What have you done to your CX-9 today?

I would just show him the install guide and point out that CorkSport did not recommend damper upgrades, so its ok to trim the bumpstops. It won't be a problem. Note that if you don't trim the bumpstops, you may experience stiffness when you go over bumps or road imperfections due to hitting the non-trimmed bumpstops.

The rear bumpstops on mine are not trimmed, but the fronts are. So far so good!

Overhead lights are finished. But now I ran into another problem. The vanity light is always shown in the manuals as a part of the "Slide open" mirror covers. On my 2021 CX9 GT, the lights for both vanity mirrors are on the roof above the mirror unit and not a part of it as the picture shows. Searches for a way to replace this bulb always show the light compartment as an integral part of the mirror device. And they also say it covers 2021 models.
Ok this confirms it. None of the manuals I've seen online or in the one that comes with the vehicle, that the vanity lights are not located in the vanity mirror unit but are rather installed in the headliner. This really smells like money grabbing from the mfg.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-19 213110.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-19 213110.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 39
Ok this confirms it. None of the manuals I've seen online or in the one that comes with the vehicle, that the vanity lights are not located in the vanity mirror unit but are rather installed in the headliner. This really smells like money grabbing from the mfg.
2019 is in the headliner

The thing is even though this is or may be a LED light, it will always be something you cannot replace yourself. Instead, you will have to schedule an expensive replacement by the dealer. The more the consumer can do, the less the dealers will make (e.g. the Navigation system and its' updates).

Last edited:
Hey guys, quick question. I know some of you have already installed the Corksport lowering springs. Just wanted some feed back. I’ve had mine installed for about a month or so now and I’m starting to notice suspension noises. First it was the front left and now it’s the front right. I took the strut assembly off and looked it over and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. I did notice however, that the strut bearing has some noise when I spin it. I think because the car is lower, and because the bump stops are always in contact with the strut bearings, it’s wearing the bearings out prematurely. My CX-9 is all stock weight wise so there isn’t any extra load that Corksport didn’t account for when they were doing their R&D. I’m going to contact them and see what they say. Just wanted to get some feed back from you guys who’ve installed it. Did anything like that happen to you guys? Also I might add, this happened after a 300 mile road trip. So a lot of highway modulations happening. Either way, it’s really annoying and I almost feel like going back to stock. I’ve ordered new strut bearings but debating if I want to go back to stock springs or install the new bearings with the lowering springs and see if it happens again. I do all the work myself in the shop so labor cost isn’t an issue for me. It’s just the time out of the day and parts cost. Sucks. If only Bilstein or some reputable company starts making replacement shocks, I think it would work. More so the Bilsteins though because they have internal bump stops. That way I’d be able to remove the factory bump stops that keep bottoming out and contacting the strut bearing, leading to premature failure.

Hey guys, quick question. I know some of you have already installed the Corksport lowering springs. Just wanted some feed back. I’ve had mine installed for about a month or so now and I’m starting to notice suspension noises. First it was the front left and now it’s the front right. I took the strut assembly off and looked it over and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. I did notice however, that the strut bearing has some noise when I spin it. I think because the car is lower, and because the bump stops are always in contact with the strut bearings, it’s wearing the bearings out prematurely. My CX-9 is all stock weight wise so there isn’t any extra load that Corksport didn’t account for when they were doing their R&D. I’m going to contact them and see what they say. Just wanted to get some feed back from you guys who’ve installed it. Did anything like that happen to you guys? Also I might add, this happened after a 300 mile road trip. So a lot of highway modulations happening. Either way, it’s really annoying and I almost feel like going back to stock. I’ve ordered new strut bearings but debating if I want to go back to stock springs or install the new bearings with the lowering springs and see if it happens again. I do all the work myself in the shop so labor cost isn’t an issue for me. It’s just the time out of the day and parts cost. Sucks. If only Bilstein or some reputable company starts making replacement shocks, I think it would work. More so the Bilsteins though because they have internal bump stops. That way I’d be able to remove the factory bump stops that keep bottoming out and contacting the strut bearing, leading to premature failure.
Yikes, I just installed mine yesterday and you've got me worried 😓
Drove about 75kms afterwards, no immediate noises/complaints. I'll let you know if this changes.

Unfortunately I can't help with suggestions. Wishing you all the best in diagnosis. I also want the Bilsteins very badly.

Yikes, I just installed mine yesterday and you've got me worried 😓
Drove about 75kms afterwards, no immediate noises/complaints. I'll let you know if this changes.

Unfortunately I can't help with suggestions. Wishing you all the best in diagnosis. I also want the Bilsteins very badly.
Yeah it sucks because I really like how it looks! No compromise really until now. I think I’ll be going back to stock for now though. It’s my wifes car but I drive it when we’re together so all that clicking and clacking won’t do. Installing stock stuff tomorrow.

Let me know in 1000 miles how yours is doing. I hope you have better luck than me. I’m still waiting on corksports response to my issue.

