What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Yeah, the backup lights are pretty much the same type of bulb. But when it comes to interior lighting, some types will still say w5w but they are not the "tapered" type that the Mazdas seem to have. I've listed a few here: These first two, while they still list them as w5w AND compatible with Mazda CX-9, they will not fit in the Mazda's interior lighting. Only the third picture shows the dual tapered ends to the bulb that must be used for License, Map, and Second row lights. So all of these, including LUYED say w5w but only the ones at the far right will fit. At least that's my take. Do you agree?

Yes, but again, it's best to just look at the existing bulb and find an equivalent. In my case, when I changed the cargo light bulb to LED, I took it out, measured it then looked for an equivalent online. DE3175 is what I found would fit.

Pull the bulb, find one that looks the same, confirm measurements.

Yes, but again, it's best to just look at the existing bulb and find an equivalent. In my case, when I changed the cargo light bulb to LED, I took it out, measured it then looked for an equivalent online. DE3175 is what I found would fit.

Pull the bulb, find one that looks the same, confirm measurements.
Yes and I think it helps to rotate the LED bulbs so the LED chips are facing downward into the area intended to illuminate

Yes and I think it helps to rotate the LED bulbs so the LED chips are facing downward into the area intended to illuminate

Yep thats what I did. The DE3175 bulb I used for the cargo light looks exactly like the bulb in your third picture.

The brand is Luyed, and I ordered them off Amazon.ca. Dome lights are already LED, and I didn't both changing the glove compartment light. Ambient lighting is a cool white, just like the dome lights, but dimmer. Probably around 5000-5500k colour temperature, but they will look different because the dome light is much brighter when it's on compared to the ambient, always-on lighting.

Refer to the chart you posted in the reverse light bulb replacement thread, I think the bulb types were listed there.
Yours has a glovey light? Mhmm maybe i have one and its just dead. I just assumed i didnt have one.

Yours has a glovey light? Mhmm maybe i have one and its just dead. I just assumed i didnt have one.
Yeah I just bought a pack of six DE3175 Interior LED White by Sirius. The problem is, I think the vanity and glove compartment are the only devices that need to be upgraded. I think everything else inside is already LED. The question is, which ones will be brighter? And, the overhead lights and map lights have two settings if you press twice for the brighter setting. But they too look like they are already LED. I'm having trouble removing the Number(License) Plate covers but again, they still look like they can be LEDs already.

Yep thats what I did. The DE3175 bulb I used for the cargo light looks exactly like the bulb in your third picture.
But what was the light bulb you replaced? Was it also a LED but you just wanted another that was brighter, or was it an incand/halogen filament bulb and you wanted to upgrade to LED?

But what was the light bulb you replaced? Was it also a LED but you just wanted another that was brighter, or was it an incand/halogen filament bulb and you wanted to upgrade to LED?

For my car it was an incandescent bulb. I swapped it out because I wanted the light to match the (factory LED) overhead lights in the second row.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I don't have one either, lol
Yeah, and that's too bad because the glove comp light is used more than the vanity. At least for me. It is very handy when you're switching out the Cabin Air Filter.

I have a small problem here. The plastic covers for the Number Plate lights do not have ears on the sides so you can pop them off with a flat-blade screwdriver, unlike the older Mazdas. I haven't been able to find a video on my model year that shows how to replace the bulbs with LEDs. There's a picture below.

Attachments

• 20231215_230345.jpg
    20231215_230345.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 29
I have a small problem here. The plastic covers for the Number Plate lights do not have ears on the sides so you can pop them off with a flat-blade screwdriver, unlike the older Mazdas. I haven't been able to find a video on my model year that shows how to replace the bulbs with LEDs. There's a picture below.
Thread '2nd Generation CX-9: License plate bulb installation/upgrade' Guide - 2nd Generation CX-9: License plate bulb installation/upgrade

Here is a thread for 2nd gen

I must have had the wrong online web manual. My first clue was that "tire" was spelled "tyre". Anyway, the bulb types for some devices were different ("Already LED") and the License Plate (Number Plate) must be one of those. There are no pop-off tabs on the sides so I guess that means the dealer has to change these. I'm hoping that the vanity, overhead, and map lights can be switched. But the map lights have two settings (Normal/Brighter) if you press the panel button twice. I doubt the DE3175 bulbs have two intensity levels.

Last edited:
Overhead lights are finished. But now I ran into another problem. The vanity light is always shown in the manuals as a part of the "Slide open" mirror covers. On my 2021 CX9 GT, the lights for both vanity mirrors are on the roof above the mirror unit and not a part of it as the picture shows. Searches for a way to replace this bulb always show the light compartment as an integral part of the mirror device. And they also say it covers 2021 models.

Attachments

• 20231217_152107.jpg
    20231217_152107.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-12-17 152953.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 152953.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi all, new to Mazdas247. I wish I'd known about its existence earlier! Looking forward to being a contributor in the future.

I am getting the Corksport lowering springs installed on my 2022 CX9 tomorrow and would appreciate some guidance since I'm not mechanically inclined.

Corksport install guide says that the bump stops and rear shock dust covers should be trimmed. However my mechanic (Jimmy @ Street Performance, Markham, Canada) does not want to do this. I'm not sure exactly why, but I think his point was that if I ever want to return to stock springs they wouldn't work well with the trimmed bump stops.

What is the right move here? Should I stick to Corksport guidance and push the mechanic to do it, or should I stick with the mechanic's advice?

Back