weird boost issue

byohndspeed

Contributor
ok i have had joes mcb on for about 2 years only have had minimal boost spike. it was set at 9 psi and spikes just abit over 10. i drove the car yestarday and noticed it went up to about 15 psi and i let off. not sure how far it would have gone. i have checked the lines to the wga and they seem ok. so, do you think the wga has gone bad or any idea what i should look for?

I have seen this problem before on here before with other members. Its probably the wastegate. ATP makes a direct replacement for approx. $80.

yeah i was figuring that it was the wga. to bad this didnt happen a few weeks ago when i was in arizona visiting. i could have picked it up when i went in to see ben at atp...oh well, guess i'll have to call him and see what he can do for me..

You might want to double check that MBC. I had a joep as well, and it was spiking like crazy until I took it off. No more spikes.

I gaurantee its the wga, I just replaced mine with the ATP one. And you wont need the mbc after you put the actuator on, I boost to a steady 9psi just with the actuator and my other mods. Mine was doing the exact same thing. scary thing is I videotaped the gauge and it hit 19psi! But it usually was around 15psi.

Velocifero said:
I gaurantee its the wga, I just replaced mine with the ATP one. And you wont need the mbc after you put the actuator on, I boost to a steady 9psi just with the actuator and my other mods. Mine was doing the exact same thing. scary thing is I videotaped the gauge and it hit 19psi! But it usually was around 15psi.
was that the universal "6 psi" wga?

does that just run at arond 9 psi?

msp2003.5 said:

ATP Turbo said:
Code: ATP-WGT-011B
Price:$59.00

Actuator 6 PSI, wastegate. Universal use or Use with ATP-WGT-011 to allow GT28RS on tranversly mounted SR20 application.

the arm isn't adjustable like the OEM one, and the diaphragm is stiffer so thats why it boosts a little more on our turbo. It isn't hard to put on, but you will have to exersise patience when doing it, and have a strong buddy handy to push the arm down when you go to attach it to the wastegate lever.

Attachments

• actuator.bmp
    594.2 KB · Views: 1,361
BTW, ATP is great and they ship uber fast, I had it I think two days later, plus I had ordered couplings and vac line from them. Good company.

byohndspeed said:
ok i have had joes mcb on for about 2 years only have had minimal boost spike. it was set at 9 psi and spikes just abit over 10. i drove the car yestarday and noticed it went up to about 15 psi and i let off. not sure how far it would have gone. i have checked the lines to the wga and they seem ok. so, do you think the wga has gone bad or any idea what i should look for?

MBC's are s***. This is normal. The often fail a year or so after they are installed.

Yea, I would definately remove the MBC first and see if it still does it. It might save you from have to buy and install a new wastegate.

kamon8404 said:
Yea, I would definately remove the MBC first and see if it still does it. It might save you from have to buy and install a new wastegate.
sure, I thought he already tested out the MBC.

remove that and then see if your still overboosting.

After that it is the actuator, hopefully not the wastegate. If it is, then you need a new turbo. Usually it is just the wastegate actuator, and the one from ATP works great.

msp2003.5 said:

I put the ATP WGA in and with no MBC my gauge might hit 7. So I wasn't lucky like others to be boosting more than stock with that new part.

Velocifero said:
the arm isn't adjustable like the OEM one, and the diaphragm is stiffer so thats why it boosts a little more on our turbo. It isn't hard to put on, but you will have to exersise patience when doing it, and have a strong buddy handy to push the arm down when you go to attach it to the wastegate lever.

You don't have to push down on the arm. I used a basketball pump with the needle pushed inside the vaccum line connected the the WGA and the arm moved with the air pressure just like it does when its hooked up to a vaccum source. Just thought I would share this helpful hint.

y0sky said:
You don't have to push down on the arm. I used a basketball pump with the needle pushed inside the vaccum line connected the the WGA and the arm moved with the air pressure just like it does when its hooked up to a vaccum source. Just thought I would share this helpful hint.
thats smart!

Back