Alright update about the Corksport lowering springs situation I’m having. So I was able to take everything apart at work and I found that the top strut bearings weren’t the issue. It sounded like it when everything was all together but after taking it apart I found that the top of the springs coil is hitting the next coil down when compressed. So much so that it’s heard in the cabin as a “clank clank” from compressing down and rebounding. Also the blue paint came off so I know where it contacted. I’m going to contact Corksport again and let them know. Not sure if this is even the correct place to post but figured since I already stated an issue, the next posts down would show the outcome. Anyway, I’m just going to go stock for now until Corksport and I can figure something out. This happened on their springs that probably have a little over a 1000 miles on them. First it was the left side but the right side is doing it now too. I can’t get replacements because they’re all probably from the same tooling and batch. Here’s a couple pictures of the issue. I even used a pole jack to see what it looked like compressed. I couldn’t get a clear picture though due to space but it is touching.
IMG_1907.jpeg
IMG_1906.jpeg
IMG_1895.jpeg
IMG_1902.jpeg
IMG_1900.jpeg
IMG_1896.jpeg

Installed the Corksport lowering springs today on my 19 Signature. Install was very easy and straight forward. First impressions though, once I lowered the car from the lift and it touched the floor, I was excited like a little kid at a toy store. I immediately noticed the smaller wheel gap and with spacers, the stance looked perfect. Not too low, not too high. About a two finger gap on all corners. Instructions say to cut the bump stops but to save some time I didn’t cut the front and rear bump stops. I didn’t notice anything on my first drive around the parking lot and speed bumps. But when I was going over some dips on the road heading home at a decent speed, I could feel the back end actually touch the bump stops. I’ll remove the shocks tomorrow to cut the bump stops and reinstall, then go for another drive in that same stretch of road. it should make a big difference. Fronts bump stops I didn’t touch either but over that dip, I didn’t feel it get disturbed. I might as well do those too though. Ride is just a tad stiffer than stock. But it’s nice, it makes the car feel more stable.
View attachment 323731View attachment 323741View attachment 323820
nice rims -- ==great year ==keeper

Last edited:
Alright update about the Corksport lowering springs situation I’m having. So I was able to take everything apart at work and I found that the top strut bearings weren’t the issue. It sounded like it when everything was all together but after taking it apart I found that the top of the springs coil is hitting the next coil down when compressed. So much so that it’s heard in the cabin as a “clank clank” from compressing down and rebounding. Also the blue paint came off so I know where it contacted. I’m going to contact Corksport again and let them know. Not sure if this is even the correct place to post but figured since I already stated an issue, the next posts down would show the outcome. Anyway, I’m just going to go stock for now until Corksport and I can figure something out. This happened on their springs that probably have a little over a 1000 miles on them. First it was the left side but the right side is doing it now too. I can’t get replacements because they’re all probably from the same tooling and batch. Here’s a couple pictures of the issue. I even used a pole jack to see what it looked like compressed. I couldn’t get a clear picture though due to space but it is touching.
View attachment 324655View attachment 324656View attachment 324657View attachment 324658View attachment 324659View attachment 324660
Definitely interested to know what corksport advises on this.

Have you considered of there is any impact that the wheel spacers may have had on the fitment with these lowering springs? Be curious to know if CorkSport considered wheel spacers in the development of the springs.

Definitely interested to know what corksport advises on this.

Have you considered of there is any impact that the wheel spacers may have had on the fitment with these lowering springs? Be curious to know if CorkSport considered wheel spacers in the development of the springs.
Corksport is taking my springs back and sending me new ones. They said that it can be from manufacturing. But we’ll see how the new ones are. Its just time consuming to be going back and fourth installing the springs.

I doubt the wheel spacers have anything to do with that as they are unsprung weight and it doesnt change the way the springs travel up and down. I could be wrong though. Maybe it’s affecting the way the springs compress and rebound in their perches. I have no clue. I just hope the next set is solid.

Corksport is taking my springs back and sending me new ones. They said that it can be from manufacturing. But we’ll see how the new ones are. Its just time consuming to be going back and fourth installing the springs.

I doubt the wheel spacers have anything to do with that as they are unsprung weight and it doesnt change the way the springs travel up and down. I could be wrong though. Maybe it’s affecting the way the springs compress and rebound in their perches. I have no clue. I just hope the next set is solid.
Wheel spacer for sure have an effect on springs - they create a longer lever arm, which reduces the effective spring rate. A longer lever arm will put more force on the spring and cause it to compress more. Whether that is the case for you, only Corksport would know for sure. But, the spacers could be playing a role in the spring contact.

Wheel spacer for sure have an effect on springs - they create a longer lever arm, which reduces the effective spring rate. A longer lever arm will put more force on the spring and cause it to compress more. Whether that is the case for you, only Corksport would know for sure. But, the spacers could be playing a role in the spring contact.
Makes sense since there’s more of a leverage on the suspension path. But to be touching? Idk. I’ve had spacers on almost all my cars and I’ve never had issues. There are a couple CX-9 guys that have spacers on also with the Corksport springs and I haven’t heard anything. Unless they haven’t gone to the forums. We’ll see. Hopefully the new springs will be better. But I almost don’t want to install them because it’s time consuming and I’m over it. We’ll see, maybe I might change my mind.

I agree with the extra stress by the spacers but it should not alter movement where the coils would touch each other. Even if you bottom out and ride on the bump stop, the coils should not touch. Either design flaw or manufacturing defect

Back