Variable Wiper Switch?

kcdirtbro54

:
mazda2
I've had my 2 for about a month now. It's the 19th car I've owned and there's one small thing I'd like to change... I'd like a variable wiper switch for the front wipers. For those slightly confused, you would have a variable dial at the intermittent spot of the wiper switch. I had a Scion Xa a couple years ago, and was able to take the wiper switch from a Toyota Matrix (another 5dr hatch) and it plugged and played directly from the Matrix into the Scion.
Any chance anyone has tried something like this? Or maybe a Touring already has this? I was thinking a Mazda5 or a 5dr 3 might have this option we could swap over. Thoughts anyone? A new to slightly used switch wiper switch from the 'Bay is only about $30. Might be worth a try

I know MX-5 guys are doing this with RX-8 wiper switches and it was a simple swap. i've never looked close at the stalk to see if it looks the same as my old MX-5, but if so, i'd think there's a good chance that this'd work.

The only issue I'm seeing with an rx8 switch is that they don't have a rear wiper. Which is why I was thinking a mazda5 or 3 wagon would be possible options as donor cars. I may give this a shot once all my holiday shopping is complete. If it doesn't work then I'm only out 30 bucks.

Looking at Ebay, I can only find switches for the 04-09, which was a different stalk than the 2. I'm pretty sure the 2010 facelift changed the wiper switch in the 3 over to one that looks the same as the 2, but I can't find one used at all. Where were you seeing them?

I was only seeing it up to 09 as well. Give it time for these cars to end up in salvage yards and they will appear on the Bay. I'll be watching. And when I see one, I'll buy and give it a shot

Hey I don't have a 2 and don't mean to butt in, but you may want to search the Protege threads, and also look for pics to see if the switch might be similar to what is on a Mazda2.

99-03 Proteges can swap out a switch from a Mazda6, or Escape/Tribute/Mariner. I have a Protege, and just last week swapped out a switch I got from an Escape in a "u-pik-it" junkyard for $10. 4 screws and voila, I now have wipers that can vary from 2 sec to 10 sec. My car is a sedan, so the rear wiper/washer function is on the switch, it just doesn't do anything. I can live with that. You may have to remove the steering wheel shroud and just look at the switch and see if it compares to the pics you'll see in the Protege threads. If not, then perhaps check out the last model years that they made Ford Focus 3dr, 5dr, and Wagons?? Good luck!

Mazda2 is a neat car and I'll definitely be looking at it if/when I decide to buy new. However I wish it had a 6spd manual with a higher top gear for highway cruising.

I can try to look at this tomorrow on the shop 2010 MS3 to see how close the switches look. The 2 is on the lift right now so comparing it a little tough.

-Derrick

My sister has a 2010 3 and IIRC the switches look identical from the outside. She's got a sedan and lives 6 states away though, so I can't know much more than that.

keep us posted!

"99-03 Proteges can swap out a switch from a Mazda6, or Escape/Tribute/Mariner"

If it works, I'd jump on it. But the M2 may have many differences from those models. Having owned a 2002 Escape and lived on the Escape forums, Many parts from the 90's M6 were used on the Escape/Tribute/Mariner including the faulty CD4E transmission. Lost of interchangeable parts but the M2 may not be a match.

Hey Derrick. Let me know when you get a chance to compare. If they're same/similar style, then I'm sure they'll work since manufacturers don't change much between models as far as electronics and connectors goes. At least for simple stuff like wiper switches.

I'd compare the 2 to other newer Mazdas, but being a BMW tech, I don't spend much time near other car lines.

United Components is the parent company for Airtex, Wells (Wells vehicle electronics) and other part brands. Airtex part # 1s11229 and Wells part # sw8429 are M2 wiper stalks with variable speeds. You can go to either brand's websites though Wells is the only one with a picture. Doing a quick search, I cannot find anyone who carries these online since this part is unique for the M2 (basically due to the back wiper). I assume any decent part store could special order but I did email Wells asking if it can be bought direct.

How well would these work? I recently had a blinker/light stalk go bad n a Focus. I ordered the Wells replacement through Amazon and it was a 100% match and looked exactly like the OEM part. The Wells picture for part SW8429 will be an exact match too.

I did find a lot of interchangeable wiper stalks between the M6, Miata, RX8, Tribute, etc on different forums but the M2 design requires the rear washer and is unique compared to the others.

If anyone special orders one through a parts store, post back please. I plan to replace mine but its not the highest priority at the moment and I'm sure others on the board are a bit more aggressive.

Not sure that the Wells part would work...note that instead of INT on the stalk, it says AUTO. On other Mazdas, that refers to the automatic rain-sensing wipers; the variable dial would be to adjust the sensitivity. The question would be, would the 2's ECU recognize the function of the AUTO position in the stalk and the variable dial, and does the North American 2 come with the windshield rain sensor?

Good point. I see you can order a kit of rain sensor wipers. Expensive and varying complaints about those anyway.

Looking at the pins and designs for other Mazdas, I'm not sure one exists with intermittent variable with a rear wiper. I've seen a few with that option but the design and definitely the pin setting is different. I've looked at the Demio and it doesn't have any further options either.

Last edited:
I've looked at the Demio and it doesn't have any further options either.

This is kind of along the lines of my own thinking...I'd say there's a decent chance that Mazda sells a 2/Demio somewhere in the world with the switch that we want. (I mean, they sell the 2 in China with leather, HIDs and a sunroof, why not variable intermittent wipers?) We just need to keep digging.

Not sure that the Wells part would work...note that instead of INT on the stalk, it says AUTO. On other Mazdas, that refers to the automatic rain-sensing wipers; the variable dial would be to adjust the sensitivity. The question would be, would the 2's ECU recognize the function of the AUTO position in the stalk and the variable dial, and does the North American 2 come with the windshield rain sensor?

not all 5-door mazda3s have rain-sensing wipers. some just have the variable that we're looking for

Comparing the pin and design from the pictures at WellsVE, the M3 has a different pin design and the base is also flat. The M2 switch has a somewhat curved base. My son was over at Christmas and he has a 2008 M3 and it definetely was different plus it doesn't have a control for the rear wiper. If I had thought it might fit, I would have popped the column case and pulled it real fast to verify. The 2011 M3 switch is the same as the 2008 M3.

I'm doubting there is a substitute and the M2 switch design is unique compared to other Mazda models. Mazda seems to be going the auto rain sensor route but after reading about that "feature", many hate it but that's not too unique to Mazda. Why would a decent auto sensor design need a variable switch to adjust the sensitivity? Might as well have the old school adjustable variable wiper that we're wanting. I read one professional review on the M2 where they contact Mazda and asked how to disable the auto sensor and turn it into a variable wiper but Mazda said no dice.

We'll just have to live with developing carpal tunnel syndrome caused by flicking the wiper switch.

Back