Turbo XS rp/dp Stutter, pop, help?

nytmar3

:
Mazdaspeed 3
I just got finished installing my Turbo XS RP/DP combo. My only other mods are a forge bpv, trz motor mount, and a hole cut in my airbox.

Anyways I went out for a test and when I floor it somewhere up top near the end of the gear, I get a backfire sounding pop and the car stutters and has trouble finishing the gear??

Any ideas what this is? Does anyone else have this problem?

check my sig....i get some pops and stutters but never enough to struggle in acceleration. i get a slight hesitation SOMETIMES.....but its random and not very frequent....maybe 7 out of 10 times i run fine. re-check your set up and make sure its all in tight then take it for another spin....other than that id say your just pissing upburnt fuel. your 999,999 in a million though so i wouldnt worry otherwise.

Everything is tight. Neither of the joints have blown out. The car pulls super hard, I don't hear any exhaust leaks. So I guess it's just running too rich. Will an air intake lean it out some?

Guess I'm going to have to buy an AP.

no not really. the only way to really do it right is to get a tune. but goodluck doing that. no one can or wants to take the effort to get an a/p. waiting on cobb but the consensus so far has been subaru is more in demand.....much more in demand so they're prob going to be working on the 08/09 wrx and sti while leaving us on the back burner. other than that you could get the pnp or something. idk. sucks....but i guess its deal-worthy for now.

Yeah, just sucks a little, I've never owned a car that needed tuning after adding a TBE.

coil stretch spring mod?

Also what plugs would those be? I don't know what our stock ones are.

Last edited:
these are the plugs that you'll need:
http://siteground207.com/~protegeg/product_info.php?cPath=281_160_403&products_id=1343

as for the coil stretch mod:
credits to cld12pk2go

Remove ignition coil:

041908-31.jpg

Pull apart to reveal the coil spring:

041908-41.jpg

Stretch the two smaller sections of coils by ~1/4-1/2'' each.

041908-51.jpg

Put back together. You will now have more contact force on both ends, which some people have found to help.

It is really that easy.

As far as performance gains...?

Some of the guys were experiencing misfires under hard acceleration. The theory (which the results of this mod seem to be bearing out as true in some cases) is that it was due to spark plug misfires caused by poor contact at the spring ends. Taking the spring out and giving it a little stretch appears to correct the problem for some people. It is free and unless you are a complete idiot who shouldn't be allowed to play with tools almost impossible to screw anything up, so it is worth a try if you have misfiring.
To tell the truth, I wonder if the results are due to taking it apart and putting it back together, which effectively creates new contact points, and the stretch actually isn't even needed. Kind of like when your home stereo's sound starts to degrade for no apparent reason and all you do is twist all the rca connections back and forth a couple times and the sound cleans up because you cleaned the contact area.

Back