wastegate actuator help

mp5123

Contributor
:
silver 08 ms3
i have been searching for awhile i bought the forge wastegate actuator and have done quite a bit of research and still am until put it on. does anyone have a how to for install and maintaining adjustment and such with it. would it pretty much be a necessity to have a boost gauge before installing as this is my FIRST boosted car.

u must have a boost gauge or someway to read boost before u even think about doing that mod. Your not finding much info on this because its kinda unnecessary on our cars, our turbos will hold hold a reasonable increase in boost fine preferably with cobb AP or even a MBC. unless your trying to get over 20psi, which is too much for our turbo anyways. but hey if you get it on and it helps out please let us know, im curious.

yea sure thing thanks for your help i was thinking about doing the AP thing but unfortunately im still under warranty :p yes im still doing mods but since i have this thing thought about it and can just shoot it down to stock boost whenever it really needs to be taken in you know. wish i could some how find a decently priced app and a spare ms3 ecu expensive but worth it when motor goes lol.

Do you mean the Forge Bypass Valve? The WGA is on the turbo and changes there would be hard to hide from a prying mechanic. The BPV releases boost during high vacuum conditions (lift-throttle shifts) to keep the turbo spooling; it does NOT control boost level. It has nothing to do with the wastegate, which dumps exhaust past the turbine to control turbo speed and thus, boost pressure.

the thread clearly states "wastegate actuator". Nothing was said about a bypass valve and Im pretty sure everyone knows how bypass valves and wastegates operate, especially since they operate on opposite sides of the turbo. Hey Pat, it is a good choice to get a boost gauge to monitor your boost level and detect an overboost condition if it ever occurs. It will also let you know if you have a vacuum leak of some sort if your car is acting funny. Unfortunately, Im not too familiar with MS3/MS6 motors, so I can't help you too much with the install. Maybe emailing Sam at crossover auto can help and give you some detailed instructions. Although these cars can take a beating better than the MSP, you should still start modding with other bolt ons before upping the boost. Intake, turboback exhaust, tuning, motor mounts, and possibly a FMIC can change these cars a lot.

the thread clearly states "wastegate actuator". Nothing was said about a bypass valve and Im pretty sure everyone knows how bypass valves and wastegates operate, especially since they operate on opposite sides of the turbo. Hey Pat, it is a good choice to get a boost gauge to monitor your boost level and detect an overboost condition if it ever occurs. It will also let you know if you have a vacuum leak of some sort if your car is acting funny. Unfortunately, Im not too familiar with MS3/MS6 motors, so I can't help you too much with the install. Maybe emailing Sam at crossover auto can help and give you some detailed instructions. Although these cars can take a beating better than the MSP, you should still start modding with other bolt ons before upping the boost. Intake, turboback exhaust, tuning, motor mounts, and possibly a FMIC can change these cars a lot.

Ok, take it easy, tough guy. He's talking his first boosted car, he's talking about undetectable mods. The WGA isn't the best way to get boost control on this thing, especially at low mod levels, like nig3 said. Nor is it undetectable or easily removed for dealer visits. The WG itself is marginal for flow when you open the exhaust side up (DP+RP), whatever control you put on there.

It's not a sin to ask a clarifying question; it isn't the first time someone has misnamed something.

Forge offers a wastegate actuator along with some Bov's too. Purchasing the actuator was something i considered when i was upping the boost but it would not be along term fix for me. By the way i have a ko4 in pieces here and the wastegate actuator install should be easy enough to do on a bench but probably some bloody knuckles with the Turbo installed.
Seems straightforward though and Patty @ Forge has been helpful with questions before.
If you are going to take this further and want to have it tuned properly ( which i recommend) you should also consider an electronic boost controller. That is a pricey piece but i feel that my speed3 deserves that security.
As mentioned if you are thinking of adjusting boost be sure you can see what is going on with fuel. You probably know that already.
Good luck and i would love to get a report on boost levels with the Forge unit.

Back