably to have it professionally done.. I've heard it said that labor is usually the same cost as the part. This holds true quite often. Water pump itself shouldn't be too much. I helped my brother replace his timing belt, water pump, and hydraulic auto tensioner on his Subaru and the water pump was about $110 USD.

the cat has a leak that allows exhaust to escape into the engine bay which sucks... but i don't have another cat setup to replace it with.
You could just rig it with some exhaust leak fix. They sell a putty you could just cake on there for now...works pretty decent.

I'll be picking up my 2014 Focus ST on Saturday.
I would love to get a Focus RS but that isn't going to be a good deal price wise...haha.

im not gonna worry about it unless it comes up. for all the other work i did to the car to prep it, the money i shouoldnt have spent, its good. super clean body. engine is pretty good and all the wear stuff is replaced. someone will get a pretty good deal on it.

msp.. ehhh. im not sure what to make it of, but i don't have a budget for it atm. it just needs to work and keep me working. I think i might have to find a low mileage block to start working on on the bench. or a high mielage one i can drop in in the mean time. since an entire running, driveable parts car can be had for under $1000 i might go that route and save my low mileage engine beforei damage it more.

bleh. decisions.

Might be able to sell he p5 today. And if so im looking at picking up another msp to partout. I know there is a guy named protephile already but i think it applies to me more lol. 5 3rd gens in 2 years heh

still not sure what could be causing this weird idle stumble. thec ar will run great when driving around when you pull up to a light it will wait a second then stumble and want to die. it doesnt die, but vibrates a good amount which might scare people away. could it have to do with the VTCS delete? there is no CEL.

Well since the msp is selling very slowly I'm debating on tackling the water pump replacement myself. I checked quotes and to replace it at my mechanic's I usually go to, it's $4xx with a water pump from the dealer. I don't trust those Chinese made water pumps from advance auto parts or auto zone anymore after failing in 2 years after replacement so the water pump from a dealer is a must but $4xx is alot. I'm thinking it's not too difficult and I'm gonna finally buy a complete tool kit.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Go to parts store buybeck arnley or similar waterpump. And timing belt. Tensioner and idlers optional but advised. Get valve cover gasket too. Lots of guides to do the job but its easy justtime consuming.

Go to parts store buybeck arnley or similar waterpump. And timing belt. Tensioner and idlers optional but advised. Get valve cover gasket too. Lots of guides to do the job but its easy justtime consuming.
I went with Gates because you can order everything from RockAuto in one shot, ships from single location, and have had good experience with the brand. B&A is good too but typically a little bit more $$. All of the parts you list shouldn't be more than $350 shipped to your door and it takes a day for the job if it's your first time.

Here's the how-to I wrote up on it.

Yesterday I ripped out the HID headlights, swapped in the OEM wheels, and pulled out the gauges. Traded in #590 today and picked up my FoST.

Out with the old
IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

In with the new
IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2299.JPG

Thank you guys! I had both timing belt and water pump replaced 2 years ago so I'm assuming the timing belt is still good. The valve cover gasket was done around the same time.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Timing belt is orob fine. But you have to remove it antway to get to the waterpump.

Got my AEM wideband installed last night. Feels good to make some progress. As soon as I hit open loop I am running full rich.. gotta get that SSAFC installed next as well as my clutch and I'll be tuning.

Also ordered some ford escape end links for now until I go energy suspension all the way around

bleh.. im having a rough time trying to diagnose this rattling sound when you try to take off or when you start the car. it only happens when you dog the car at low rpm and the motor moves around a lot. when you drive it normally it doesn't make any noise really. im even wondering if its the starter motor doing some funny s***.. i hate to imagine its the transmission... but not sure what other things i could be.

Pulled rocker mouldings off to inspect rockers. Both sides actually very clean considering the quarter panels have some rust holes. Fitting up quarters for patches.
Learned a neat trick - if you take a right front fender, it has the exact same shape for the left quarter panel dogleg/quarter and vice versa. Mine is a lil rotten so I ripped the front fenders off the parts car (02 es 2.0). Should be glued in this week sometime.
Also finishing up swapping all 4 doors out as the lower lips on mine were rotted out. Picked up 4 complete doors with everything for $100. Learned another neat trick - msp and p5 rear doors have a different window frame fml. Drilled out msp window frames and p5 window frames, swapped, welded, good to go.

got a lot of the msp back together today. just need to finish up the passenger side brake, bumper and put the interior together.

however i seem to have lost one of the brake caliper bracket bolts. 17mm hex bolt. cant anyone tell me the thread size? quite surprised the pope downpipe mated to my stock exhaust. will prob flex and leak. maybe an additional gasket will be needed but for now its mated and looks like it will work.
after building the p5, my msp doesnt look nearly as nice underhood. when life crap settles down a little bit, ill have to start doing a proper build on her.

Nah. I cut them all off. Seems like a bearing that only makes noise at 2000 rpm on the input shaft and only in light load

Back