What have you done to your MSP today?

Wow, I'm surprised the stock turbo will hold 16psi to redline. I thought for sure it would max out lower than that.

I did too, but I was datalogging runs yesterday and thats what the ssafv shows. Actually, i want to say it eventually falls to right below 15 towards the ass end of the rpm range, but maintained 16s for the majority of it

Taking apart the other motor today. About ready to take off the head...

I did too, but I was datalogging runs yesterday and thats what the ssafv shows. Actually, i want to say it eventually falls to right below 15 towards the ass end of the rpm range, but maintained 16s for the majority of it
Are you on a stock WG, or aftermarket? I've had problems with stock WG's being weak and not holding boost in the upper RPM's, especially on small turbo's and stock manifolds. That's on Nissan stuff though, but it's still Garrett turbo's.

Wastegate itself is orobably sticking against the housing. Theres a thread about it and i experienced something similar. Pilled the turbo.and the shaft for the wasyegate actuator had come out of the housong and allowed the wastegate to get jammed open against the housing and couldnt build more than 3psi.

let's assume the wastegate flap is stuck, could it be worked back to its proper position while everything is on the car?

edit: got a pic. can u tell if it backed out from the picture?

i-rzMpNZ9-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Got my first set of MSP wheels returned from restoration. I gave them a piece of brushed brass to use as a color guide. These first three pics are under direct sunlight - came out really close to how I envisioned it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This last pic is in the shade - not as close without the metallic popping in the sunlight, but still an interesting and unique color.
attachment.php

My 2nd set of wheels I'm going to experiment with converting to 3 piece. The guys at Memoryfab say it's impossible but I'm still going to try. Would love to convert these to something along the lines of an 18 or 19x8 +35

My 2nd set of wheels I'm going to experiment with converting to 3 piece. The guys at Memoryfab say it's impossible but I'm still going to try. Would love to convert these to something along the lines of an 18 or 19x8 +35

Remember just because it can be done doesn't mean it should... Wheels are a vital safety component so if you're gonna do it, do it right and be smart about it. Don't just glue/weld some lips on and expect it to hold... Wouldn't want the wheels to separate while driving down the road or taking a corner at speed. Just a thought...

Remember just because it can be done doesn't mean it should... Wheels are a vital safety component so if you're gonna do it, do it right and be smart about it. Don't just glue/weld some lips on and expect it to hold... Wouldn't want the wheels to separate while driving down the road or taking a corner at speed. Just a thought...

Conversion won't be just adding a lip. It will consist of cutting out the face of the MSP wheels, machining down the outer edge to get enough flat area for barrels and lips to mount to, drilling the holes and mounting the faces to new individual barrels and lips. A lot of machine work and custom CAD drawings to make sure everything is done right but they will end up as 3 piece bolted, with 30-40 bolts (bolt holes will be determined by which brand of barrels I go with). Will probably be using 40 hole Work wheel barrels but maybe BBS barrels. Haven't decided yet but they will be forged barrels and as a whole the wheels will be strong enough for daily driving. I won't be tracking on them, but for shows and driving around town they should be fine.

Some samples of this style done are on this Polish FB page here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Indywidual-wheel-Dzidziusbmw-Zbif/435223189880338

I'm in my late 30s and the MSP is my project car I just keep for fun, so I've got the time and budget to do it right. Currently in the middle of the engine rebuild (waiting on new Pope manifold before any major engine work gets done) so thinking this wheel project will start once the car is on the road again - probably around Sept of this year.

This didn't happen today, but has been an ongoing project for about a month now. I had major water leakage in the cabin when it rained. I'm talking like 3 inches on the floor; I could cup it in my hands. Pulled out the entire interior that night. I found a rubber grommet on the driver's side that was missing, and the drainage channel within the fender well would overflow through it because it was plugged. After replacing that, and unclogging both sides that fixed the driver's side issue. It took longer to find, but the passenger side footwell had a cracked body seam that has been a PITA to seal up.

^^ Make sure you post some pics up when you get those mounted. Looking to paint mine this summer as well.
Will, do. Will be a while though. I won't be mounting wheels till the engine rebuild is done. The new Pope cast manifold is holding up the build now so i don't expect to be mounting the wheels till Sept.

I took someone else's photo and photoshopped it to get an idea of how it would look:
MSP-Wheels-Bronze.jpg

If you're able to pull it off man... More power to you. Just be safe/smart about it... Sounds like you got a plan.
yeah, I've been doing quite a bit of research to see how feasible it is. I had wanted to do a rear mounted face (or bolted lip to the stock wheel) cause I prefer the look of the bolts going into the polished metal vs into the face but I don't think those will work. Rear mounted means the front lip would have to be tiny to get the offsets workable. Bolting the lip may work, but would be putting a lot of stress on a maximum 1" lip before there's too much poke for my taste. So it looks like I'll have to do a front mounted face so I can split the barrel/lip more evenly. Benefit for this is I can step up to a bigger size easier which means technically I could build these as 19s and swap out the lip side and run these wide enough for my 370 if I wanted to.

First I've got to source out one more wheel to take to the machine shop to cut up and see if there is enough metal left at 17"s to work of if I'll have to machine it down to a 16" face to get enough flat space for bolts.

Once I get it all worked out this winter, and hopefully the first prototype built, I'll post up a thread.

Those wheels are SICK!
Thanks bro. If you mean mine - I'm really happy with how they look in the sun light. In the shade...not so much. The color looks a little weird next to the spicy orange paint. And I still haven't taken them outside at night to see how they look under moonlight or fluorescent lights. I'm hoping it grows on me a little more as the build progresses. If not, then these will be the ones I convert to 3 piece if the prototype works out cause I think they'd look much better with a 2-3" polished lip.

As for the ones I posted from the FB link - I think they all look incredible. Love how they took something old school that most people would throw away and made them the perfect balance of old and new school design.

Last edited:
^^ Could you do a photoshop of those on a Black Mica MSP for me? That would be awesome, as that's the color I have.

Almost done with the other motor. Had to find a 3/8 drive 13mm deep wall socket that was 12pt from a friend to finish torqing the head bolts. Should have her back in her home this Sunday :)

are these too long for turbo mani studs? they're about 50mm long. using stock mani

I think I used 45mm, The bottom center stud might be tricky to get the nut on

cool. so the 50mm shouldn't be too long? Just don't want to find out during the install.

Best bet is to pull out a bolt from your head, put a small screwdriver in the hole, put your thumb nail on it against the manifold flange and measure how long it is to the bottom of the hole. Then add whatever you're going to need for a nut and lock washer and it should be a very good estimate. You can always grind them shorter if need be. Just make sure the nut threads on after shortening them.

cool. so the 50mm shouldn't be too long? Just don't want to find out during the install.
45mm is it. 50mm will work. And make the two center ones a motherfucker... ask me how I know...

Anyone's fuel gauge ever drop to empty? Randomly.

Back