What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Had to replace the oil cooler gaskets because oil was seeping out. Found replacement gaskets on eBay and after an hour of time, no more oil leak.

Had to replace the oil cooler gaskets because oil was seeping out. Found replacement gaskets on eBay and after an hour of time, no more oil leak.

Can you please post a link to the gasket you bought? Is your oil cooler the black or silver one?

Painted my wheels during the mazdaspeed 3 brake upgrade

MS3 front brakes with Hawk HP+ pads

Clearance with stock wheels and a 3mm spacer

How do the brakes feel now? I always wanted to do this but don't like spacers and my wife would kill me lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's awesome! The wheels look nice too. On to the questions, Did you have to do anything with your lug studs to use the 3mm spacer? When I used a 10mm spacer on my Honda I had to install longer lugs (PITA) Are you going to paint the calipers? Good work, you have re-ignited the desire for Speed3 brakes in me.....

I had more than 6 threads of engagement before i torqued them with the stock studs. I'd guess 7 threads after all is said and done. From my previous experience, it's enough for proper clamping. I'll retorque the wheels today (100+ miles already) and see how everything is looking in there, but I'm not worried about the spacer/lug issues.

If you could find a "potion" to counter the itch, you would be a hero to many a car guy. (and their wives)

Aren't mods the potion to counter the itch?

"I'm bored with this car."
....Many hours and dollars later:
"My GOD that subwoofer makes my music sound better!"
A few months later:
....Many more hours and dollars later:
"WOOOOOOOO TURRRRRBOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

Etc. Etc. Etc. ;)

I'm super bored with this car, 6 years now! I have 2 other toys and that's why I'm not allowed to mess with this one.

Well a rear swaybar would be discreet and makes a ton of difference in handling. In my opinion, the rear sway bar and the brakes really shrank it down in the way it feels.

I have the speed3 bar a long time now. Once the bushings failed I upgraded. I agree, huge difference.

I'm super bored with this car, 6 years now! I have 2 other toys and that's why I'm not allowed to mess with this one.

The 6 yr old car need new rotors and pads. Instead of paying to get calipers serviced, you'll just get reman. ones since it is hassle free (insert MS3 where applicable) :D

The 6 yr old car need new rotors and pads. Instead of paying to get calipers serviced, you'll just get reman. ones since it is hassle free (insert MS3 where applicable) :D
Lol good one! Problem is I only have 36k miles on it, even my wife knows it's BS.

Tried to renew the registration, realized I need to get the emissions inspection done. :-/

NYC miles are very hard on a car, much more so than 100K hwy "crusing" miles. (poker face)
It seems Volvo V30 calipers are the same and dirt cheap. I found a set complete with pads and hoses with 15k miles for $80 shipped, damn you guys! Lol

Aren't mods the potion to counter the itch?

....Many hours and dollars later:
"My GOD that subwoofer makes my music sound better!"
A few months later:
....Many more hours and dollars later:
"WOOOOOOOO TURRRRRBOOOOOOOOOOO!!"

Etc. Etc. Etc. ;)
Now THAT is sig-worthy stuff right there LMAO So true on so many levels....

Lol, I can't leave this car alone. I developed a strange binding issue after coming to a complete stop. The passenger front caliper wouldn't release fully. The Hawks werealso squeaky as sin, so I ripped everything apart again, relubed the calipers, didn't find anything wrong, and replaced the pads with OEM replacement pads. Refinished the rotors and bedded the pads in and it's still amazing how well the car stops. The binding issue and squeaks are also gone! Oh yeah ... Since I forgot the caliper clearance without a spacer

Lol, I can't leave this car alone. I developed a strange binding issue after coming to a complete stop. The passenger front caliper wouldn't release fully. The Hawks werealso squeaky as sin, so I ripped everything apart again, relubed the calipers, didn't find anything wrong, and replaced the pads with OEM replacement pads. Refinished the rotors and bedded the pads in and it's still amazing how well the car stops. The binding issue and squeaks are also gone! Oh yeah ... Since I forgot the caliper clearance without a spacer
Those Hawks are notoriously noisy so you made the right choice. I don't think the HP+ is a real street pad, the HPS is their supposed street pad. More importantly, are you telling me the stock 08-10 wheel fits without a spacer at all?!

I'm not comfortable with the wheels being that close to the retaining clip, but if it was just the bracket/caliper, I'd take a grinder to the face of it and call it a day.

The HP+'s are one of my all-time favorites, but now that I'm older, I guess the squeaking was just obnoxious. I'll hold on to the pads if I ever auto-x or track it in the future.

This is interesting and gave me an ah-ha moment. What rotors (brand and series) are you using? I am using Centric cyro treated heavy duty series. I’m going to bet your rotors have a pretty thick hat (more weight). The centric rotor does not provide enough depth to physically mount the lug nut due to rim spoke hitting the caliper body.

Generally speaking, clearance is an issue b/c the MS3 donut has a ridiculous bulge to account for the caliper body.

Give the HPS 5.0 (successor to the HPS) a try. Not cheap but they are GREAT balanced street pad.

Back