What have you done to your CX-9 today?

Test driving our 2013 with 28k on stock Duelers, I almost did a 360 on the main drag in Ft Collins on a patch of ice....I concluded we needed new tires as the 2015 we test drove handled great on the ice and snow. The back end does kick out easily as I was fooling around with it in this last snow storm. I'm hoping we can wait for better tires until next winter. I haven't even look through the manual yet but is there a light on the dash that says when the AWD kicks on? Or does it only light up when theres a problem? I could only get the TC light to go on.

Nothing like a full spin on College avenue during rush hour ;-) 28k on the stock duelers would have been pretty long in the tooth from things I've seen... regardless of the tread life warranty they claim (something like 60k miles, haha!) I'll probably keep these on for a while and go to Yoko Parada-X's in the future. Great tire for the CX-9 according to owners.

From what I've read (manual and this forum) you DO NOT WANT to see that AWD/4WD light come on... Means something is wrong and it's probably not working; bring in to service. TC light does flash when it kicks on, which is normal.
Of note: my TC does not seem to be fully defeatable. Example: I know I'm about to have some fun ;) and I turn off the TC >> "TC OFF" light turns on >> Get going to about 5-10 mph, and the "TC OFF" light turns off, implying TC is now back on... Don't nanny me CX-9!! I pressed the button for a damn reason and I want to whip your fat ass around! (drive)

I wish you could manually engage and keep engaged the AWD. That could be why the back end steps out so easily is that it's turning it on and off. It seems like handling would be more predictable. The TC is always annoying and any car short of a performance car is going to not let you turn it off for good. It's probably just there to help you get unstuck if you are stuck but if it turns back on a 10, then I don't know what the purpose of it is.

I wish you could manually engage and keep engaged the AWD. That could be why the back end steps out so easily is that it's turning it on and off. It seems like handling would be more predictable. The TC is always annoying and any car short of a performance car is going to not let you turn it off for good. It's probably just there to help you get unstuck if you are stuck but if it turns back on a 10, then I don't know what the purpose of it is.

Yeah, give the TC a test... Maybe it's supposed to do something different. And yep, I agree the TC will always be there in some capacity as that is the norm now... The 2004 6 I had before this car had TC that stayed off if you turned it off, though not nearly as fun if FWD to run TC off (it just turns into torque steer anyway).
As for the AWD, that's also the state of the times... Anything other than a 4-Runner, Jeep, or trucks aren't gonna let you force the AWD on...
Here's a hack though (I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT, JUST SOMETHING TO NOTE): When I had to put the spare on for the nail I picked up, the spare's OD is less than (<) the normal 245/50R20's... So it was spinning at a different rate (faster) than the other tires. Thus, the computer thought that wheel had less traction than the others and engaged the AWD (noticeable by how "grumbly" the system is at 35 mph). So theoretically you could force the AWD on mechanically, but prolonged use like this would probably trash the rear diff. and the benefit would be lost by having a smaller tire on the back. Like I said, just a note FYI :)

I believe the new highlander and pathfinder both have options to lock it in AWD. I know the RAV4 does and these are all basically CUVs.

I believe the new highlander and pathfinder both have options to lock it in AWD. I know the RAV4 does and these are all basically CUVs.

Well damn, right you are. Just saw the Rav4's quick start guide and sure enough it has an "AWD Lock" button...

Great Poster of Clarkson. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the grip on the stock Duellers as well. I know a lot of people have had issues so I was expecting the worst. Maybe my hopes were so low and that's why I was impressed. Either way the 9 did great.

And yes there's nothing like a little snow drifting/power sliding to have a little fun.

Well damn, right you are. Just saw the Rav4's quick start guide and sure enough it has an "AWD Lock" button...

Maybe someone more adventurous than me can find out what wire sends the signal to the transfer case so we can put our own lock button in?

Great Poster of Clarkson. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the grip on the stock Duellers as well. I know a lot of people have had issues so I was expecting the worst. Maybe my hopes were so low and that's why I was impressed. Either way the 9 did great.

And yes there's nothing like a little snow drifting/power sliding to have a little fun.

I have found that is an effective way to prevent disappointment... come in with expectations so low that you can only go up, lol. I expected the Dueler's to feel like steel skinned wagon wheels, so anything else is an improvement (lol2)

Also, really glad Top Gear is back.... Haven't seen last week's episode yet though.

I have found that is an effective way to prevent disappointment... come in with expectations so low that you can only go up, lol. I expected the Dueler's to feel like steel skinned wagon wheels, so anything else is an improvement (lol2)

Also, really glad Top Gear is back.... Haven't seen last week's episode yet though.

I missed last night's episode, but last week's was okay, I expected more from the series opener. Basically a similar race to what they did in London only in St. Petersburg. Car vs. boat vs. bike vs. public transportation. Some funny parts though. Also a review of the new Lambo Huracan

I mainly skip through most of the stupid bike/car/boat races, interviews, celebrity interview, celebrity driving and just watch the car reviews and track. Every once and while there is a good race like last night just because the cars were bad ass. The show has most definitely "jumped the shark" and have run out of ideas.

My Suburban has the option of 2wd, 4wd hi, 4wd low or "AWD Auto". When I first owned it I would hit AWD during snow/slippery conditions and noticed the AWD handling seemed a little off, just that slight lag in the AWD kicking in at times, enough for a heart beat or two of uh-oh. I now select 4wd hi in snow and ice and it feels much more stable. Maybe it's mental, but it works for me.

