WARNING:::Don't buy a Lotus

KaiserSoze

:
2008 Cosmic Blue MAZDASPEED3 Sport
brokenwheel.jpg

Since there was no explanation for this picture when I found it on the internetz, I'm just going to assume that this happened during normal daily driving. So if any of you have a Lotus as a toy (or even worse, daily driver), you should get rid of it immediately. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU OR ANYONE YOU LOVE!!

Or we could all stop bashing Rota rims based on two or three pics of broken rims that have no explanation of how they broke. That's cool if you don't like knockoffs, but don't try to use the "they're unsafe" argument anymore. Thank you.

:::Rant off:::

not sure if your being sarcastic or not. This had to be an accident. Lotus' are so light there is no way under an circumstance that could have happened.

Theres a big chunk out of the bottom of the rim, looks like he curbed it or hit it on something hard. Most factory wheels are cast, so if you have an impact on something that's cast, they are brittle so they could break like that. My guess is they slid into something and it broke from a side impact which a wheel isn't designed to take, well definitely not a cast wheel. They can take great stresses from being compressed, but not a hard impact from the side.

I thought it was extremely obvious I was being sarcastic. I'm just sick of seeing that pic of the Rota Slip that looks JUST like this rim anytime someone says they want to buy Rotas. So I thought I'd make my point by doing the exact same thing the Rota fear-mongers do.

lol, I've seen the picture before when trolling the Lotus forums... It's from some sort of accident, and you're right they are entirely too light to do that without an accident of some sort. I love the Lotus, and would kill to have an Exige and slap the K20 in our garage in it!

mmm lotus... I prefer the v8 Esprit twin turbo to the exige. I know the exige is light as hell and takes a track like a go-kart, but I love the raw power on the esprit.

Theres a big chunk out of the bottom of the rim, looks like he curbed it or hit it on something hard. Most factory wheels are cast, so if you have an impact on something that's cast, they are brittle so they could break like that. My guess is they slid into something and it broke from a side impact which a wheel isn't designed to take, well definitely not a cast wheel. They can take great stresses from being compressed, but not a hard impact from the side.

yeah, that's true, but most factory car's aern't designed around the same specifications that a lotus is either.

whether the wheels are forged or cast, hitting a curb at 40+ miles an hour is gonna **** them up.

same with rotas.

I know right? Lotuses are horrible. I ran out of gas one day and all I had in my trunk was a few bottles of Jack Daniels. I just popped some ol #7 into the gas tank, and sure enough, the car didn't like it.

Damn $40,000 car can't even run on bourbon.. What's up with that?

So I guess HRE's are crap too?:rolleyes:

19937d1118609139-issues-hre-wheels-hrea.jpg

By noticing the side blincker, I would say the driver hit something. All wheels crack under some type of scenario, it doesn't mean they are bad. google cracked wheels images and you will find all sort of quality rims that are cracked.

BTW the rims on a Lotus are made by Enkei.

I guess some of you just missed the point of this thread entirely. I'm sick of people using this picture to bash others for buying Rotas when there's no explanation of how it happened.

rotaposterkq9.jpg

I got your sarcasm up front, no worries. But I'm sensitive to it since I have rota's. They handle my track abuse just fine. I'll be sure to post up a pic when I slam a wall or curb and trash one or two of them, without an explanation of what happened, and just say - look what happened to my rotas OMG!

Back