Transmission Swap

hat1018

:
2003 Protege5, 2006 Mazda3, 2015 CX5
Is it a straight out swap from an ATX to an MTX? I would love to put in a 5 speed in the future!

Depends what you consider a "straight" swap, but no probably not. You have to switch over a lot of crap to make it work... not usually worth the effort, usually cheaper and much easier to just sell your car and buy the MTX version.

Yup...(iagree)

In the olden days,(PRE-1990's), it was a pretty straight-forward swap.

Now with wiring harnesses, ECU's, powertrain modules, body modules, even engines being different across transmission choices, it is a big swap. Not for the faint-at-heart, or wrench challenged.

If all you want is the MTX "upgrade", and you are happy with your model choice, I think you would do better to find the MTX car that you want, swap the better stuff from old car to new car, and then sell the ATX car.

Last edited:
I just think that a 5 gear would make Zoom-Zoom come accrosed in all capital letters. lol. But I can see how this would be a seriously hard thing to do.

Do you have any serious modifications or emotional attachments to your current car that would make trading it for a manual one tough?

Do you have any serious modifications or emotional attachments to your current car that would make trading it for a manual one tough?

I bought our 06 in February. I've got the mod bug bad, the wife not so much. Wife is not so great with stick shift so we plan to get a 6 or speed 6 later, so she gets HER car and I get mine. I obviously want to have stick shift, thus the reason for the question, for future refence. Chances are I will have to live with an automatic.

I bought our 06 in February. I've got the mod bug bad, the wife not so much. Wife is not so great with stick shift so we plan to get a 6 or speed 6 later, so she gets HER car and I get mine. I obviously want to have stick shift, thus the reason for the question, for future refence. Chances are I will have to live with an automatic.

I thought that the Speed6 came in 6speed MTX only?

Well a speed 6 may come in mtx only and probably does. So I guess a regular 6 will have to fill the bill, unless we find a practice car in the meantime.

Sounds like it is time to go find a $1000 miata, and learn to drive a stick!(wrc)

Much easier car to learn on!

Last edited:
Well there is a thought. She just might like it and want to keep that. Hope not I would love to have a 6/speed6. So sexy!

Yeah, if you look around, you can find a well-running first gen Miata over 100k miles for under $1k with minor body damage, I have seen a couple and had to resist buying one just for fun.

Yeah, if you look around, you can find a well-running first gen Miata over 100k miles for under $1k with minor body damage, I have seen a couple and had to resist buying one just for fun.

Yes! Find, buy, drive, learn, enjoy, resell, won't lose a penny!(drive2)

Good idea. Jenny said she wants to learn stick shift so I think this is a viable solution.(alright)

Back