Mxer,

I just watched Monday's episode. Great challenge between the three cars. GTR is by far my favorite. I know they're starting to scrape stuff together, but somehow they still manage to make me laugh my ass off. Even my 4 year old can't wait until Monday nights to watch.

Now if we can just get the American Top Gear on History to be a little more enthralling. I'm tired of seeing Tanner Faust drive the hyper cars, put Rut in one and let's see him squeal like a little boy.

I stopped watching the American Top gear last year. I gave it 2 seasons. And that was more then it deserved. Funny thing is my wife, who isnt a car freak like me actually prefers the american one, over the British version, which i still hold dear to my heart

Now that I've had my 13 for 2 months, here is my list of annoyances! Maybe people can relate.

-the outside temp button....what were they thinking here? I have to reach across the cabin to find out what the temp is outside, why didn't they put it with the other info (mpg, miles to empty) so I can permanently display it? It feels as like they forgot about it and added it at the last minute before the final design.

-the auto climate control..Is this thing possessed by the devil? Every time I push it, it turns the recirc, A/C, jacks the fan up and changes to the foot well mode...WTF is wrong with it? I can see the fan being automatically controlled, but why does it change the mode? I don't always want it blowing at my feet. And if I change the mode, it turns the auto off but leaves it in recirc and the A/C on. I just quit trying to use it anymore.

-The bluetooth streaming is no good but I don't really use it that much anyways.

-getting in is kinda challenging for me due to the height of the seat (and I'm 6'2"). I can see the seat wearing on the side cushion very quickly.

- all these quirks can be overlooked by the amazing seats! I love them! They are some of the most comfortable and supportive seats I've driven in especially for a CUV. They are better than my STI seats.

-driveability- this thing can just eat the miles away

Last edited:
It only blows the A/C at the windshield. Its designed that way so the windows dont fog up like older cars commonly did. I had a talk with my Mazda tech about that feature.

Bluetooth works awesome. But you have to do the initial connection between the phone, and the car. Once you have done the initial set up, Any time you get in the car, you wont have to push anything, and it will automatically connect. Sounds like you still need to connect the two though.

It connects automatically when I get in the car. The sound quality seems bad and the delay in switching songs a bit annoying. Plus it's probably an Iphone thing but non itunes music (Amazon music) on the phone doesn't show up or at least I don't know how to navigate to it. It's not that big of deal since I mainly just listen to the HD radio which I think sounds really good.

I get the A/C for defrost but I don't need the defrost when push the auto button. Plus changing the flow to whatever it thinks is best is really annoying.

I have always thought the same thing about the exterior temp. Very odd thing to do.

I'm not big on the auto climate control either.

My Bluetooth connection and controls work flawlessly with my Galaxy S3 and an iPhone5.

And the seats.. Don't get me started on how perfect they are! I drove 12.5 hours only stopping twice for gas and didn't feel at all tired.

Top Gear america is basically unwatchable.

THIS^

Been gone a little while thanks to work --> What have I done to the 9? Nothing really, other than driving it more than I typically do for work (driving to another site). Extra 40 miles total a day than if i were just going to work. Nice highway cruise in that thing though.

As far as the auto climate, I'll throw in my comment as well. I use it all the time, and I find it better than the old mazda system in my 2004 6. It used to be that auto turned off if you turned off the AC, but it still controlled fan speed. Now, I just leave it on, and then I don't have to hit the A/C button. Yeah, any time you change it from Front Defrost or something and go back, the AC will kick on, but it's just another button press. I think it's a little over zealous in fan speed (wish you could set a maximum for auto) in the morning when it comes up to temp an blasts it, or when you get in in the afternoon. But overall it's better than my previous Auto experiences. I like that it switches between the blower modes based on temperature. Basically, I typically give in to my robot overlords.

Bought these mats back in the fall. This won't be any interest to those of you in snow country. Certainly don't need mud and snow protection in Florida, but did want something that would contain some afternoon rain water. We had always used the clear aftermarket mats from the autoparts store in the previous vehicle (Jeep Grand Cherokee), but those were much too small for the wide CX-9 floor plan. The other half also wanted something that looked less SUV-ish than the WeatherTechs. Also wanted something that wouldn't show every spec of sand/gravel/dirt that got tracked in. so that eliminated black.

Well, browsing the interweb, I found Lloyd Mats. The make a lot of higher end customs fit mats. I found one particular style call "North-Ridge." It has pattern to it that at least contains a little bit of water from wet shoes. Below is a sample in gray and clear.

I bought these from a seller on eBay ( https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)) but they are available from lots of different retailers.

nr-lt-grey.jpg
nr-clear.jpg

You can't judge by the sample above, but as it turns out, the "clear" is rather translucent and ends up hiding a lot of the day to day sand and gravel. They are custom fit to the car - pretty much a carbon copy template of the factory mats.

IMG_8052-XL.jpg

IMG_8098-XL.jpg

Also, they highly recommend removing the old mats - I presume they don't want liability if one gets hung up under the gas or brake pedal. But I decide to leave them in any way. The gas pedal doesn't even get close to bottoming out on the mats. The mats have the little spike bottom side to keep them from moving. I figured if they're going to wear or leave marks on anything, I'd rather it leave some wear on the easily replaceably mats instead of the factory carpet. It's been working just fine and then don't have any tendency to move.

Back