What have you done to your MSP today?

I might take a look at possibly doing a 5 bolt swap to my mx3 and hunting for some msp racing harts. Ill try the swap with parts off my msp in the coming weeks and if it works, i might want to buy a complete set of knuckles, spindles, and calipers from a non driveable msp.
kinda early planning.. i didn't wanna spend money on my mx3 but the more i drive it, i really like the car as a dd. i might keep it as a low and slow daily cruiser and do something fun with the msp and i dont really NEED the msp anymore.
I guess this is the first week of not having it. i kinda miss it, but the $500 pos i bought really turned out to be pretty good.

Size wise- which is more appropriate? 2860 or 2871?

And with that being said, keep in mind my propensity to preferio things. I've already killed two transmissions -3rd gear and cracked a case- with the GT25 maxed out, so I'd like to put the torque somewhere that would minimize the likelihood, or at least, the frequency, of replacing transmissions. While I can snag open diff transmissions from $50-150 all day long, I don't want to have to swap it out every month. If one turbo would place the power in an area that would make it less likely to destroy transmission internals, that would be great. But if you say it won't matter, then I don't care and would probably get the 2860 because, in theory, it'll spool faster. I'd like to make it to the 325whp mark. That would be great, and I can't see myself one day thinking, "I want 400" simply because no money will go into the transmission short of replacing it.

And with that being said, keep in mind my propensity to preferio things. I've already killed two transmissions -3rd gear and cracked a case- with the GT25 maxed out, so I'd like to put the torque somewhere that would minimize the likelihood, or at least, the frequency, of replacing transmissions. While I can snag open diff transmissions from $50-150 all day long, I don't want to have to swap it out every month. If one turbo would place the power in an area that would make it less likely to destroy transmission internals, that would be great. But if you say it won't matter, then I don't care and would probably get the 2860 because, in theory, it'll spool faster. I'd like to make it to the 325whp mark. That would be great, and I can't see myself one day thinking, "I want 400" simply because no money will go into the transmission short of replacing it.

If you want it to spool even faster just get the garrett dual ball bearing one. BB spools faster than journal.

I am going to end up getting a ball bearing equipped unit over the journal bearing

If you want trans reliability you need a slower-spooling turbo, ideally.

On a side note I got my MSP running for the first time in a couple months, have a vacuum leak that I need to find but aside from that the car pulls crazy hard, even on low boost it runs so much better than before.

You should at least consider the plate mod for the trans. Its really not tht expensive and will eliminate a primary cause of trans failure. With a aftermarket lsd and maybe 2871/3071r you would prob be fine.

There is really No need for boost lower than 3000. No surprise you've killed as much as you have with that tiny sucker blowing its guts out heh.

I don't want to go as big as a 3071, I don't believe.

I don't think it's going to make a huge difference. I would look at the compressor map and see which one better suits the target boost levels you plan to run.

I am loving driving the MSP again these past couple days, washed and waxed it and cleaned the inside before the Cobb meet last night. The car looks almost as great as it runs, even the ac has been cold when sitting at a stop with the new fan setup. Need to tune the ebc tonight but the oem style wga I replaced the Forge with so far has been far better, no spiking and it holds boost much more consistently making the ebc easier to adjust.

Damn I am a happy MSP owner, it is running better than it ever has since I have owned it and considering I bought it stock I would say the best it has ever ran. I can't believe I ran that POS Forge wga for all these years spiking and dropping down to 5psi even with the ebc.
I scored a titanium rearview mirror off an MSM as well as some cf style canadian door switches, can't wait to get them installed.

canadian ones had cf door switches since when? my wifes es does but not my msp =(

i started it for the first time in a couple weeks today just to keep it in running shape tili take it apart. forgot how nice the stock exhaust with no cats sounds heh. my wifes es will get that exhaust shortly. wonder if she will notice lol.

Waiting to buy a clutch... :(

Mine slipped yesterday. Oddly. It's semi new and I have't driven it much. I think my main seal is leaking onto it. REBUILD! aka forge time :D Good time to fab up a manifold and down pipe too. Or it could be hydraulic I guess. Still haven't figured out my no OBD2 power issue. The cig fuse is still good. Could be from the cig lighter/ heater not being plugged in I guess.

Last edited:
canadian ones had cf door switches since when? my wifes es does but not my msp =(

i started it for the first time in a couple weeks today just to keep it in running shape tili take it apart. forgot how nice the stock exhaust with no cats sounds heh. my wifes es will get that exhaust shortly. wonder if she will notice lol.

I assume they are from 03 Canadian ES and Protege5s, we only got the silver ones here in the US. I wonder if they made door handles with the same material.

Latest posts

Back